Recommend a marine radio?

loggerhead mikeloggerhead mike Posts: 31 Greenhorn
Hello from nc. I'm trying to get prepped for our annual fishing trip to Florida In may. I want to install a vhf radio on my rig incase we hit some bad luck. Don't have any need for one bass fishing up here in the mountains so I want to go with a cheaper unit. We will be in the big bend area fishing the flats if that matters. Any cheapo brands to avoid? Any suggestions or opinions are greatly appreciated

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Replies

• loggerhead mikeloggerhead mike Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    Any chance somebody can tell me what gps position display capacity is all about? Something you have to link to the radio?

I'm looking at a Cobra 45 and standard horizon 1200.

What antenna would yall use for a 17ft flats boat?

• P.cliffordP.clifford Posts: 226 Officer
    For a flats skiff , just get a hand held unit. No wiring to mess with. It will work fine inshore and it becomes a good weather radio anywhere you are. I like the standard brand but most any name brand is fine. I like the water proof one so I don't have to worry about getting it wet. West marine has a good one for around a hundred bucks . Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • P.cliffordP.clifford Posts: 226 Officer
    The gps capable units give your location when you hit a distress call button. You can do without that inshore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks buddy I really appreciate that

• Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,057 Officer
    It depends where in the Big Bend you are going. Here in the Homosassa / Crystal River area, and many other places, it a 6 mile run just to get to the Gulf. Then add a few more to most of the flats. While convenient, a hand held VHF has limited range due to a much lower power output and short antenna. You might do better with a regular 25 watt set with a 8' antenna. If you only want the radio in case of an emergency you don't HAVE to mount it and the antenna permanently. You can put alligator clips on the power cable and just put the antenna into a rod holder if you need to use the radio. Takes about a minute to set up, but will not be in the way fishing from a smaller boat. And no holes to drill. Both of my boats have Standard Horizon radios.... about $110. I have used that brand since the mid 80's with no problems.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • SpecksOnDeckSpecksOnDeck Posts: 103 Deckhand
    I just mounted a new Cobra 45 on my 17ft flats boat. Fits nice on the center console. As far as the antenna, I didn't want to put an 8ft on because of the size so I did some searching and found a 4ft Shakespeare on amazon.com that I mounted to the side of my console and it is perfect for me. Tall enough to get a good signal but not so big that it is in the way. Also the mount for it can swivel so it will lay flat. So far I am very happy with my set up.
    Excellent news thanks guys. I wasn't wanting a 8ft antenna either. Well be fishing out of perry. Going to go with the horizon. Looked at some handhelds but I really didn't want something extra to keep up with ( battery charged ect)

Thanks again fellers

• katwoman85katwoman85 Posts: 491 Officer
    Hi all. I am looking for the same info. I just bought a brand new 2013 Key Largo CC 16 ft boat and I guess I would be better just getting a hand held unit for a radio. I have no electronics on my boat other then a small b/w Hummingbird fish finder that shows temp, water depth and fish. I also saw a lowrance Elite 5 DSI at West Marine for $350. Is this a good GPS system for a small fishing boat like mine. Feedback and help would be appreciated.
  • SpecksOnDeckSpecksOnDeck Posts: 103 Deckhand
    I have the Lowrance Elite 5 DSI on my 17 ft Skiff and really like it. Its the perfect size for smaller boats but has very nice features. I also have mine hooked up to my fix mounted cobra vhf so they work together. I'm very happy with both of my units and they fit the boat great.
  • Reel TeaseReel Tease Posts: 659 Officer
    I just put a SH GX1200 and really like it. however the capability of any radio will truly depend on the quality of your antennae.