Home Tropics

Deep Dropping for Queens and Snowy with Roberto Navarone - Playa Del Carmen (PDC)

globalwavetrackerglobalwavetracker Posts: 240 Deckhand
After a couple of clicks and some kind words from Kilsong, I contacted Roberto to go fish PDC last week. AJ is hot in late Nov to Jan but I am more into the bottom. Had wanted to try Cubera due to the full moon but he was not available, deep drop was a better option as that is perhaps not exploited and the area is deep quick.

Cancun is constantly blowing and finding light wind in the winter requires patience. We got lucky and it was perfect under 10kts and even better was we had 1.5kts current instead of normal 3.

A short distance out we set up our first drift, no bites, next the same but a nice sponge. At the third spot I had a couple of taps and then nothing. Roberto went down right away and was hit soon after, setting the hook and dropping back again and again. He started manual reeling with his accurate and soon passed it to Tony 2 Speed his mate to do the honors. Up was an impressive catch.

I shook my head as I felt nothing, reeled up and found both hook pulled off their crimps, someone did not test the rigs, not to rely on freebies again.

Tie on 2 regular 8/0 circle sea and switch out my 550 gm jig for 2lbs of diving weights to get a better feel. A small queen came up quickly.

Down again and it was hit soon, set the hook drop back and after another minute, a strong pull and the rod was loaded and the reel started to work harder. Expecting 2 fish up comes this beautiful snowy and a busted 3 way ( small sizes light duty). After unhooking the snowy a strong tug on the top 3 way and it broke off as well, lucky to have the snowy. Switch to some 600lbs droppers, tackle failure sucks.

The bite died out on the next drift perhaps the sharks moved in? Went quite a distance north in search to sections usually not fished due to strong currents and drifts. The current was very light and we could not entice any big girls to party.

Back to the same spot on our way back in and picked up two more queens to call it a day.

Roberto is a great guide, fluent in english and a pleasure to fish with. He had an LP for swords/used it on a queen and is one of a few guides in Mx that have experience on day time swording. Most of his clients enjoy jigging and they are kept busy.

Visiting Isla Mujeras we had great polpo ( octopus) cerviche and saw locals cleaning their catch ( hogs and snappers) at the jetty.

At the Cancun Punta Sam fishing village at weigh-in at 5PM, an impressive 2 totes of mutton snappers and blacks. Another boat had 2- 5 gal buckets filled with large jolt head porgies to 6lbs.

At the Pto Morelos Fish Coop we got some nice tails/ giant slipper lobster for 300 pesos and saw a 500lb tote full of snappers and groupers. A 40lb black was in there too. One boat had 2/3 of a 50 qt cooler full of Red Scorpion fish to 3lbs. They sell for 130 pesos/kg ( great cerviche) vs grouper at 80 pesos.

Snorkling off the Pte Reef is always full of surprises, turtles, spotted rays, giant cuda, permits, blacks, muttons (15lbs) and gorgeous reef all in a protected section. Seen 7-8lbs YTails and here is a giant ( 2' or more) scrawledfile fish

Small Green Black Grouper hidding in a depression among some grass in 10' away from the main reef.

A Nassau/Mutton (2) sitting again in a grassy area and not inside the reef,

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,045 Admiral
    Very nice trip. Thanks for sharing it.
    That's a huge slipper!

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    thanks for posting a fishing report. it was much needed.

• dolfanjoeydolfanjoey Posts: 1,174 Officer
  • lbudlbud Posts: 1,014 Officer
    Nassau Grouper?
    Live while You're breathing! It's Your only chance.....:grin
  • globalwavetrackerglobalwavetracker Posts: 240 Deckhand
    Pte Morelos does have a very beautiful reef that never fails to amaze as you see some amazing fishes hanging out in 10' of water, diving the outer reef does not seem to show more life, possibly due to spear fishing after dark in the park. Nobody dares to fish in the snorkle area of the park thus giving the inside reef total protection. With the right tools, someone could easily build a nice panga charter business in the area that is sustainable. 12 million visitors pass thru each year while most would not venture out. The local cancun night fishing party boat /catch your own dinner is very expensive at close to $90 for 5 hours. Most charters fishes during the day almost never at night.
    The slipper tastes sweater than the spiny lobsters