Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Kevin's Guns & Outdoor Tallahassee

Went in to Kevins on Capital Circle NE yesterday too look at spinning reels. Went in expecting to get a Stradic 6000 or 8000. They didn't have any Shimanos in that size except Stellas and Thunnus. So I looked in the Penn display and found the Penn Conquer 7000 to be a good size for my needs, definitely smooth enough and I like the easy access port to the gears. I also got a St. Croix Mojo Inshore 7' MH rod. I'll have to see if the rod really has enough backbone for when I use 30lb braid. They gave me a break on the reel and filled her up with 15 lb Ande for me (234 yds FYI). It was my first time there and the service was great. Could definitely use some heavier rods. Almost everything was inshore, very little above the 10-20 lb. line class.

Replies

• limitlesslimitless Posts: 683 Officer
    Go back and ask to see the Shimano Jigging rods. I have a couple of them rated at 50#-100# set up with 8000 Stradics, and use them for everything from Grouper to Snook to Tarpon. They are remarkably light and cast well, and rigged with 55# Power Pro you feel every little tap! Retail about $109.

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

• landlubberlandlubber Posts: 315 Deckhand
    I'll be using this reel for three things. Casting lures for big reds, tarpon, snook (east coast) with 15-20 lb. mono. Second is a live/dead bait rod with 30lb. braid for whatever. The last use, and least common scenario, is take her onto party boats for the usual potluck of pelagics. I'm in the tough spot of needing a lightweight rod for casting and something beefy for bigger fish situations. I'll check out those Shimano's
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Captain
    I always stop in at Kevin's on my way to Louisiana. Good store with good selection. I believe there is a ****'s just around the corner.