Home Angler On Foot

Help for a new guy?

mickflipmickflip Posts: 17 Greenhorn
Hey everybody I'm new to the forum and new to Florida but been fishing all my life. Don't have a boat, so I figured this is the place for me. For my first post I've got a question. Alot of posts I've read have been wading reports and it looks awesome. I was wondering if you guys could help out with some general tip and techniques. I'm used to fishing freshwater up north and looking for structure but I'm guessing it's a different game out on the flats. I'll be mostly in the IRL if that makes a difference, Sebastian to be specific. So any and all tips are appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!

Replies

• Beached anglerBeached angler Posts: 196 Officer
    Wading is just like bass fishing minus the visual cover. When bass fishing if you see a branch, well there's a good chance there's a bass close by. When wading grass flats, your walking through thick grass, and every so often you'll wander apon a hole, sand or where the grass level is different due to different ground level. They both hold fish, but I have better luck fishing the sand holes, the ones where I fish, they are a little deeper. Look on google maps and you'll be able to find some grass flats. When it comes to bait, live bait works in most situations, but its kind of sketchy fishing alone with a bait bucket. Don't get me wrong i still use live bait, but I am easing to artificials. You'll are able to cover more ground I don't know any thing about your area but ask your local tackle shop. Good luck:fishing
  • TimbaTimba Posts: 225 Deckhand
    I think beached angler is right on especially this time of the yr when all the inshore species congregate on the deep holes. Se Bastian has a hell of a snook fishery on the inlet try a bucktail and in one word GULP

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinquish one man from another.":thumbsup:USA
  • mickflipmickflip Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Wading is just like bass fishing minus the visual cover. When bass fishing if you see a branch, well there's a good chance there's a bass close by. When wading grass flats, your walking through thick grass, and every so often you'll wander apon a hole, sand or where the grass level is different due to different ground level. They both hold fish, but I have better luck fishing the sand holes, the ones where I fish, they are a little deeper. Look on google maps and you'll be able to find some grass flats. When it comes to bait, live bait works in most situations, but its kind of sketchy fishing alone with a bait bucket. Don't get me wrong i still use live bait, but I am easing to artificials. You'll are able to cover more ground I don't know any thing about your area but ask your local tackle shop. Good luck:fishing

Here I thought I'd just be runnin around chasing bait and birds but finding holes is something I can do. I've read though that the grass has been dying off and becoming just sand flats so I'm assuming that translates to fewer fish? As far as the bait I've always been a lure kinda guy but coming from freshwater I'm curious about catching some sharks. Small ones at least haha. Thanks for the tips though guys definitely gives me a starting point
  • Beached anglerBeached angler Posts: 196 Officer
    mickflip wrote: »
    Here I thought I'd just be runnin around chasing bait and birds but finding holes is something I can do. I've read though that the grass has been dying off and becoming just sand flats so I'm assuming that translates to fewer fish? As far as the bait I've always been a lure kinda guy but coming from freshwater I'm curious about catching some sharks. Small ones at least haha. Thanks for the tips though guys definitely gives me a starting point

Sometimes fishing the holes can be like fishing in a barrel. On low tides, like where most of the flats is two foot, the holes on the flat I fish is five feet. It's all about the tides when wading. High tides great but low tide if you know what your doing is great. Since your a lure guy, most bass lures will work in saltwater, with little changes like hooks. Heddon super spooks are top producers early in the morning. While a strike king caffine shad are great while casting to the deep holes. Now about the grass, there's either two that could of happened. Either the current on the flat is faster, and its just eroding it away. Or there is bacteria that's killing it. Sharks will go after lures but its very slim because you must get the lure past the other fish. For sharks I'd suggest floating out a hunk of cut up pin fish. On a wire leader.be very carful while dehooking him in the water. Your in there habitat.
  • Grey BeardGrey Beard Posts: 102 Deckhand
    I’ve fished the flats only the last couple of yrs in Jan and Feb around Stuart. Learning to fish the tides can be important but there still seemed to be a decent first light bit regardless. I found a number of presentations worked so tried a bunch. Top water lures and your bass jerk baits produce well especially early AM with little or no wind. Mirrodine or Unfair Rip and slash lipless cranks that run about 1 foot under the surface seem to catch anything and really great for speckled trout. You can see how to work those lures on Treasure Coast Tackle site videos. Fresh shrimp or DOA shrimp or other artificials fished under a Cajun clacking cork. How to do that can be seen doing a search on You Tube.

I had a great deal of luck with some of my walleye hair jigs in 1/8oz in a variety of colors. The boxer style jig head by Tsunami in 1/8 oz paired with an unlikely looking plastic, Mirro Lil John was a killer of all kinds of fish. Seem like an aggressive twitch pause retrieve not only ripped it thru the weeds but also turned on the fish. When cold front around a less aggressive retrieve with a Texas rigged 3” scented Paddletail style plastic was good. The saltwater guys use a loop knot for their jigs in conjunction with around 3’ 20# fluoro leader double uni knot to 10# braid, 7’ med spinning and 4000 size reel and worked well for me. Lots of teethy critters so 20# fluoro will save some fish/lures.

I visited the Sebastian Inlet but did not fish. I didn’t care for the army of elbow to elbow fishing. They were quite respectful of each other that day and did catch some dandy fish but I prefer the solitude of the back waters.

I’m switching to Ft Myers area this winter for Feb/Mar and hope I can find wading opportunities similar to the Stuart flats. Can’t wait as looking a 6 degrees F this AM in WI.

Good luck,

Grey Beard
  • dannosdoormatsdannosdoormats Posts: 181 Deckhand
    A very good summation of all you need to know!
  • mickflipmickflip Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Tons of great info guys now I can't wait to use it all. Just need to get out there so I can start making my own reports