Category #1 Invasive Exotic

FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 Officer
Introduced from Japan/India as an ornamental shrub, Coral berry has become a nuisance plant ranked as Category #1 Invasive Exotic. Ardisia crenata has shiny green leaves & bright red berries in Winter making it popular for Xmas. A single source like Walmart must have sold millions of knee high potted Coral berry, seeding vast acreages. Various animals eat the berries rapidly spreading the exotic. In North FL it grows rambunctiously w/o any help - Like a Weed. So much so that it can displace native plants & take over. Have seen suburban wood lots where ground cover is nearly half Coral berry. Own property that neighbors planted Coral berry next to 20-30 years ago. The invasive plant has been spreading in all directions. The original dozen or two potted shrubs have given rise to thousands & thousands of free Coral berries. Their invasion has reached out ~1000' - about half way across my land. Last Spring the State had a crew out, 4-6 Park vehicles daily, teams spraying & pulling Coral berry, for a couple of weeks.

Each Winter I pull out thousands of Coral berry & carefully to haul mature plants w/seed to be destroyed. Each year there are more & some are further out than ever before. It's impossible to get them all, the reseeding is accelerating, it is a losing battle. The North & West portions of lot are still free.

Neighbors either don't give a ****, still think they're pretty, or aren't motivated to do anything. The result is rapidly thickening & spreading beds of Coral berry next door.

New 'National Geographic' came. Has interesting article on Tumble weed. Having grown up w/Hollywood Westerns, never had a reason to think the iconic Tumbling Tumble Weed wasn't a native plant. Nope, another Invasive Exotic. From Russia, believed to be unknowingly introduced ~1874, via contaminated flax seed, near Scotland, SD.

Had friends out West who didn't like Tumble weed, but didn't realize how big a nuisance they'd become, or how far they'd spread. Haven't been out West since early 90's. Thought they were always there, where they were supposed to be, like the Cactus & Sage brush. Didn't know that when the Tumble weed is ready to tumble it's loaded w/seed & by snapping off to tumble in the wind the plant distributes its seed widely. Pic of highway workers removing Tumble weeds the size of small cars an eye opener.

Replies

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,106 Captain
    Bunch of Cat 1 Invasive Exotics here in Fladah....most obnoxious one is probably **** boobiensis :hairraiser

EDIT: Where I have inserted an "a", just change it to "o"! "Hama"
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 Officer
    I take this as a "troublesome" topic for you.
    When I was younger, I could remember anything...

whether it had happened or not.

Mark Twain
  • Hickory DogHickory Dog Posts: 5,047 Officer
    Invasives and working to manage them can be mighty depressing - not a lot if success stories out there.
    Over a billion living organisms are imported into the US legally every year.
    Keep your eye on the ball.
  • bullheadbullhead Posts: 120 Officer
    I don't have any coral berry problem, but I am having a tough time getting rid of the running bamboo that has invaded my property. I don't want to kill the natural stuff, so the best herbicides are not an option. And the popcorn trees keep popping up all over too. And these vines that smother everything BUT the bamboo and popcorn trees are even worse.
    Bull pick the "clean" areas and protect the hell out of them from invasion - then prioritize your other areas focusing on easily winnable areas first. Then tackle the areas that are already heavily infested as time and resources allow.

In addition you need to do early detection/rapid response on any new invasives showing up.

like I said it is constant management and no respite - especially if your neighbors aren't on board.
  • mrblugilmrblugil Posts: 818 Officer
    I thought this was about pythons
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,339 Admiral
    mrblugil wrote: »

Or about French people in general.
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 Officer
    Have 4 varieties of Bamboo here, but they do not spread quickly. The biggest thicket of "running" Bamboo has approximately doubled in size over 20 years, from ~10' wide to less than 20' & does not expand via seed distribution. It was established long before I bought the property. The other 3 clumps of Bamboo I planted, 1 about 15 years ago when given pieces in plastic garbage bags, the cluster has grown but would still fit a hot tub. The Fish pole bamboo, in the ground 7 years, would still fit in a 5 gal container. The Giant bamboo, planted 18 years ago, got smashed by a fallen Oak & nearly died, but has begun to recover & has a couple of canes approaching 30' tall.
    bullhead wrote: »
    I am having a tough time getting rid of the running bamboo that has invaded my property. I don't want to kill the natural stuff, so the best herbicides are not an option. And the popcorn trees keep popping up all over too. And these vines that smother everything BUT the bamboo and popcorn trees are even worse.

Popcorn trees, aka Chinese tallow, are not here.

However by "these vines that smother everything" I guess you mean Air potato & this Invasive Exotic has arrived here. Watched it march in, come down our road & pop up mysteriously over the 20 years I've lived here.
  • loose_cannonloose_cannon Posts: 592 Officer
    Brazilian Pepper is out of control here.
    Member #813
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,690 AG
    mrblugil wrote: »

I was thinking new Yorkas and Joisey people
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,610 Admiral
    rock_fish wrote: »
    I was thinking new Yorkas and Joisey people

Hey now! Dad is from upstate NY!
  • coldaircoldair Posts: 11,498 Officer
    thank Allah they have not included pictures
    169304.GIF
  • sailfish2sailfish2 Posts: 4,244 Captain
    Brazilian Pepper is out of control here.

Yep, by far the worst one in this area.
    Hoping for better luck next time...... and got it.

WINNING!
    while out looking at land in Alachau county near one of our more famous member's home I came across a huge feild of this seemingly invasive plant as they were all over the place, anyone know what this is?

marijuana.jpg
    169304.GIF
    A plant that shouldn't bother you but for some reason it drives you nuts
    rock_fish wrote: »
    A plant that shouldn't bother you but for some reason it drives you nuts

its the lazy, shiftless, child molesting, rapists, living on welfare users of that weed that bug me
    169304.GIF
    Oh ok. That's ok
    No one can get on quite so high a horse as a former user of a drug after they have quit, isn't that right Coldy?
    never really cared for horses
    169304.GIF
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 Officer
    FIFY
    coldair wrote: »
    never really cared for horse
  • CatBoxCatBox Posts: 3,709 Captain
    Hmmm, you guys are talking about plants and all I can think of is this.... now this is my idea of an invasive exotic.. :banana