Custom Boat Cover Help

Has anyone had one of these made and have a good recommendation? I got a quote for a Sunbrella cover in Tallahassee that seems pretty high. I know these aren't cheap covers, but I seem to remember the guy we bought the Shamrock from saying he had one made for about 400 less than I'm being quoted on the CC. Any help is greatly appreciated!
They Can't Us "You Should Have Been There Yesterday"...........Because We Were!

Replies

• BodineBodine Posts: 2,975 Captain
    Sunbrella fabric is expensive, and it fades too, just slower.
    F the feds
  • Jolly ManJolly Man Posts: 967 Officer
    Check pathfinder forum i bet there will be some great resources on there. The aquasport forum has fwiw.
    The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. - Charles Swindoll
    Try covertime off cc near the prison. They do good work at a fair price
    The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. - Charles Swindoll
  • KayakMacGyverKayakMacGyver Posts: 1,006 Officer
    Thanks Jolly, Covertime is who quoted me on the cover. His initial quote to me, based on the size of the boat, was about $450 less than the actual work order quote. Just seemed like a pretty big jump on a somewhat standard CC.

I do know sunbrella is expensive, but you get what you pay for IMO. I've had some covers that barely last a year with the sun/heat we experience.

I'm really struggling with the decision because for the price of the cover, I can almost build a pole barn or similar structure. Originally, that was the plan, as I would love to have a permanent building to house the boat. I see two cons to this route, however, which is what led me to Sunbrella. Please chime in with advice/ opinions:

1) If I only cover under a pole barn, the boat will get FILTHY without a cover. Happens to my neighbors every time they cut the grass (we have more sand/dirt than grass in our yards) and is their number one complaint.

2) Yet another structure in the yard. Right now I've got a pretty large work-shed (built by the previous owner that is set in a very consipicuous location in the back yard), an 8x12 Lean-To structure for the smoker and a chicken coup (again, built by the previous owner, but will likely come down.)

I really hate to put another "building" in the back yard, as I really can't see how I would do it without junking the place up too much. That said, the structure would need to be at least 25' long X approximately 10' Tall (minimum.) It would need to be enclosed, look nice, etc etc. So I'm not sure if that is the route to go....
  • bayshorebayshore Posts: 294 Deckhand
    I have used Covertime as well. Jan does good work and his prices are very reasonable.

If you want a direct comparison, Shields Marina in St. Marks also does upholstery in-house and they use Sunbrella material primarily.
    I built a lean to structure for my big boat and if you do it bigger is better. I wish mine was larger. You are correct about getting dirty. Another option is the tents they sell at tractor supply- check them out on Tennessee St they have one put up to the left of the building built over a slab looks nice.
    Shelterlogic is the name of tent. My friend has one pretty sharp
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 13,490 AG
    Blue/grey tarp, rope and a 2x4 and a bucket lid nailed to it in the middle of boat :grin
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • KayakMacGyverKayakMacGyver Posts: 1,006 Officer
    Thanks for the info Jolly. I just drove by TS and that would work, I'm really just struggling with the idea of another building in my back yard. I think I'm just going to but the bullet on the cover I know is going to protect my investment. You get what you pay for, and I know sunbrella is good stuff since I had one of their covers before.

Micci, on a side note, I've been using a tarp for the last year lol. Worked great when we were renting a house and I could park it under some trees that didn't drop a lot of leaves. I've blown through 3 tarps since we moved into our home because of the direct sun.

I also don't want to be "that guy" in the neighborhood, which has been a concern all along.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 13,490 AG
    Extend a lean off of your existing shed if you can and don't build a seporate building for it or, get one of those metal pole prefab sheds with open sides/ends. You can inclose it yourself if you want.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • klongklong Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    I also don't want to be "that guy" in the neighborhood, which has been a concern all along.[/QUOTE]

You were already "that guy" when you moved to the neighborhood. :rotflmao