Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Grouper bite offshore was good- weatherman is evil

Yes, "winds 5- 10 mph, seas less than 2 feet". The weatherman is an evil perverse liar, I wonder if they were watching me today bobbing around like a cork in 3-4 footers in my little 18 footer. Anyway, I haven't gotten out in a long time, so snotty weather or no, I chugged through the mess (at a greatly reduced speed) and got to my favorite grouper grounds. The bite was hot, I got three keepers in short order two 24", one 22", threw back dozens of shorts. I only fished 2 hours or so cause I was tired of trying to keep standing. Running back was much better with a following sea. I was out of Caxambas pass about 18 miles over 'decorated' bottom. I fished exclusively with a 5oz home made jig tipped with a 6" chartreuse grub. All I did was lift and drop bouncing off the bottom while drift fishing. It is a real rush when the big one strikes and for that one moment you wonder "am I gonna be able to get this one off the bottom?" I live for that moment. Sorry only have one pic as I was alone and had a passerby take the one photo at the dock.
Doc

Replies