Bahamas in February??

Capt. Jon PinneyCapt. Jon Pinney Posts: 8 Greenhorn
The Boss wants to spend a couple weeks in the Bahamas this February. Considering staying at Bimini Big Game Club. My only Bahamas fishing was when we passed through on the way to St Thomas last June. We are looking for a NICE marina, with resturaunts on site or within walking distance. From what I understand the best fishing in February is wahoo fishing. What does Bimini offer as far as fishing in February? Any other Islands within 30-40 miles of Bimini with a NICE marina with better fishing? This is a family trip with 3 young girls, so fishing is a plus but First priority is a nice marina. Thanks for any help.
2011 48' Tiara "Donny D III"
Orange Beach Alabama

Replies

• VenturesomeVenturesome Posts: 1,743 Officer
    wahoo is the name of the game there. and bimini big game club is superb. look up their website. I don't think you'll be disappointed...
    2392.jpg
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    I would consider West End and Old Bahama Bay as a nicer alternative. Same or better wahoo, nicer facilities. Big Game is nice but I think OBB is a little nicer and certainly has more options food wise. Both would work.
  • Capt. Jon PinneyCapt. Jon Pinney Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    dpdash wrote: »
    I would consider West End and Old Bahama Bay as a nicer alternative. Same or better wahoo, nicer facilities. Big Game is nice but I think OBB is a little nicer and certainly has more options food wise. Both would work.

Thanks. It looks like Bimini has an airport and Old Bahama bay doesn't. Am I correct with this? I will be taking the boat over and the boss and family will fly in the following day. Having an Airport on the Island would be nice...
    2011 48' Tiara "Donny D III"
    Orange Beach Alabama
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 4,839 Captain
    Yes, West End (where Old Bahama Bay is located) is on Grand Bahama Island and the airport is alot bigger as well (more commercial flights and bigger planes). BGC is very nice but for the family, Old Bahama Bay on West End is much nicer with more things for the kids to do. Plus you can take the family to Freeport or Lucaya by taxi and check out the markets.
  • Buccanr1Buccanr1 Posts: 437 Deckhand
    OBB in West End does have an airport, but you have to be an owner/member to use it. Like 2amigo says above Freeport has a larger airport open to commercial and private charter.
    Freeport is about a 45 minute ride to West End. OBB is completely safe for the Bahamas standards, Freeport/Lucaya can get a little rough at night.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,193 AG
    I'd go with OBB in West End as well for a family thing. AirTran and others fly into Freeport (FPO) and W/E is about 25 miles away.

Here's my lengthy Photo/Report from our stay at OBB over the busy July 4th weekend. The Marina is very quiet with calm waters and no current. Let me know if you have any more questions on any specifics......

(PS: I dated a pretty, 5-10 blond in HS named Pam Pinney!)

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?4972-OBB-West-End-July-4th-weekend!