Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

Marlin 336a 30 30 sights

saltyguy94saltyguy94 Posts: 91 Deckhand
Anyone shooting one? If so, what type of sights are you using? I'm having problems with my factory iron sights. I can't seems to get on paper for some reason. I've shifted them and adjusted them as much I could. Moved them up and down. To me they seem somewhat cheap. Idk if it's me or the sights lol. Anyone else see this problems with the factory iron sights? Thanks

Anthony

Replies

• davidfloridadavidflorida Posts: 1,141 Officer
    Are u starting at 25 yards.
    If you can't hear it your not listening.
  • Lunch Money SurfLunch Money Surf Posts: 1,033 Officer
    I just put a peep sight on mine, from Skinner sights. http://www.skinnersights.com/1895_sight_4.html

A peep sight replaces the regular rear "V" sight with a ring. There are different sized apertures that fit inside the ring depending on your shooting situation.

Lots of fun to shoot through. The idea is that instead of lining up three planes with a traditional sight (target, front sight, rear sight), you're just looking through the ring and lining up two planes (target, front sight). This is the sort of sight that the old time sharpshooters would use, until the scope came along (with a focus on one plane, along with the magnification).

Disclaimer I have had this sight for a couple of months and have only fired it at the range.
  • saltyguy94saltyguy94 Posts: 91 Deckhand
    I just put a peep sight on mine, from Skinner sights. http://www.skinnersights.com/1895_sight_4.html

A peep sight replaces the regular rear "V" sight with a ring. There are different sized apertures that fit inside the ring depending on your shooting situation.

Lots of fun to shoot through. The idea is that instead of lining up three planes with a traditional sight (target, front sight, rear sight), you're just looking through the ring and lining up two planes (target, front sight). This is the sort of sight that the old time sharpshooters would use, until the scope came along (with a focus on one plane, along with the magnification).

Disclaimer I have had this sight for a couple of months and have only fired it at the range.

I was thinking about this because i really don't wanna put a scope on it but i want to be accurate with iron sights. I know you only shot it at the range but how do you like it? I wouldn't mind putting one of these on it.
    saltyguy94 wrote: »
    I was thinking about this because i really don't wanna put a scope on it but i want to be accurate with iron sights. I know you only shot it at the range but how do you like it? I wouldn't mind putting one of these on it.

I think it's awesome. It is a lot of fun to shoot and very accurate.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,358 Captain
    Another vote for Peep Sight.
    I had a compact scope on my Winchester Trapper.The factory open sights were really awful- I have air guns with better!I finally went with a NEF peep.
    The Marlin and Winchesters really are at their best handling wise without scope,and the peep is excellent.With all of the advancements in scopes,dots etc. the peep was left behind. Now becoming more popular.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
    I think im going to order one and try it out. Did you guys have to change your front sight?
  • red owlred owl Posts: 712 Officer
    You can bore sight that 336. Take the screw off the lever and remove the lever (5 seconds) pull the bolt to the rear and depress the trigger and keep pulling and the bolt comes right out. Cut some V notches in a cardboard box and rest the rifle in the notches. Put a target with a black dot (1" or 2") on white and set out 100 yards and move the box (with gun) until the dot is in the CENTER of the bore and then adjust the sights- maybe set them 4" high. You should then be able to put the shots on paper and adjust.
    I've never had trouble but I own an old Marlin- maybe the new sights aren't as good.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,358 Captain
    XS Ghost comes with white outline front post to replace front sight.

The white outline front sight is an important feature.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
    saltyguy94 wrote: »
    I think im going to order one and try it out. Did you guys have to change your front sight?

I changed mine out. The Skinner product came with front and rear sights. The new site fit in the same dovetail slot that old sight came out of.
  • KortsmanKortsman Posts: 270 Deckhand
    What year was your gun made? If it was made shortly after Remington took over, then it could be the actual sights on crooked. I've seen pictures on the Marlin forum showing the crookedness. Couldn't believe it.
  • JizzoJizzo Posts: 1,364 Officer
    I put a red dot on mine because I'm new to shooting. Its pretty easy to get on target quickly and It works good for shorter shots. I could get a 4" group at 100 yds. I hate the way it looks on my rifle though. I've got a 1957 336 Texan chambered in .35 rem. I want a Skinner peep site next. It will fit the look of the gun better and probably work better for long(er) shots.
    -Jon
  • Duckbill68Duckbill68 Posts: 267 Deckhand
    There are many good options in peep sights for the 336. XS Ghost, Skinner, Williams FP w/ Firesight. My eyes haven't gotten too old to hunt with a peep, but I love 'em. If you do end up with a scope, just go with a low profile compact.
  • red owlred owl Posts: 712 Officer
    Saltyguy: one thing I might consider is avoiding a regular range and white paper targets with black bullseyes. Get a cardboard box and cut out a deer outline and set that out 50 yards in some underbrush and at twilight check out the sights you are considering. Thin front blades can disappear, peep sights may become impossible (if a really small hole), etc. I don't like the buckhorn style because the sides cover a target too much. The fiber optic sights may work if you plan on only 50 yard shots.
    Kortsman wrote: »
    What year was your gun made? If it was made shortly after Remington took over, then it could be the actual sights on crooked. I've seen pictures on the Marlin forum showing the crookedness. Couldn't believe it.
    I bought the gun no more than 5 years or so ago maybe 7.
    red owl wrote: »
    Saltyguy: one thing I might consider is avoiding a regular range and white paper targets with black bullseyes. Get a cardboard box and cut out a deer outline and set that out 50 yards in some underbrush and at twilight check out the sights you are considering. Thin front blades can disappear, peep sights may become impossible (if a really small hole), etc. I don't like the buckhorn style because the sides cover a target too much. The fiber optic sights may work if you plan on only 50 yard shots.

So your saying keep the factory sights?
    Sorry for such a late reply, been busy with school, finals and work. I did some tweaking on the rear sight and got the gun on paper. The gun shot amazing groups. All in the same hole but off to the right a little bit. I might just do some more tweaking on it and move it to the right a little bit more. That should hopefully put me dead center on the bullseye.
  • etohprnetohprn Posts: 146 Officer
    Fire Sights. Only way to go.
    Life is short. Kill stuff, and eat it.