Home Egret Boats

Lowrance HDS Point 1 Antenna

tspotornotspotorno Posts: 10 Deckhand
Hi,

I have an Egret 189 with a HDS 12 touch and was wondering if anyone with a similar model/equip has installed the Point 1 gps antenna on the boat?

If you have did you install it on the platform above the engine? Console?

The instruction state it cannot be located close to the engine, but on the 189 there does not appear to be a good spot to mount the antenna puck...

Thanks,

Tony

Replies

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    tspotorno wrote: »
    Hi,

I have an Egret 189 with a HDS 12 touch and was wondering if anyone with a similar model/equip has installed the Point 1 gps antenna on the boat?

The instruction state it cannot be located close to the engine, but on the 189 there does not appear to be a good spot to mount the antenna puck...

Thanks,

Tony

Once upon a time we would install the on top of the platform. Run the wire thru the back leg on the platform, drill a small hole for the connector to slide thru the top and screw it in place.... Pete
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    I have that unit. The internal antennae works great on mine. No issues and even reads the gps in the house. Why do you want to put the ext. antennae on? I would estimate whatever performance enhancement is advertised would not be very noticeable and not needed.
    As for location, my old gps antennae from a previous unit was located on the platform as noted above and it worked great there. Now I have the weather antennae up there along with a folding radio antennae. I have no need for an additional antennae sticking up if the built in one works great. But if you want one, I am sure you can find a place on the console. If you want to put it on the platform, get the lower profile dome model instead of the mushroom. I am sure it would work fine there but you could test it in that location before wiring it thru.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    tspotorno wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks,

Tony

Yes i did. I didn't want to install it on the console or on the deck! Didn't need another eye sore. Plus i wanted to see if it worked better first than the internal on my HDS Touch 12 also. So i put in inside the console and this made it a simple install as a test run to see if it would work and not loose signal and be accurate without drilling holes etc.. Well first try out and i calibrated the antenna since it has a integrated electronic compass inside which gives a accurate course over ground even at low speeds and at 70 mph so far per my testing. The best function is the built in compass heading for example. When i'm off shore marking bait in 25 to 35 feet of water and you need to go back your spot or drive in circles to narrow down the mark. Your arrow or vessel mark doesn't make the screen spin all around. The direction your heading is what stays steady on the screen especially when your zoomed in very accurate! The internal antenna has a 5 HZ refresh rate and the point one has a 10 Hz which makes it smoother and more accurate especially when your making tracks and marking points in shallow water for navigation or future chart making with out much room for error! I'm glad i have it and installed it! The price of admission was worth it! :grin

Here is a review for you to read:
    http://www.wired2fish.com/lowrance-point-1-antenna/

20131117_164306_zpsff78d6e0.jpg
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Looks great Phil. You should send me one for Christmas.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Looks great Phil. You should send me one for Christmas.

Coal....Is what your getting for Christmas. Merry Christmas to you and the wife.... Pete
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    Phil, it suprised me to see the antenna inside your console. Doesn't it have to have a view of the satelites to work? Prior to my Lowrance HDS with an internal antenna my old Lowrance had an antenna on the poling platform. If I was sitting up there and blocked the antenna the GPS woould lose it's position. Has something changed with the antenna's?
    Coal....Is what your getting for Christmas. Merry Christmas to you and the wife.... Pete

You got that right Pete! lol
    :drink
    91tiger wrote: »
    Phil, it suprised me to see the antenna inside your console. Doesn't it have to have a view of the satelites to work? Prior to my Lowrance HDS with an internal antenna my old Lowrance had an antenna on the poling platform. If I was sitting up there and blocked the antenna the GPS woould lose it's position. Has something changed with the antenna's?

It works fine in the console the satellites are being beamed threw the console like a laser light show! lol
    All i can say it works fine has not dropped signal once so far flawless!
    It is set to use the point one antenna only so if i loose signal i would know instantly on my screen!
    Ask Renagade69 he witnessed it first hand yesterday!
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    That's very interesting that it doesn't require line of sight. I wonder if the antenna for the XM-weather could be mounted the same way? I plan to add the xm-weather at some point but would love to avoid mounting the antenna on the platform.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    91tiger wrote: »
    That's very interesting that it doesn't require line of sight. I wonder if the antenna for the XM-weather could be mounted the same way? I plan to add the xm-weather at some point but would love to avoid mounting the antenna on the platform.
    Frank tried the inside the console trick with my boat and he said the satelitte weather antenna would not get a signal inside the console so it's mounted to the grab rail.

My regular screen HDS10 is already crapping out on the buttons at one year old and very little uses of that particular button. I guess back to the factory for it..
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    I tried the xm in the console and its a no go.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas