Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Mercury Optimax question

Thinking of upgrading the power on my new skiff, currently has a Mercury 60 EFI Bigfoot on it. I have been looking to stay with Mercury since ive gone all digital. Does anyone have any input on the midrange optimax motors? I have a wide range to look at from 75-115, or stay with the FourStroke in the same line of HP of 75-115. Really looking at top end and holeshot (some of which can be obtained through props). Not worried much about weight. Going on a 17ft Flats with a slight V-hull. Rated for up to 115hp
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    My family has been selling Bass Boats powered w/~75 (& up) HP Optis for >10yrs & they're pretty much 'bullet-proof' these days... The Bass guys are all about hole shot & top end & they don't seem to like the 4Ss (or Verados) due to extra weight, cost & maintenance...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Captain
    What are the major issues these optimax motors have? I know ive heard of issues involving the compressors but that was on the high HP models and that is all I know of.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    We're not seeing any problems since the 1st gens many many years ago...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 923 Officer
    I have a 225 and it is quieter than my 115 Saltwater Series was although a 4 stroke is very quiet. After a year, I have developed a thermostat problem and keep getting alarms, was told that if there is a ten degree difference in the two thermostats you will get an alarm although as long as it doesn't overheat, you are okay. Chris at Outboards Only highly recommends the Optimax and they are his speciality, you might want to check his opinion on the smaller ones.
  • mapdashmapdash Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    snook87 wrote: »
    Thinking of upgrading the power on my new skiff, currently has a Mercury 60 EFI Bigfoot on it. I have been looking to stay with Mercury since ive gone all digital. Does anyone have any input on the midrange optimax motors? I have a wide range to look at from 75-115, or stay with the FourStroke in the same line of HP of 75-115. Really looking at top end and holeshot (some of which can be obtained through props). Not worried much about weight. Going on a 17ft Flats with a slight V-hull. Rated for up to 115hp

very strong engines. Very light and lots of punch. I put 150 hours on one in about 18 months without a hiccup. It was a 2008 90. Only thing that sucks is they do go through some oil and merc wants you to run the expensive synthetic stuff through them. They can be very fuel efficent if you find a good cruising speed.
    Boat Owners Warehouse in Ft. Lauderdale on SR 84 sells the oil the cheapest, they almost always have a sale running.
    Optimax oil is on sale this weekend for $23.99 a gallon. They also have a BOW in Riviera Beach.
    Yeah that's where I used to go when I had the merc 50. Went to bass pro and they have the 115 proXS opti for $2000 off and a 6 year warranty from mercury. Might be getting that motor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sneaky snookersneaky snooker Posts: 746 Officer
    The weight difference between the 115 mercury 4stroke and the 115 optimax pro xs is 24 lbs. I am a big fan of 4 strokes. Oil change every 100 hours. Oil change kit for my yammie F150 is around $65.00. Not sure where all the expense is suppose to come from with 4 strokes . I use to spend a lot more annually on oil for my 2 stroke. Not trying to start a flame just giving my .02. Either choice would be a great engine ! Good luck
    2015 Shearwater 23 TE w/ Yamaha SHO 250
    The weight difference between the 115 mercury 4stroke and the 115 optimax pro xs is 24 lbs. I am a big fan of 4 strokes. Oil change every 100 hours. Oil change kit for my yammie F150 is around $65.00. Not sure where all the expense is suppose to come from with 4 strokes . I use to spend a lot more annually on oil for my 2 stroke. Not trying to start a flame just giving my .02. Either choice would be a great engine ! Good luck
    My downside with the fourstroke is that it's slow on takeoff, more so with 2-3 people and a livewell full. Miss that power when giving it full throttle oh and I like to go fast too. It's either a 75 or a 115 I'll pick from. Just all about the best deal I can get between the two. My current merc 60 fourstroke cost me $30 to change the oil, all of which I do myself, fuel filters and water separator is a extra $100. If a problem comes up it has to be plugged into a computer for diagnostics since it's all digital controlled so add $100 for that and if it needs sensors well then there's a few hundred dollars there. It adds up over time with a fourstroke and thankful all I need to do is add gas and go. I can't think of too much more for a 2 stoke besides gas and oil but I'm not using the motor all day so that reduces costs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You don't run fuel filters and fuel water separators on a two stroke ? The pro xs is not computer controlled ? I raced motorcross competitively and four strokes were known for there low end torque, and 2 cycles made there power on the pipe, or higher rpms. No 2 stroke 150s going by my properly propped F150. Jumps right on plane . If you see a whisper grey 18 redfisher with a F150 on the water, try me out. Will be glad to do it from an idle.
    That's a lot of power for that boat. That's why it has good holeshot. If I put a 115 fourstroke it would be great but the weight is just too much. And no E-tec's for me. I just want a perfect balance with the right holeshot and top end I can get. Was considering the Yamaha F70 until I saw the price and for that I could get a F75 or even a F90 and still have money left. I've been on my friends 22' shearwater with a F150 and it does great, a lil slow on takeoff but smooths out on plane and does good top speed. It's too bad yamaha no longer makes the T90 anymore or I'd get that. Just trying to not have to switch controls and the wire harness.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hey Snook87, I didn't mean to start an argument. Actually that is the last thing I wanted to do. I wish you well with your new purchase and I'm sure you will be pleased. It is amazing how far outboard motors have come since the old days. Good luck with your purchase !
    I will add that I think Merc's new (lighter) 4S offerings may become a lot more popular w/the 18'-22' Bass/Bay Boat & Skiff crowd...
    Oh not at all in anyway an argument. I wanted other people's opinions and experiences. If I could throw a 150 on my beast I would but it's just way over the weight and power limit of the boat. Midrange motors are just not equal to those of the higher HP motors 150 and up. Next boat will have bigger motor(s), then we can talk about those 150's much more :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    IMO you'll be happy w/the Opti (but you'd probably be happy w/the new Merc 4S too)
  • BudmccarrollBudmccarroll Posts: 78 Deckhand
    I have a 2001 225. Take care of them, let them warm up and they are great motors. I have 1300 hours on mine with no problems.
  • mapdashmapdash Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    You don't run fuel filters and fuel water separators on a two stroke ? The pro xs is not computer controlled ? I raced motorcross competitively and four strokes were known for there low end torque, and 2 cycles made there power on the pipe, or higher rpms. No 2 stroke 150s going by my properly propped F150. Jumps right on plane . If you see a whisper grey 18 redfisher with a F150 on the water, try me out. Will be glad to do it from an idle.

If you were to line up your boat next to the same hull with a Optimax 150 XS it would beat you out of the hole and on top end. They are very strong motors.

BTW.....I own an F115 and love yamahas.
    Mercs always had a rep for being fast. You may be right. I had a merc on my last boat and it was a great motor !