Putting boat and trailer on ramps for maintance?

fishonfishon Posts: 963 Officer
I wish to complete some trailer maintenance. I wish to pull the trailer onto some auto ramps to raise the trailer easier access to work under it. I wish to remove some rust from the trailer and spray with a galvanized sink spray. As the truck will not be at the same level of the boat, am I going to cause any problems putting it up on ramps?
Thanks
Triton 1870 Bay Sport, 115 merc. 4/stroke,
Fish Shallow saltwater, lakes central Fl. And Lake Oconee Ga.
Live in Lakeland

Replies

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,282 Officer
    Good question. If the rear of the trailer doesn't bottom out you might get away with that plan. If you had access to two sets of ramps you could raise the rear wheels of your truck at the same time as the trailer.

I usually jack up my boat and trailers if I need more room to work underneath them. I only jack up one side at a time by using a floor jack, and have several pieces of 6 x 6 inch lumber to serve as safety devices. I prefer the lumber to jack stands for working on trailers with heavy boats on top of them.

If i need to replace a roller I use a floor jack and a large piece of wood under the hull to spread out the load. I see people replacing rollers at the ramp after launching their boat, but I prefer to back the boat and trailer up to my garage where all my power tools are accessible, since i often have to resort to using Dremel metal cut off wheels to remove the roller shaft caps, and if the roller bracket has to be adjusted I often have to cut off the original bolts and replace with S/S. I have helped other boat owners at the ramp, but we had to run a generator for some of the power tools.
    Giimoozaabi
  • cookin outcookin out Posts: 237 Deckhand
    should be no problem.....many ramps drop off quickly letting your trailer be way below level with your truck.....this would just be the opposite
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,338 Officer
    If you're worried about being level use a hitch that's higher than the one you normally use.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,074 Officer
    Wouldn't it be eaiser to just take the boat off the trailer?
  • ChasinPoonChasinPoon Posts: 85 Deckhand
    Wouldn't it be eaiser to just take the boat off the trailer?

YES!
    Fly 'Em High Charters
    Capt. Bobby Woodard
    www.Captain-Bobby.com
  • fishonfishon Posts: 963 Officer
    To late, done did it on my belly and back, turned out Nice!
    If I had unlimited time to take the boat to a ramp, put the boat in, wait for trailer to completely dry, paint wait for paint to dry and cure, put boat back on trailer, drive home, done!
    Or 30 minutes were it is parked.
    Thanks for the input.
    Triton 1870 Bay Sport, 115 merc. 4/stroke,
    Fish Shallow saltwater, lakes central Fl. And Lake Oconee Ga.
    Live in Lakeland