Undersized lobster violation - remove from records?

TommTomm Posts: 359 Deckhand
Recently downloaded an iphone app called "Been Verified". Of course, the first name I verified is myself (you get one free credit).

I was shocked to find a criminal history dating back to 2004 - "Poss of Undersized Lobster".

I was new to lobstering and the lobster in question was a hair too short...the gauge had a hard time closing over the heard, but it did. Got the ticket, went to court, paid the fine, and since then been more careful.

It just amazes me that something likes this stays with me 7 years later.....and it is in the category of "Criminal".

Is there anyway to get rid of this from my records? It is a little comical to me that I have a criminal history because of an undersized lobster that was a fraction of an inch too short..... It still amazes me that the officer would have even written me up for it.

Any suggestions?
2016 Sea Hunt 225 Ultra / 250HP Yamaha

2014 Sea Hunt BX 22 BR / 250HP Yamaha **Retired**

Replies

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,035 Officer
    You may be able to have it expunged if you do not have any other convictions. You should contact your local clerk of courts for some giudance or get an attorney to handle it. FOR THE PEOPLE (joking about for the people).
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    Offices: Orlando.
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    Do not hold me to this but i am pretty sure places like that Been Verfied are just going out to places that aggregate public records. If that is the case Public Records will exist for some time and i believe it is next to impossilbe to get it removed. Below is the disclaimer from the bottom of their website. I find the site very misleading as the top of the site calls them backgrouind checks but the quote below says should not be used for employment or any other FCRA related purpose. If adjudication(sp) was withheld then it should not show up on a background check. Let me know if you have any other questions.

BeenVerified is a database of publicly available sources of information aggregated for your convenience. BeenVerified does not provide private investigator services and this information should not be used for employment, tenant screening, or any FCRA related purposes
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • TommTomm Posts: 359 Deckhand
    century7 wrote: »
    Do not hold me to this but i am pretty sure places like that Been Verfied are just going out to places that aggregate public records. If that is the case Public Records will exist for some time and i believe it is next to impossilbe to get it removed. Below is the disclaimer from the bottom of their website. I find the site very misleading as the top of the site calls them backgrouind checks but the quote below says should not be used for employment or any other FCRA related purpose. If adjudication(sp) was withheld then it should not show up on a background check. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you too all. What is a good way to check your actual background check similar to how an employer would? I am squeaky clean otherwise, havn't even had a traffic ticket as long as I can remember.

I support wildlife enforcement 100%, but there needs to be some common sense applied by the officer on flagrant violations versus what obviously could have been an honest mistake. Being stuck with a public record forever for a size restriction violation that is paper thin seems a little extreme.
    2016 Sea Hunt 225 Ultra / 250HP Yamaha

2014 Sea Hunt BX 22 BR / 250HP Yamaha **Retired**
  • CaptBlazeCaptBlaze Posts: 96 Deckhand
    DOG BITE CALL!!! 1-800-MORGAN-LAW!!!! That guy drives me nuts....
    Tomm wrote: »
    Thank you too all. What is a good way to check your actual background check similar to how an employer would? I am squeaky clean otherwise, havn't even had a traffic ticket as long as I can remember.

I believe the only way to see a background check similar to what an employer would run would be if an advesre action takes place. What that means is based on the information in a report that you were not hired. The same thing applies with a credit report for a car loan or other type of loan. Research FCRA and you will find a ton more info. Let me know if this helps. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,035 Officer
    Tomm wrote: »

I support wildlife enforcement 100%, but there needs to be some common sense applied by the officer on flagrant violations versus what obviously could have been an honest mistake. Being stuck with a public record forever for a size restriction violation that is paper thin seems a little extreme.

Go to this web site. I think it will help you. If not let us know. http://www.myflorida.com/search/results.html?cx=008503041933476338818%3Auddc80mgfdo&cof=FORID%3A11&q=fdle&sa=Search&siteurl=www.myflorida.com%2F#1117
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • We do 50 state criminal background checks before hiring since we work on military bases. Trust me if its anywhere, we can find it!
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 25,725 AG
    Here is the FDLE site where you can run your name to see what is on file. https://www2.fdle.state.fl.us/cchinet/ You will see everything an employer sees for Florida.

Actually, everything including an arrest without conviction will show up on a background check through FDLE. Adjudication withheld just means a plea deal for a first offender. It shows up and can be used against you. Employers will look for two things one is to see if you were honest on the application and two, to be sure certain charges aren't there. Myself is is theft, multiple drug convictions, violence, or similar type crimes.

As Ron said, if it is out there, it will show up. I also think it is pretty expensive to expunge a record from the system.

Mini Mart Magnate

cadman wrote: »
    Actually, everything including an arrest without conviction will show up on a background check through FDLE. Adjudication withheld just means a plea deal for a first offender. It shows up and can be used against you. Employers will look for two things one is to see if you were honest on the application and two, to be sure certain charges aren't there. Myself is is theft, multiple drug convictions, violence, or similar type crimes.

I could be wrong but i am pretty sure adjudication withheld will remain off an employer background check.
  • Mako254Mako254 Posts: 64 Deckhand

I could be wrong but i am pretty sure adjudication withheld will remain off an employer background check.

All judicial proceedings appear when you run an FDLE criminal history, regardless of the outcome.
  • irishff727irishff727 Posts: 948 Officer
    The only thing that won't show up is a expunged record
    time enjoyed wasted is not wasted time
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 25,725 AG

Adjudication withheld is not a not guilty verdict. It is a plea deal. It shows up when you run a background check Been doing criminal background checks on employees for decades.

My employment applications actually asks the following: Have you ever been convicted of a crime, entered a plea of nolo contender (no contest) to a crime, pled guilty to a crime, had adjudication withheld or received a suspended sentence (regardless of the ultimate adjudication) for a crime?

Mini Mart Magnate

• irishff727irishff727 Posts: 948 Officer
    Most jobs look @ a no contest with aduj withheld as guilty. In layman's terms u got a slap on the wrist
    time enjoyed wasted is not wasted time