Skip to main content
Home General Freshwater Fishing

Whats the best time to do some bassin?

I live on a lake that has bass. I go out every so often and fish with mixed results. I've tried to pick up on trends (time of day, moon phase, did it just rain etc) but I haven't really found any conclusive results. I've caught fish at 12 noon and at dusk the same. I don't change my set up at all. I always use an artificial worm setup as a Texas rig so I don't get caught on the vegetation since I'm casting from shore.

Not asking for super secret spots or lures just some basic advice on times.
Thank You

Replies

• RollinRollin Senior Member Kechi,KsPosts: 1,549 Captain
    There is usually a good bite right at sunrise and sunset. I like it a lot when there's a front coming, especially if I can see the squall line just down the road.
  • capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 10,850 Moderator
    Bass will feed at any time but are more effective doing it in low light conditions so early and late are usually best.
    What they are eating has a lot to do with it also. You're throwing a worm ,possibly weighted, so that may have some effect.
    If the fish are keyed on shad or bluegills they may not want a worm so maybe try a fluke type plastic ?

I guess the main point is to just go when you can. We all get "mixed" results when fishing , that's why we keep going. :wink
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Austins26Austins26 Senior Member Posts: 1,921 Captain
    :Agree fish when your able, we all get skunked on occasion
    capt louie wrote: »
    Bass will feed at any time but are more effective doing it in low light conditions so early and late are usually best.
    What they are eating has a lot to do with it also. You're throwing a worm ,possibly weighted, so that may have some effect.
    If the fish are keyed on shad or bluegills they may not want a worm so maybe try a fluke type plastic ?

I guess the main point is to just go when you can. We all get "mixed" results when fishing , that's why we keep going. :wink
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • FISHIN' GYPSYFISHIN' GYPSY Senior Member Posts: 336 Officer
    Any day ending in "Y"!
    GOD BLESS AND TIGHT LINES!
  • capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 10,850 Moderator
    Any day ending in "Y"!

:grin
    "You'll get your weather"
  • PoppopPoppop Senior Member DeltonaPosts: 181 Deckhand
    In all my years of fishing I've found the best fishing was always yesterday.

Poppop
  • Jim311Jim311 Senior Member Gainesville, FLPosts: 4,961 Captain
    Ain't no rhyme or reason to it I don't think. Fish when you've got time. I like late afternoon right before dark but I fish pretty much any time I feel like it.
  • red owlred owl Senior Member Posts: 712 Officer
    I also live on a lake- a residential area. Same experience. I think the bass quickly pick up on fishing pressure. here is how it is with me: after not fishing my lake for a while I'll give it a try and maybe catch three within an hour- at sun set. I get charged up and start fishing it again and after about three- four days- slows down.
    One thing I'd suggest: GO SMALL. Once the pressure is on you really have to use 1/8 oz jigs with black maribou, maybe 6" worms without any weight (cast with a spinning reel) etc.
  • RollinRollin Senior Member Kechi,KsPosts: 1,549 Captain
    This frontal system coming through should make for some awesome fishing.
  • mccrackermccracker Senior Member Posts: 354 Deckhand
    You just have to know how to use the lure you are using. You may be using the same setup but if it's colder temperatures the bass tend to be deeper and less active so you must use your same setup to that benefit just as in the spring the bass tend to be toward the bank eating more active baits. Use your worm accordingly. Cold sluggish fish want a deeper slower bait and lively warm fish want something quick.
  • davids8477davids8477 Senior Member SunrisePosts: 213 Deckhand
    Tomorrow, cause there's always a bigger one waiting for you!
  • GrillaGGrillaG Senior Member Vero BeachPosts: 1,260 Officer
    sunrise and sunset
  • FernParkKayakerFernParkKayaker Member Posts: 39 Deckhand
    hey reelsloppy....a lot of bass fishing is trial and error. Florida-strain bass can be very picky. How big is your lake(acres)? since your casting from shore you might be a little limited..why not get a kayak? they are getting more popular every year..there even is a kayak bass fishing show on the WFN(world fishing network). I also will tell you that weather plays a big role along with time of the year and water temps. A lot of stuff I could tell you, but I already write to much! :), and it would be to much for a message board....a few suggestions:

Try fishing with reaction baits to see if you can catch some, quick... Always try to fish around cover(submerged/emergent) vegetation(if your lake has some).
  • Nok21Nok21 Member Palm HarborPosts: 30 Deckhand
    Depends on a lot of variables imo. What times can you fish? What types of soft plastic are you using (color, size, style of worm)?

I like to use the Zoom big ole' monster (A 9" black twist tail worm) at night, and my normal spot has rather heavy cover. During the day, i prefer brighter colors and sometimes crank baits. For me, the best time is night time in the warmer weather and dusk/dawn in cooler weather.

If you have the cash for a cast net, get one with a buck bucket for your bait. In my area (Lake tarpon outfall canal) live shiners are mauled by bass if the bass are in the area.
    did you disappear reelsloopy? btw...to the one poster who said sunrise/sunset...not necessarily true. Again, to much to discuss on a message board. I catch my biggest bass when water temp is 80-82 degrees(I document all my bass over 5lbs, Doug Hannon taught me this). ALL my big fish are never caught early in the day(most are 10-3pm), and only a few close to sunset. Night fishing in the summer(late June) also can be productive, depending on the lake/retention pond.
  • get'in skinnyget'in skinny Junior Member Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Sounds crazy but all my BIG bass have been caught at night. On my particular pond an hour after the sun goes down with a Zoom Horney Toad Frog. I read an article years back about it and thought I would give it a shot. I havent fished for bass during the day since.
  • SaltyOspreySaltyOsprey Member Jacksonville FLPosts: 56 Greenhorn
    People will tell you all kinds of things about the best time of day, week year, moon phase to fish. They'll also tell you which weather patterns like fronts or storms are good, and about the temperatures that are best, and well you get the point. There are innumerable factors that affect whether a fish will or will not bite, one of which is the time of day. And any study, no matter how long term would be unable to accurately show the best times of day because of the simple fact that so many factors are at work at the same time. Personally I've never found any time of day to be better than any other, I've had 'em hammer lures from 6 Am to 9 at night. Just experiment until you find what seems to work best.
    satly, good post! You seem to be a solid/experienced fisherman!
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Senior Member SebastianPosts: 21,265 AG
    People will tell you all kinds of things about the best time of day, week year, moon phase to fish. They'll also tell you which weather patterns like fronts or storms are good, and about the temperatures that are best, and well you get the point. There are innumerable factors that affect whether a fish will or will not bite, one of which is the time of day. And any study, no matter how long term would be unable to accurately show the best times of day because of the simple fact that so many factors are at work at the same time. Personally I've never found any time of day to be better than any other, I've had 'em hammer lures from 6 Am to 9 at night. Just experiment until you find what seems to work best.

Generally correct..

Put certain factors that change by season in your favor....remembering fish are cold blooded.

Fish early in summer when water is coolest at sunrise...
    Fish afternoons when water is warmest in winter...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    I don't agree...I catch a lot of quality bass(5-7lb) in the heat of the day in June and July(Aug, sept, Oct-not so much) from 10-3pm(just as Doug Hannon says). Big fish get big by feeding. One reason why sunrise is good(although I have NEVER caught a bass over 4lb during the early morning), is because there is shade everywhere, so the fish come out and roam more and don't have to ambush baits(like they do in the heat of the day). Remember bass are part of the sunfish family, they LIKE the sun! again, one of the only reasons why you catch them in low-light is because they come out of the weeds, because there isn't very much light in the water. I'm off my soapbox. I already type about 10,000 more words than anyone else who posts in this forum.
  • chainsawcitychainsawcity Senior Member Posts: 169 Officer
    did you disappear reelsloopy? btw...to the one poster who said sunrise/sunset...not necessarily true. Again, to much to discuss on a message board. I catch my biggest bass when water temp is 80-82 degrees(I document all my bass over 5lbs, Doug Hannon taught me this). ALL my big fish are never caught early in the day(most are 10-3pm), and only a few close to sunset. Night fishing in the summer(late June) also can be productive, depending on the lake/retention pond.

This is exactly what my experience shows also. The biggest bass I've caught have been in middle of the day - 2:00.
  • Austins26Austins26 Senior Member Posts: 1,921 Captain
    x's 2 agreed

Originally Posted by FernParkKayaker

Read more: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?138661-Whats-the-best-time-to-do-some-bassin/page3#ixzz2u9KhoLo1
    This is exactly what my experience shows also. The biggest bass I've caught have been in middle of the day - 2:00.
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • FISHIN' GYPSYFISHIN' GYPSY Senior Member Posts: 336 Officer
    Fish in the morning, evening, or just ahead of a front. Try some night fishing with a black jitterbug or other BLACK top-water lure. Fish bone, white or light lures when it is cloudy; Natural colors in bright sun and preferably when it is calm. (I HATE wind). Fish bite when THEY want to. Go small, lighter line and fish SLOW. Fish AHEAD of yourself, not straight out in front of you. Walk SOFT and don't wear BRIGHT clothing. Sit on a bucket or stool, or the ground. Big fish didn't get big by being stupid.
    GOD BLESS AND TIGHT LINES!