Leaning post cooler fix?

kanakakanaka Posts: 343 Deckhand
I've wanted a leaning post for the longest but never did like the fact that the lid on the cooler can't be opened fully. Just "discovered" these. Anyone out there have any experiences with slides?

http://store.yeticoolers.com/products/Tundra-Cooler-Slides-%28Set-of-2%29.html/

http://www.engel-usa.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_genx.tpl&product_id=105&category_id=10&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=133
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    I have the Yeti slides. They work great but like everything Yeti makes, they are expensive.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,177 Admiral
    Good idea but for me cleaning the boat it just adds to the clutter.
    I like the Engels.
  • kanakakanaka Posts: 343 Deckhand
    Sad thing is, the Yeti's are the cheapest. Most of the cost is for the SS slides on these designs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jsrodguy1jsrodguy1 Posts: 545 Officer
    Deep Blue Marine was toying with the idea for a while not sure if they pulled the trigger and made them or not.
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    I am guessing you have a cooler seat now??

I have a buddy that owns Martin Marine Design and he makes a "lift kit" for cooler seats that elevates them to act like a leaning post. He has several options like rod holders, foot rest, etc. Gives you the best of both worlds, and give you storage under the seat too.

Let me know if you are interested, and I can get you his contact info. Here is a photo of one:

MMDCoolerseatlift.jpg
    I'd like a fold down foot rest for my lean seat.
  • kanakakanaka Posts: 343 Deckhand
    Small world! That's the exact cooler I have, a Todd that has a cushioned seat sorrier than this computer chair I'm sitting in right now.
    There's a fab shop locally that does the "lift kit" for these coolers. Just have to see one in person, I had the cooler unscrewed off the deck once, stuck some 2X4s under it to the right height, it just looked weird.

Split, I'll also bet you would like to open up your cooler lid a lot further too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It would be nice but my lean post can't go any higher. If I need to open it all the way I'll just slide it out.
    Foot rest would be nice.
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    kanaka wrote: »
    Small world! That's the exact cooler I have, a Todd that has a cushioned seat sorrier than this computer chair I'm sitting in right now.
    There's a fab shop locally that does the "lift kit" for these coolers. Just have to see one in person, I had the cooler unscrewed off the deck once, stuck some 2X4s under it to the right height, it just looked weird.

Split, I'll also bet you would like to open up your cooler lid a lot further too.

If you like the cooler seat, I know my buddy can reupholster it with better foam and provide a lift kit.

I like the leaning post and foot rest in my boat. I just slide the cooler out when I need to get into it. I keep a 100qt Coleman xtreme under it. It has no rubber feet so it slides quite freely.....In fact, I have to keep it strapped in. Same buddy made me a nylon web strap with buckle to go across the back legs to keep it in place.

Split Shot.....If you want a foot rest, I am sure most any fab shop could add it.