Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

Replies

• DropTine797DropTine797 Posts: 681 Officer
    Is this proposed max water level under the high water mark? If so this would be great to see this happen.
    Seven down, Eight to go.
  • 40 Million Culverts under the Trail, 50 Pairs of Seaside Sparrows in the freakin Zoo, NPS kicked out of the Park and FWC steppin in, And it's solved...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    I believe so on the level.All along the proposed levels were constantly higher then todays hi water mark.
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 2,249 Captain
    Thank the FWC for trying....and Commissioner Ron Bergeron for leading the battle on a number of fronts. There are delicate negotiations going on between the SFWMD/FWC and the Feds...including the DOI elements (Park and USFWS)...and the USACE. Water simply cannot move south under the Trail due to the Federal Court order limiting the P to 10ppb (and during certain times of the year the S-12s are closed to "protect" the Cape Sable Sea Side Sparrow)....even when the WCAs are drowning and the animals are dying.....Bergeron was able to get some emergency relief several years ago that lowered WCA 3 a foot. He is trying again....with no success to date. This FWC position statement is a part of the effort and also seeks a longer term way to react during emergency rain events instead of having to go through the battle every time.

Some way needs to be worked out that will allow water above the 10 ppb P to go south during extreme rain events...but the resistance is very strong and the law is on the side of those blocking the flow....The SFWMD obviously does not want to end up charged for breaking the law in Federal Court with very massive penalties, both threatening the District and individuals. It is a very complex situation and frankly after about 10 years of fighting this battle to "save" the WCAs (which I consider just as much as "Everglades" as the Park area) I see little chance of more than a token change....Hopefully, I am wrong.