Skip to main content
Home Sportsman's Kitchen

The Flap off of Ribs

MegalopsMegalops Junior MemberPosts: 7 Greenhorn
Wondering what you guys do with the big flap off the top off the ribs. I cut The flaps off the ribs I cooked this weekend and and now not sure what to do with them they are all pretty nice sizes of meat.

Thanks
Darin

Replies

• dougmaysdougmays Senior Member Sunrise, FLPosts: 288 Officer
    are you talking about the thick part on baby backs? i eat it on the rib! haha. you could cut it up and put it in some chilli:)
  • FlashFlash Senior Member Chiefland/Cedar KeyPosts: 12,488 AG
    Yep. We just eat it also. Now there are times if we have baked beans, we carve it up and dice it real well and add to the beans. mmmmmmmmm good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • MegalopsMegalops Junior Member Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Yes it was off Baby Backs. I should of just left it on or when I cut it off thrown it in the smoker with the ribs.
    I like the bake bean idea I might just save it for that or just season and smoke it next time I smoke something.
  • Capt'n. ChumbucketCapt'n. Chumbucket Senior Member south central FloridaPosts: 1,366 Officer
    I LOVE FLAP MEAT !
    Specializing in poor life choices since 1954.
  • WildLinesWildLines Senior Member Posts: 551 Officer
    When you cut it off, doesn't that classify them a St Louis Style Spare Ribs?

I am 50/50 on cutting it off...if I am taking a few slaps to someones house I will cut it off..ribs look better...but I leave it on my personal slabs. If we cut it off we put it in the beans and etc.
  • 13qbbq13qbbq Junior Member Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    I like to do "rib ends" with it just like burnt ends from a brisket. Throw them on the smoker for a couple of hours, pull off, rub them again, throw some sauce in a bowl and cut the pieces into cubes. Put the bowl, with sauce and cut pieces back onto the smoker for an additional two oe three hours. Serve with toothpicks as an appetizer while everything else finishes cooking.
  • FlashFlash Senior Member Chiefland/Cedar KeyPosts: 12,488 AG
    WildLines wrote: »
    When you cut it off, doesn't that classify them a St Louis Style Spare Ribs?

I am 50/50 on cutting it off...if I am taking a few slaps to someones house I will cut it off..ribs look better...but I leave it on my personal slabs. If we cut it off we put it in the beans and etc.

Not if you just cut off the flap, you have to square up the meat also.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • 001001 Senior Member Sebastian, Kissimmee, Saint Cloud, Louisiana, All OverPosts: 4,288 Captain
    My buddy makes BBQ spaghetti with it.

Well.....with a bunch of them.