January Fishing SGI

Hello all--longtime lurker here. I've fished SGI for years from a center console spring thru fall, but i've never tried my luck in the winter time. I just bought a fishing kayak, and i'm thinking of coming down to camp at the state park next month to try it out. So, i have a few questions: Will there be much hope of catching trout/redfish around the oyster bars at the state park this time of year? It's a favorite spot of mine in the warmer months, but I'm not real sure where to go when the water's cold. I've read thru some old threads, and it sounds like a lot of the trout hold up in the river at Apalachicola that time of year...should i just drive to Apalach and fish the river? Also, I'm used to cast netting pinfish/finger mullet/etc. to use as my primary source of bait...how much harder is it gonna be to find them? I'd appreciate any tips if anyone wants to point me in the right direction as far as good areas to find baitfish and trout/redfish. Thanks guys

Replies

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 5,345 Admiral
    Get you some fiddler crabs & fish around the App. bridge pylons. You might can catch some nice sheepshead. Charles in Eastpoint at the Fishermans Choice bait shop usually has live fiddlers this time of year.
  • BayBobBayBob Posts: 827 Officer
    It will be tough finding baitfish in Jan, using fiddler crabs or live shrimp may be your best bet. Good luck and give us a report when you get down.
  • MarloweMarlowe Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the advice. I'll get some crabs and try my luck around the bridge for sheepshead
  • Old DogOld Dog Posts: 544 Officer
    I fish the Apalachicola Bay area almost weekly and never fool with live bait for what I fish for and that's mainly speckled trout. Buy some Gulps in Pearl, New Penny, Lime Tiger, and Sugar and Spice, and use them free lined or under rattlin' floats. Also Saltwater Assassin makes a plastic bait that we use a lot called the "Stinky Pink." It can be good when the water clears a little. And there is always the much used, by me, DOA shrimp lures, especially the 1/4 oz glo. You'll get advice from others on their favorite lures and all might be good at different times, but these have been good for me lately.
    You might consider launching at the Ten Foot Hole downtown and fishing the distributaries of the delta, or launch up at Cash Creek and fish the lower creek and shoreline of the bay.
    I hope you have a good trip.
    OD
  • Old DogOld Dog Posts: 544 Officer
    Thanks for the kind words Ferris, but as anyone knows if you go a lot you are bound to find 'em ganged up somewhere and on those days anyone can be a good fisherman. I've heard a fishing friend of mine say, "on the good days you can put broccoli on a hook and catch them," and that's just about the truth.
    D
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 4,661 Captain
    what old dog says.1/4 doa shrimp in glow is the ticket.rootbeer sometimes,but if I am not flyfishing,doa is what i use.there may be some gator trout and reds in lagoon at the park.also flounder.they are sending a lot of water down the hooch right now,so not sure how the apalach river and bay will look the next few weeks.
  • Spanky DunlapSpanky Dunlap Posts: 685 Officer
    January is tough however you slice it. My wife has said for years that I'm darn hard to live with that month. In May you can do everything wrong and still catch fish. In January you will need all the local tips you can get.....and a good measure of luck would come in handy too.

And.....be careful Yak fishing in the dead of winter. The river is deep and has decent current. A tip over that would be a PITA and good for a laugh in the summertime can be a life threatening event in the winter. Fishing alone in cold water, the gear you wear to stay warm will quickly become a big problem if you have to swim to shore or climb back into your Yak in 15 or 20 feet of water. It is not the kind of fishing that I would recommend as your first foray into Kayak fishing.

So....good luck, but I personally think you would be better off to bring the center console boat for the winter and wait to break out that Yak come early spring when the fish are shallow and hungry on the back side of SGI.

• MarloweMarlowe Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    January is tough however you slice it. My wife has said for years that I'm darn hard to live with that month. In May you can do everything wrong and still catch fish. In January you will need all the local tips you can get.....and a good measure of luck would come in handy too.

And.....be careful Yak fishing in the dead of winter. The river is deep and has decent current. A tip over that would be a PITA and good for a laugh in the summertime can be a life threatening event in the winter. Fishing alone in cold water, the gear you wear to stay warm will quickly become a big problem if you have to swim to shore or climb back into your Yak in 15 or 20 feet of water. It is not the kind of fishing that I would recommend as your first foray into Kayak fishing.

So....good luck, but I personally think you would be better off to bring the center console boat for the winter and wait to break out that Yak come early spring when the fish are shallow and hungry on the back side of SGI.

This is my first "fishing" kayak, but i'm experienced in canoes and kayaks, so the risk of falling in the cold water isn't gonna keep me away. Fair warning though, and i will exercise caution.
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'll post a report when i get back
  • fishinbugfishinbug Posts: 314 Deckhand
    Work your way up creeks into shallow water. Be prepared for sand flies/noseeums/flying teeth and be sure to have an ADL gold spoon along with the aforementioned Gulps. Those creeks can be a great place to get out of the wind which is a given in January. Stay safe and have fun. Merry Christmas!