lookdown

any suggestions for bait or lures i fish for them under a dock light but they school me.

Replies

• JI SnookJI Snook Posts: 676 Officer
    marabou jigs or live shrimp
  • MH79MH79 Posts: 496 Deckhand
    They love live shrimp. I've caught 'em on live shrimp while snook fishing at docks and inlets. Use a small circle hook and smaller sized shrimp and you will catch 'em.
  • glalstonglalston Posts: 259 Deckhand
    X2 on live shrimp!
  • JonathanT305JonathanT305 Posts: 164 Officer
    Live or fresh dead baits work well. I've caught them off the beach on pilchards and shrimp.

I've caught them on crappie jigs and small mirrodines as well. They don't have the biggest mouths, so size your hooks appropriately.

Just curious, what do you want them for? You eat them?
  • IntheslotIntheslot Posts: 317 Deckhand
    White crappie jigs work real good on moonies.

Best part is the pack of 8 is only $2.

Hooks are not strong, don't horse 'em up and you'll be fine.

Those are real good eats and lots of fun to catch on an ultralight.
  • IntheslotIntheslot Posts: 317 Deckhand
    Forgot, they make sabinki rigs with little shrimps, those probably work too but I've never tried them.
  • katwoman85katwoman85 Posts: 491 Officer
    I have caught Look Downs off our dock using squid. They are a tough figher too.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,119 Captain
    A small white bucktail or nylon jig work has always worked for me. You can tip it with a piece of shrimp also if you have any but not mandatory.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• evernicevernic Posts: 741 Officer
    crappie jigs, sabikis and live shrimp....all good for moonies...great sandwiches and ceviche !!!
    2802 Trophy WA, 2x225Merc EFI's...sunk unamed storm 12-09looking for boat #10
  • DaniaCanals747DaniaCanals747 Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Live or fresh dead baits work well. I've caught them off the beach on pilchards and shrimp.

I've caught them on crappie jigs and small mirrodines as well. They don't have the biggest mouths, so size your hooks appropriately.

Just curious, what do you want them for? You eat them?

Want to try them/
  • hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,193 Officer
    Want to try them/

they are fabulous. like pompano.

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: www.neflbaitco-op.com

2013 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

• mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    Tiny Terror Eyez
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    toaster fish .. :) competition tackle has some real small but heavy spinner jigs I have found to be working also ..
  • DaniaCanals747DaniaCanals747 Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys, when i was fishing under the dock light one day, i witnessed a lookdown demolish a little minnow. The next day I went to walmart and got a tiny swimbait artificial that they love. Ive been catching lookdown after lookdown including a monster the size of a globe
  • DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
    use the smallest shrimp with a tiny #3 or #4 short shank hook through the tail
    Let's go fishing!
  • ethanmayoethanmayo Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    they jump all over the Sabiki rigs!:fishing
  • tripletailtim8tripletailtim8 Posts: 177 Officer
    any suggestions for bait or lures i fish for them under a dock light but they school me.

A guy from the Caymen Islands had me make a batch of jigs to his specs to use for lookdown. He tips them with shrimp and says they work great.
    Tim Goodwin
    T&A JIGS
    Port St Luice, Florida
    (561)389-4180

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/TaJigs?ref=hl
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]