Fort DeSoto / Pass a Grille 12/7/13

I took some out of town visitors fishing yesterday, along with my son, Luke. We started out with 5 guys in my 21' Bay Boat (my stepdad Ron, father in-law Chen, uncle Mike, Luke, & myself). The plan was to target sheepshead for an hour or two in the AM, meet my mom and her friend for lunch, and then head back out with all 7 of us aboard for some inshore fishing. My expectations weren't too high, but it turned out quite a bit better than expected.

We tried the skyway first. Unfortunately the current was too strong for us to hold bottom with less than 3 oz, and we were having a hard time feeling the bites, so we decided to move to a rockpile off the beach where I've done pretty well with sheepshead before. We got fast action right away at that spot, mainly with small mangos and a few sheepshead. Then Ron hooked into something that pulled quite a bit of drag. We had seen a few rays swimming around the boat and I figured he had hooked into one of them. Turned out to be a permit! That was pretty cool to see, and I thought we were kind of lucky to land it with 10 lb mono & no leader. Couple minutes later his line goes off again, and it's another permit! After that everyone started trying to copy what he was doing and we ended up catching a total of 5 permit over the span of 45 min to an hour. Luke has been trying for a permit all year, and finally got his first, which was awesome! Unfortunately we had to leave in order to meet the ladies for lunch, so we left them biting.

After lunch, we did a little cruising around PAG & Tierra Verde, and then parked the boat on a grass flat with some scattered potholes. The bite was on immediately. We got lots of trout, a big spanish, a pompano, plus a few jacks & ladyfish. We sat there for an hour and rods were bent pretty much the whole time.

I didn't take many photos, but here are a couple pics of Luke with his permit:
DSC_0788-r_zps44330ba2.jpg

DSC_0789-r_zps0b3433cb.jpg

Replies