1st Homosassa trip ---> Help appreciated

I have been to the CR area for scalloping with my two girls, 8 and 9 with OK results. Going to Homosassa for the 1st time next weekend, last trip of the year for us before scallop season closes. I will be staying on the river. I've heard many stories about lost lower units and don't want to be another statistic. Any pointers on navigating the area, scalloping grounds and possibly putting my girls on trout, red or mangos? Appreciate any help.

Replies

• SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,434 Officer
    Have someone stand next to you to watch for channel markers. You cannot afford to miss one. Go past #6 before you turn. Fish in 7-9 ft. with live shrimp under a float for trout. Buy your shrimp from the bait lady out in the gulf. Fish in the morning while the tide is high. Low September 3 will be about 2 on the flats. Hit the water about 12 if you want 4 hrs. of scalloping. Look for the group of boats and try to get near the center of them. Be careful, take care of those youngsters.
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    Follow the markers and don't miss and you will be fine.
    Low tide where the scallops are will be at around 130 they are out deeper right now so work around low tide.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber