8/27 vaca cut tarpon & snappers

Went down just for the day to work on my big boat & hauled the skiff down with me to fish Vaca cut at the end of the work day. Tide was just starting to ebb & turn slack. Lots of snook, tarpon, & macks working on a midnight pilchard meal & had Vaca cut to myself. Threw the net & caught plenty of pilchards for bait. Free-lining my 2nd bait back (on a light spinning rod) towards the up-current shadow line had me hooked up with a small (#30) tarpon. Caught that fish, but ended up leaving soon afterwards as the current started really ripping hard & my trolling motor couldn't hold me in position. Final tally for the night was a bunch of pilchards & 1 tarpon.

Next morning I decided to use my leftover bait to catch some snapper by the Vaca bridge pilings. Was out there ~9am after breakfast at the tide change & caught one small (under) black grouper, & lost a larger fish & moved into the canal to fish under some larger boats tied there & over by the marathon lady fish cleaning station. Caught my limit of mangroves & lost a really nice one to the resident cuda (~4' long). Had lunch on the boat w/ a couple of icy modelo's & was off the water by noon. Not bad for what it was.

Replies