Buy Nothing Day

rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,690 AG
Today is Buy Nothing Day in my camp. Though I celebrate alone, I urge you to look into it. Almost like Festivus

Some music to further help you get in the mood and relax. The antithesis of the maniacs out there today

https://www.adbusters.org/campaigns/bnd
Until we challenge the entrenched values of capitalism – that the economy must always keep growing, that consumer wants must always be satisfied, that immediate gratification is imperative – we’re not going able to fix the gigantic psycho-financial-eco crisis of our times.The journey toward a sane sustainable future begins with a single step. It could all start with a personal challenge, such as this: make a vow to yourself to participate in Buy Nothing Day this year. This November 29th, go cold turkey on consumption for 24 hours … see what happens … you just might have an unexpected, emancipatory epiphany!
Buy Nothing Day is legendary for instigating this type of personal transformation … as you suddenly remember what real living is all about … you sense an upsurge of radical empowerment and feel a strange magic creeping back into your life.
Join millions of us in over 60 countries on November 29/30 and see what it feels like. Then, after Buy Nothing Day, take the next step … for generations, Christmas has been hijacked by commercial forces … this year, let’s take it back.
And why not get playful while you’re at it!? … Put up posters, organize a credit card cut up, pull off a Whirl–mart, or a Christmas Zombie walk through your local mall.

Replies

• jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,610 Admiral
    Saved about $160 today on stuff I needed to get anyway. Saved around $400 on stuff we needed today and yesterday. **** near picked up a guitar that was $250 off today too but didn't need that as much as wanted it.
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,414 AG
    Perfect. You spent money to save money. Perfect.
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,339 Admiral
    I ran up to Orlando this morning, as my favorite aquarium store, World Wide Corals, was having a big sale on their corals. I left having spent around a car payment, but saving quite a bit.
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • hatcityhatcity Posts: 3,050 Captain
    Bought a coffee and Danish this morning.
    then 40 gals. of diesel

None of it on sale
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • divn4$divn4$ Posts: 1,528 Captain
    Perfect. You spent money to save money. Perfect.

Oh,i don't know, i went to Bass Pro and got some of the 50 cal ammo cans for 10.00$ a piece brand new it was busy but no more than a weekend.The big sale for a brick of .22 was gone when i got there,but they had the boxes of winchester 333 for 16.00 1 per person i got one just cause i was there also got a new harness for the stand it was 1/2 off.So yes, i spent money to save money
    and i feel friggen great..............
    1376843400_20_1_USD_6.25_default.png

Go Navy.....
  • kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,078 Admiral
    I only went fishing and bought nothing. I like BND!!!
  • tagtag Posts: 8,815 Admiral
    I bought nothing today and don't plan on spending any money in the coming week.
  • MadpoodleMadpoodle SoFlo Baby!Posts: 761 Officer
    Went to the gun range, used ammo I had already bought. Dang near made it out the door without spending anything, until Papa Ruger grabbed holt a me...
    Water rat

• Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,162 Admiral
    Nothing here. Not even a turkey this year.
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,368 Captain
    Tackle bag, hooks, some baits and pliers here. Gander MTN. had some good deals. Got a $130 bag for 40 bux. They didn't have one that was advertised so the gave me the next model up for the ad sale price.
  • ScminnowScminnow Posts: 3,828 Captain
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,690 AG
    I ended up picking up a used surfboard...

damnit
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 Officer
    I bought a box of Qtips at a yard sale.
    When I was younger, I could remember anything...

whether it had happened or not.

Mark Twain