Treasure Coast Advice

redheadredhead Posts: 120 Officer
Hello everyone, I need some help. I have recently started fishing inshore from Vero to Ft. Pierce in my kayak but I am wandering around blindly. I have been to Round Island a couple times and around the Ft Pierce causeways but those are big areas. I also want to get down to the Sailfish Flats area. I was hoping someone would be willing to share some kayak launches and areas to start exploring. I don't get down there too often so you don't have to worry about me in your spots. If anyone wants a tag-a-long I would be happy to get some first hand instruction. Thanks.

Replies

• Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    Go to Chastain Beach on the island and park on the west side of the road, you'll find a trail on the south side of the lot that leads about 100 yards through the woods that will bring you out to a sand beach that faces Saifish Flats. You'll find Snook all around and Trout on the grassy areas. DOA shrimp and Shad Tails rigged with a jig head or weedless work great, also have a DOA Deadly Combo as a fallback in case nothing else is working.

http://www.martin.fl.us/portal/page?_pageid=354,3437495&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&park_id=721
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Thats the right rig and bait. You could also try up around the Wabasso bridge boat ramp for parking and work your way around there.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • guido4198guido4198 Posts: 2,245 Captain
    There's too much good fishin' between here and there to drive this far so I'm posting this for anyone closer who'd like to know also, but...IF you wish to drive just a little farther...head N. on the Jungle Trail in Orchid. There's a couple of launch points with parking. It's a dirt road that runs from Hwy 510 up to the Pelican Island NWR. The fishing is good for pretty much the entire suite of local inshore species. In close proximity....there's a good variety of channels, shorelines and grassflats. There's also a lot of places to get out of the wind and fish, regardless of which direction it's blowing from. If you see "Clifford the Big Red Truck" ( my F-150) parked along there, look for the handsome rascal paddling around on a Tarpon 120 and say hello.
  • redheadredhead Posts: 120 Officer
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Guido, I have been to the Pelican area several times with mixed results. Guess I haven't figured that place out yet. If you ever want a fishing partner give me a shout.
  • RStyleRStyle Posts: 1,397 Officer
    Guido...........I went up Jungle Trail looking for a place to park but did not find anything until I got to the viewing area in the refuge. Someone had mentioned a spot where the trail is next to the water but when I went by there were two characters there with no boat or car that made me worry and I kept going. Was by myself and didd not feel good about leaving my SUV there with the guys knowing I had taken off on the yak and was nowhere near.
    Seems like a long way from the Wabasso Bridge but may do that next time
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Heck park at that old hotel in Vero surfside or dukes or something and paddle right off the beach. I have seen many sailfish jumping around from that parking lot.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • guido4198guido4198 Posts: 2,245 Captain
    Sorry your drive up the Trail didn't work out for you. I park there just about every week-end, and ( so far at least..) have never had any kind of problem. You might try "googling" "preacher's hole" on google earth. I've been having a lot of luck in that area lately. Yesterday a.m. : 4 Trout, 2 Reds, 2 Snook in about 3.5 hours fishing Artificials. You can also access the area by parking and launching under the BIG Wabasso Causeway bridge, and paddling N. There's SO MANY excellent launch and fishing sites around here....you can't go wrong. The Wabasso ramps offer a huge grass flats area to the N. btw. There's a couple of islands within easy paddling. I've not fished those, but they look inviting.
    Good Luck. Do some scouting around and soon you'll have so many spots, you'll have a hard time choosing where to start.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,174 Officer
    redhead wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I need some help. I have recently started fishing inshore from Vero to Ft. Pierce in my kayak but I am wandering around blindly. I have been to Round Island a couple times and around the Ft Pierce causeways but those are big areas. I also want to get down to the Sailfish Flats area. I was hoping someone would be willing to share some kayak launches and areas to start exploring. I don't get down there too often so you don't have to worry about me in your spots. If anyone wants a tag-a-long I would be happy to get some first hand instruction. Thanks.
    Ill be returning to the Fort Pierce area on the 26th and we can go out and try to figure things out together. In the two winters Ive spent down there Im still confused on what species hangs out in what habitat and what baits work best. I have a fleet of Hobie Mirage drives at my house. In NJ in the summer I fish shadow lines under bridges at night exclusivly. Havent tried that yet around Fort Pierce.There are so many power boaters who drive way to fast at night around there.