FLATS BOAT STEREO OPTIONS?

Surf DoggSurf Dogg Posts: 130 Officer
I bought the boat with no tunes so starting from scratch! I've helped put in stereos in center consoles but not sure how to lay out one in a flats boat. The boat is an 18 Back Country. I have 2 batteries under the console. I am really only interested in an amp/sub/speaker setup and the ability to play music in an iphone or ipod through the system so really only need an auxilary hookup. I don't need am/fm or the ability to play CD's. I'd like a decent amount of volume and quality out of the system but nothing over the top. Would like to stay around $500-$700 for the equipment. What would you buy and where would you mount the amp & speakers?
IMG_7049.png

Replies

• Raging RioRaging Rio Posts: 62 Deckhand
    I just put a fusion in my 202 BC. I have 6x9 poly planer speakers, and no additional amp or subs. works well for my uses and cranks up pretty loud
  • rocketman1rocketman1 Posts: 185 Deckhand
    Fusion RA 200 with I-Phone/Ipod cable, 2 JL 770s, no amp - excellent set up. Small footprint.
    NO HABITAT = NO FISH
  • BiohazzardBiohazzard Posts: 221 Officer
    Not sure if you have a bottem machine/GPS on your rig but I have been eyeballing the Lowrance SOnichub.
  • beyondhelpbeyondhelp Posts: 392 Deckhand
    I think I'm going to put one of these in my boat. Not sure if I'll need an amp or not. It's 40w / channel and my boat isn't too loud so we'll see.

MILPRV15.jpg 01-MIL-PRV15_Rear.jpg

LINK

Shop around, I found this unit priced all over the place.
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    This might be a good option for you:

http://www.polyplanar.com/product/mp3kita-me52-amp-ma4055-speaker-and-ic35-panel-mount-adapter-combo-kit

I dont know how good the components are, but I ordered just the panel mount adapter so I can buy my own amp and speakers. Its on my to do list.

http://www.polyplanar.com/product/ic35pm-panel-mount-adapter
  • slayrideslayride Posts: 59 Deckhand
    just installed the Fusion MS-IP600G - ipod lives inside, has AM/FM connected to 4 AudioPipe waterproof speakers. Sounds fine without amp. this setup should be within your budget.
  • Alvin AAlvin A Posts: 315 Deckhand
    Just installed a JBL Marine MBB-3 in my bay Boat. Small waterproof faceplate w/black box installed under console and out of sight. AM/FM, USB drive, iPod, 1G internal Flash memory, Sirius ready...I love it!
    Weld-Craft 1656 Tunnel, Yamaha F70, Garmin 547xs.
  • Surf DoggSurf Dogg Posts: 130 Officer
    sweet thanks guys looks like i have some research to do!
    IMG_7049.png
  • Widespread PanicWidespread Panic Posts: 199 Deckhand
    In the last 6 months I have installed a Milennia and a Fusion. The Milennia went in a flats boat, the Fusion in a deck boat. Flats boat had limited space and didn't need to be loud. I built a mount that attached to the inside of a door on the console. Sounds decent, easy instal, not sure how long it will last, but it was cheap. The Fusion 600 is sweet, dash mount, slide an IPOD or Iphone in and close the door. Full controls for the IPOD on the radio face. Wish I would have put one on the flats boat as well.
  • FlatoutventuresFlatoutventures Posts: 224 Officer
    Go with the Fusion deck. They are amazing!!!
  • seavee05seavee05 Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    I have had Clarion head units and infinity speakers without an amp on my last 3 boats and loved the set up especially with the wired remote on the console.
    Currently, I have the same set up, only with 4 jl audio 6", and it sounds awesome on my skiff.
    With your budget, and on that boat, I think it would be perfect. Go with 4 Infinity Kappa speakers, you'll come in under budget even with the remote and you'll be very happy.
    BTW, the infinitys sound as good or better than the jl's without an amp. Jl's might be better with an amp. imo
    5l8lqw.jpg
  • Fred GreyFred Grey Posts: 101 Officer
    Surf Dogg,
    I have 4 JL MX770's and a Clarion CMD7 in my BC 189 and so far I am impressed. A sub would make me a little happier because I am a big music buff, but I dont know where I could fit one so I have held off so far. Have fun cutting all the foam out of your BC once you cut the holes in the bulk heads......its a real PITA!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • luremlurem Posts: 32 Greenhorn
    I have a 16' Hewes redfisher. I have the JL audio system and use my IPOD/IPHONE with out a head unit. I have the JL audio 770 speakers mounted in the front bulkhead facing backwards towards the console and a JL audi 150W amp mounted under the console on a shelf. I use a RCA type jack that plugs into the amp with two plugs and goes into a single plug. I plug in my IPOD when I get on the boat and have the amp powered by an on/off switch using one of my vacant rocker switches. No antennae or head unit on the boat is a space saver. You have to control the music selection and volume through your IPOD/IPHONE though.
  • flhookerflhooker Posts: 300 Officer
    I don't get you guys... A stereo in a flats boat! That should help clear out a flat fast!!!
  • MonomanMonoman Posts: 977 Officer
    flhooker wrote: »
    I don't get you guys... A stereo in a flats boat! That should help clear out a flat fast!!!

I agree but what about when you aren't on the flats? Just boating with the wife/family? Fishing offshore?
    This signature intentionally left blank.
    flhooker wrote: »

Monoman hit it right on the screws! I didn't just buy the boat to only fish the flats. Let me know if you need further clarification.
    photo.jpg
    IMG_7049.png
  • gladesrunnergladesrunner Posts: 119 Deckhand
    Dogg,
    I have a flats boat too and was thinking of puting in a sound system and had the same idea as Lurem (don't want to deak with head unit and antenna)........my bow ornaments would be my wife and kids however

BTW, what is the red/brownish stuff on the stern deck? almost afraid to ask
    I always knew BC's could pull the beeshes! Good job Chad, and good luck with your system. Dont cheap out or you will be doing it twice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    right on....the reddish brown stuff is a coconut that my lab husked like a ravid beast on the back deck. I didn't notice for a while but it quickly stained the deck a brown color! Luckily my bud had some cleaner w/ bleach on the boat next to me that took it off but if that would have dried on there I might have been in trouble.

I am thinking of 2 jl 7.7's, a 10"sub and a 4-channel amp. Not sure If i can squeez a sub in the console or not...have to do some measuring and maybe relocate a battery?
    IMG_7049.png
    Surf Dogg wrote: »
    I am thinking of 2 jl 7.7's, a 10"sub and a 4-channel amp. Not sure If i can squeez a sub in the console or not...have to do some measuring and maybe relocate a battery?

Do four if you have the coin, it makes a huge difference and you can then hear it from any direction when beached. The JL free air subs sound as good as a free air sub can. The only problem is unless you relocate the cranking battery and put the sub in the center console, there isnt anywhere to put one. I had the cranking battery relocated to the oil tank/pump hatch in my last BC but I think it affected the draft a good bit. I am still brain storming on what to do about a sub??? If I could find a quality MARINE shallow mount sub like JL makes, and I have in my truck.....life would be good!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • buttapollock1010buttapollock1010 Posts: 54 Deckhand
    I put two 6.5 JL's (did not have room for the 7.7's in my console at the beginning of summer. Put them around the rod holders, installed a 200 watt JL AMP. I used a RCA-MIC cord to connect to the Ipod and Iphone. No need to for a radio head unit since the Iphone gets Iheart radio, which plays all the radio channels!!!! My little set up sounds very GOOD. If you have room get the 7.7 and as stated before 4 speakers is better then 2! I would not put a sub in the flats boat as my two little 6.5 rattle my console on my MA 17. Four 7.7 JL's will sound very good two in the console, two in front floor/deck transition part. I would go with a JL amp for boats. They have held up good on my boat and my friends who has had his for a couple of years now.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,230 Officer
    If you change your fish finder to the Raymarine E7 then you will have all the I pad/I pod/I phone items available remotely from the fish finder. Just add speakers and an amp.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    Question would you take 4 770's and no sub over 2 770's and a 10" sub? I love a little base and not that concerned with hearing from all directions. Could always add 2 more 770's later on if I got a 5 channel amp
    IMG_7049.png
    I have my 4-JL 7.7's running off of my Clarion head unit and they are very loud if I back the bass out. So my plans are to ad a single 10" JL sub with a single JL amp to give me the low end I want. To me that is the least amount of equiptment to install, least weight, and least chance of failure. I will say this though, I believe the power output and more importantly the quality of your reciever plays a big part in whether this setup will work for you. Case in point, I have a buddy that has a Jensen waterproof head unit in his boat that has no where near as much power as my Clarion. Good luck bro!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FS JimFS Jim Posts: 475 Moderator
    Just got a new Pathfinder.. What set-up do you guys like for the rig?
  • Buccanr1Buccanr1 Posts: 437 Deckhand
    If you decide to put the speakers in the console youll never get a compass to work again. Ask me how I know.
    Most people probably dont need one on a flats boat, but I would take mine 25 miles off from time to time.
  • MonomanMonoman Posts: 977 Officer
    Buccanr1 wrote: »
    If you decide to put the speakers in the console youll never get a compass to work again. Ask me how I know.
    Most people probably dont need one on a flats boat, but I would take mine 25 miles off from time to time.

Any luck with shielded speakers?
    This signature intentionally left blank.
  • wynnvwynnv Posts: 189 Deckhand
    I have a Fusion IP700, four JL 6.5's, two JL 7.7's a JL sub and 2 amps in a 22 ft bay boat. I had to give up the forward live well (the boat has 3) for the sub and one amp. The other amp is in the console. Two speakers in the rod lockers, two below the gunnels facing the leaning post and two in the console. Good luck with the install.
  • twirptwirp Posts: 1,128 Officer
    I too have 4 JL 7.7's and a 10" JL free air sub...it sounded like crap (just the sub) until I glassed the console down to the floor AND put 2 yards of Dyno-Mat inside the console. I also glassed around the hole the sub is mounted in to reinfore the console so it woudn't flex as much there. It took some fine tuning and patience, but the reward has been well worth it. The Conch House hates me, but the ladies at the sand bars love it! As for the 7.7's runing off the head unit and amp, I don't know, you may end up with more boom than mids/highs and to me that makes a system sound muddy. The JL stuff is very efficient and doesn't require much power, but....you run that risk. I guess you can always turn the gain down on the sub so you don't over power the rest of the system though.

As for head units (sorry, I know this is for a BC hull and I have a Pathfinder with more room than you guys have but..) I have an Alpine CDA-M118A that you can hook an iPhone or iPod up to via USB, a 3.5mm audio jack for Android's or whatever else you have that fits that, a standard USB for thumb drive stored music, AM/FM and CD player...I'm old school and like to be able to play CD's and/or listen to the radio as well as iPod etc. Not to mention anyone who is on the boat can bring what they like and we have the means to play it. The Alpine to iPhone/iPod interface is AMAZING, probably much like the Fusion. I can go through albums, playlists, artists etc. with ease. My system will clear a flat, but it will also sink the boat with an abundance of ladies dancing on it.

In all seriousness when cruising the flats, IF I want to play tunes, I have an old set of headphones with one ear bud clipped off so I can listen to music with one ear and hear my surroundings with the other...as well as keep my phone from ringing out loud.

FSJim, where are you located? Join the Maverick Boat Company forums and go to the Pathfinder section there, lots of info and set up's there. If you're in NE Florida, you can swing by my place or meet me on the water somewhere, I promise you will like the set up listed above!
    Pathfinder-Logo-300x103.jpg
  • FS JimFS Jim Posts: 475 Moderator
    twirp wrote: »
    I too have 4 JL 7.7's and a 10" JL free air sub...it sounded like crap (just the sub) until I glassed the console down to the floor AND put 2 yards of Dyno-Mat inside the console. I also glassed around the hole the sub is mounted in to reinfore the console so it woudn't flex as much there. It took some fine tuning and patience, but the reward has been well worth it. The Conch House hates me, but the ladies at the sand bars love it! As for the 7.7's runing off the head unit and amp, I don't know, you may end up with more boom than mids/highs and to me that makes a system sound muddy. The JL stuff is very efficient and doesn't require much power, but....you run that risk. I guess you can always turn the gain down on the sub so you don't over power the rest of the system though.

As for head units (sorry, I know this is for a BC hull and I have a Pathfinder with more room than you guys have but..) I have an Alpine CDA-M118A that you can hook an iPhone or iPod up to via USB, a 3.5mm audio jack for Android's or whatever else you have that fits that, a standard USB for thumb drive stored music, AM/FM and CD player...I'm old school and like to be able to play CD's and/or listen to the radio as well as iPod etc. Not to mention anyone who is on the boat can bring what they like and we have the means to play it. The Alpine to iPhone/iPod interface is AMAZING, probably much like the Fusion. I can go through albums, playlists, artists etc. with ease. My system will clear a flat, but it will also sink the boat with an abundance of ladies dancing on it.

In all seriousness when cruising the flats, IF I want to play tunes, I have an old set of headphones with one ear bud clipped off so I can listen to music with one ear and hear my surroundings with the other...as well as keep my phone from ringing out loud.

FSJim, where are you located? Join the Maverick Boat Company forums and go to the Pathfinder section there, lots of info and set up's there. If you're in NE Florida, you can swing by my place or meet me on the water somewhere, I promise you will like the set up listed above!

Thanks guys.. Food for thought for sure.