Trolling motor help please

P.cliffordP.clifford Posts: 226 Officer
I would like to step up to remote controlled bow mount unit for my Hewes skiff. 24 volt 70-80 lbs. When I read the reviews on the Minn Kota or the Motor Guide units I see tons of complaints. It makes me wonder. I don't know that I need the I Pilot. I would just like to control the motor from my platform when I move in on a flat. I still prefer the push pole for hunting down fish. I would like to hear from folks that have these motors as to their reliability and longevity. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Replies

• sneaky snookersneaky snooker Posts: 746 Officer
    I would speak to Mike at Master Repair in stuart. He carries both brands and is a certified repair center for both IMO, he is the authority on trolling motors ! 772-220-7777
    2015 Shearwater 23 TE w/ Yamaha SHO 250
  • P.cliffordP.clifford Posts: 226 Officer
    Thank you Mr Sneaky. That is great advise. I will call him.
  • SpecksOnDeckSpecksOnDeck Posts: 103 Deckhand
    I've had a minn-kota for over a year now and love it. Started with just the co-pilot remote but quickly upgraded to the ipilot. In my opinion the ipilot is worth every penny and is my favorite feature on my boat. I use it in fresh and salt water and it has held up great. I also shattered the shaft of mine (my fault) and minn kota replaced it for free. I have had nothing but good experiences with minn-kota, which is why I now have a Talon on my boat as well.
  • DemonDemon Posts: 222 Deckhand
    I've had a Minn-Kota for about 4 yrs now. I also upgraded to the I-pilot and like it as well. Only 1 issue with discarded fishing line cutting a shaft seal. Repaired for free under warranty. Get the extended warranty and don't worry about it for 5 yrs.
  • P.cliffordP.clifford Posts: 226 Officer
    I would speak to Mike at Master Repair in stuart. He carries both brands and is a certified repair center for both IMO, he is the authority on trolling motors ! 772-220-7777

Spoke to Mike. Thanks for the tip. Great info and knowledgable guy. Very good. I'll go there for the motor . Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • sneaky snookersneaky snooker Posts: 746 Officer
    Awesome, first rate work and honest. He does all my work. Just installed a new clarion stereo for me. Tell him Paul said hi !
    2015 Shearwater 23 TE w/ Yamaha SHO 250
  • territunaterrituna Posts: 57 Greenhorn
    If your up in the central florida area Call Kel's rod & reel svc at 407 834 3008. They are the warranty and service center for both Minn Kota and Motorguide Trolling Motors. Located in casselberry Fl.
  • buddy dbuddy d Posts: 117 Deckhand
    I've had my ipilot on 19 redfisher for about 6 months, I fish about 8 times a month
    No problems
    Could be the best accessory ever invented, but then I was fishing before the trolling motor was around

Don't hesitate, you won't be sorry
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,938 Moderator
    I use a start stop button on the deck and a hand controlled Motor Guide (older) and of course it works fine. 80lb/24v on a actioncraft 16'.
    If I poled a lot I could add a start/stop button on the platform I guess.

But the anchor lock is a cool feature on the ipilots . Especially if in too deep of water to use a power pole.

Always a compromise.
    "You'll get your weather"