Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Replies

  • O.SEA.DO.SEA.D Posts: 648 Officer
    The one about the inlet? I was wondering the same thing.
    2011 Aeon Pro Guide 23'
    Etec 250
  • bay20bay20 Posts: 1,490 Officer
    they had computer issues with the forums yesterday and some were lost start it back up.
  • PP1PP1 Posts: 332 Deckhand
    bay20 wrote: »
    they had computer issues with the forums yesterday and some were lost start it back up.

    There was an explanation in off topic......see link http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?134214-Forum-Downtime
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
  • O.SEA.DO.SEA.D Posts: 648 Officer
    bay20 wrote: »
    they had computer issues with the forums yesterday and some were lost start it back up.

    not again :banghead I think FS needs to just give up on being amateur IT administrators and sub contract this forum out to professionals.
    2011 Aeon Pro Guide 23'
    Etec 250
  • Lunch Money SurfLunch Money Surf Posts: 1,033 Officer
    PP1 wrote: »
    There was an explanation in off topic......see link http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?134214-Forum-Downtime

    My bad then...
  • bay20bay20 Posts: 1,490 Officer
    so back to the original topic you guys game for another inlet or not. Me I understand there are some fisherman on here who think they are part scientist and think it will do more harm than good. I would love to have them build one around the Pineda area, think the river needs a good ******ng plus would solve the Port Canaveral boat ramp issue too.
  • Lunch Money SurfLunch Money Surf Posts: 1,033 Officer
    bay20 wrote: »
    so back to the original topic you guys game for another inlet or not. Me I understand there are some fisherman on here who think they are part scientist and think it will do more harm than good. I would love to have them build one around the Pineda area, think the river needs a good ******ng plus would solve the Port Canaveral boat ramp issue too.

    I would love a new inlet especially around Pineda... I just don't believe that it will do a whole lot to improve the water quality in the river.

    In my opinion there are two major things that need to be addressed:

    1. Dredge the polluted muck. There is a ridiculous price tag on this. Makes an inlet look cheap.
    2. Reduce the amount of crap in the runoff, including but not limited to fertilizer (residential and big AG), sewage, and industrial. In Brevard County, where the county seat sits on the ranch of a SOD FARMER who gave them the land... not looking too good on the fertilizer restrictions.

    Sorry but the more I think about it the more pessimistic I get. But build an inlet, I'll go fishing there.
  • PP1PP1 Posts: 332 Deckhand
    Start a new thread with the right title......I personally would like to see where the thread goes.

    I think the fertilizer and other nutrient loading is the majority of the problem with the lagoon system. While an inlet may help with that, the old saying that "dilution is not the solution to pollution" stays in the back of my mind.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
  • JethroJethro Posts: 409 Deckhand
    If they put one in Canaveral National Seashore (playlinda) it would change the way of shrimping.
  • bay20bay20 Posts: 1,490 Officer
    you are not going to stop the prima donnas from wanting to make their grass pretty if anyone could come up with an enviro friendly fertilizer they would be a millionaire in seconds. And as far as the comment "dilution is not the solution to pollution" well every no and then you need to flush your toilet not keep peeing on the poop.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,928 AG
    Adding more inlets...is a band-aid attempt at a fix....

    The issues are known....
    The costs will be astronomical...

    Nothing will be done.....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,767 Captain
    O.SEA.D wrote: »
    not again :banghead I think FS needs to just give up on being amateur IT administrators and sub contract this forum out to professionals.

    This!!!^^^^^
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,767 Captain
    Also I believe an estuary is supposed to have a freshwater/salt water balance. Like someone else said, man usually screws things up. Wouldn't millions of gallons more saly water upset the fresh/salt water balance??
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,928 AG
    tunaman wrote: »
    Also I believe an estuary is supposed to have a freshwater/salt water balance. Like someone else said, man usually screws things up. Wouldn't millions of gallons more saly water upset the fresh/salt water balance??

    Correct....

    But hey.... we need to do something...Right?

    So, Instead of attacking the known issues...knowing it will be hard and expensive.... lets hurry up and spend hundreds of millions of dollars for something that will F things up even more!....Let's dig a new inlet...:rolleyes
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    why dont they do a test run of just leaving the lock open for a few years.. if the barge canal silts in then they can dig it out.. would sure cost alot less and have less environmental impact
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,928 AG
    It's such a GREAT idea....but nobody can tell me why the grass flat INSIDE SEBASTIAN INLET....died! :shrug
    Surely all that fresh seawater every 6 hours will make the grass grow lush and verdant....:rolleyes
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    well.. digging inlets seems pretty **** invasive.. maybe if they leave the lock open for a while and figure out it aint gonna do jack shiot.. they will leave the idea alone
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,928 AG
    cbmdk86 wrote: »
    well.. digging inlets seems pretty **** invasive.. maybe if they leave the lock open for a while and figure out it aint gonna do jack shiot.. they will leave the idea alone

    I doubt it....when stupid ideas pick up steam from low information voters...politicians latch on like a tick...and it becomes a great idea...till the ramifications after the fact smack them in the face...
    It is how we got the Kissimmee ditch....Take a river...channelize it... and turn it into a 43 mile long sewer pipe straight into lake O.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    I doubt it....when stupid ideas pick up steam from low information voters...politicians latch on like a tick...and it becomes a great idea...till the ramifications after the fact smack them in the face...
    It is how we got the Kissimmee ditch....Take a river...channelize it... and turn it into a 43 mile long sewer pipe straight into lake O.

    well.... then we better get our fishin in while we can .. :grin
    So some want to forge new openings through the barrier island to flush the stagnant estuary’s pollution out to the sea.

    quote from the other article

    i thought the barrier island was merritt island.. IF they were to dig a new inlet on the beachside.. it wouldnt do the indian river much good up our way (not that it really will at any rate) unless they trenched thru merritt island..
  • Lunch Money SurfLunch Money Surf Posts: 1,033 Officer
    cbmdk86 wrote: »
    well.... then we better get our fishin in while we can .. :grin



    i thought the barrier island was merritt island.. IF they were to dig a new inlet on the beachside.. it wouldnt do the indian river much good up our way (not that it really will at any rate) unless they trenched thru merritt island..

    Good point and now that you mention it is seems obvious... an inlet in the PAFB area would only impact the Banana... all that clean water would have to go south around Dragon Point or north through the barge canal to impact the Indian River...

    Of course the Banana is part of the Indian River Lagoon "System" so I guess it's technically all the same...
Sign In or Register to comment.