Guana WMA off season pig slaughter?

I spent alot of time, and money hunting Guana this season in hopes of taking a pig. It did not take me long to find a Mystery that there were no longer very many hogs hiding in the dense Swamps, and Palmetto's.
I spoke with another hunter who states that while shrimping last summer they had National Gaurd Members running dogs, and lights at night while getting in some AR practice. Later in the after noon while grabbing a beer at the Gate Station on my way out another Local confirmed the same, and told me I was wasting time. Since then I meet a guy that has a nuisence pig trapping liscense, and stated that he traps Guana year around because the fine citizen's of Nocatee have been complianing about the ''Piney Woods Rooters.''
Can you give us blue collar managment hunters any information on this before we waste another quota? Thanks for anything?

Read more: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?137046-Guana-WMA-Hog-Slaughter-on-off-season!#ixzz2lsuLn0BC

Replies

• Steve WSteve W Posts: 613 Officer
    Most likely the reintroduction of wild turkeys at Guana a few years ago is the reason for it.

As you know the pigs will eat turkey eggs, sooooo, guess who loses?

Glad to see Nocatee is having zero impact on Guana.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,196 AG
    all wild pigs should be eradicated by any means possible.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,337 Captain
    Balance Act.

The more popular and routine pig hunt becomes, the more demand for more pigs.

State of Missouri has a policy of not encouraging "Pig hunting culture". The pigs that are there likely placed relatively recently for pig hunt.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • scottydentscottydent Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Would'nt it make since to allow more hunts to folks that support, and buy WMA Stamps than to erradicate by other measures?
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,337 Captain
    Certain Trap Measure might be less intrusive and effective than Public Hunt Measure,considering all the factors.

Interesting that State of Florida management folks rarely post here.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink