Lower Unit work stand on a budget

captnick50captnick50 Posts: 121 Officer
I have around 15 lower units that need to be rebuilt, checked, serviced ect. My black and decker work mate was starting to get tired so I have been looking for a nice work stand for lower units. Kerrs makes a real nice stand that most of the shops around use but **** they want wayyyyyy to much money for that sucker. So I started thinking...... I looked at the kerrs stand and decided it wouldent be real hard to make my own. I started with a harbor freight 1000lb engine stand because it already had the rotating mech that I needed and in my shop, mobile is key so being on wheels already was good. it cost 59.99 but with a 25% off coupon is was only 45 bucks. I had some 1in square tubing laying around from something else I had recently made. a little bending and a little welding later here she is. after I tested it in the pics I added a support but you get the idea. I figured there might be some people out there that are in the same boat I was in and needed a cheap way to work on our lower units. all in all it probably would cost less then $70

image_zps8b8cc13f.jpeg

image2_zps998c1548.jpeg

image5_zps1a782bfd.jpeg

image3_zps517b64be.jpeg

Replies

• FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,282 Officer
    dang good idea...I made one from 2x4's that just sits on the ground, no where near as nice as that one
    "FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T
  • Liquid TheropyLiquid Theropy Posts: 608 Officer
    Very nice!! Way better that the old black and decker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]AKA Flatheadcat
  • Pat LPat L Posts: 440 Officer
    I had made something like that years ago, the only problem I had was if you had to turn, tighten or pull something like a bearing carrier too hard it would want to roll around. I have also made an outboard engine stand out of the larger version of that stand.
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,348 Moderator
    If your just doing the impellar, I've found two 2x4's nailed to the workbench works pretty good. Yours looks good if you need to change a seal or get into the gears and prop shaft.

necessity is the mother of invention, Top marks for creativity.

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew