Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Opinions on waterproof waist packs

flycast03flycast03 Junior MemberPosts: 3 Greenhorn
Does anyone have an opinion on the new LL Beans Waterproof waist pack?

Replies

• FreeFlyFreeFreeFlyFree Senior Member South Florida-Broward CountyPosts: 121 Deckhand
    I really don't shop at LA bean
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Senior Member Posts: 2,422 Captain

If you don't have anything relevant to post...........

Flycast- Just a general rule of thumb, if you don't want it to get wet than leave it in the truck. The waterproof products from other companies (simms, sage)typically hold up fine, the problem is people drop stuff getting them in/out of the pack. The waterproof zippers are really stiff, and when you combine that with wet & slimy hands, accidents will happen.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Senior Member Posts: 4,804 Captain
    Here's a second vote for "leave it in the truck".... If you have to bring a few flies or leaders with you while wading - the only way I was ever able to keep stuff dry was to put in a small ziplock bag and keep the bag under my hat. A pair of forceps clipped to my shirt collar, and a small nipper on a cord around my neck (along with the key to the truck) and I was good to go for hours...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Gladesman1Gladesman1 Member South FloridaPosts: 52 Deckhand
    I frequently use a non waterproof sling back from Orvis and a non water proof bag from fishpond. Knowing that they aren't truly waterproof tends to give me the default level of care to pack wisely. I DO however secure what can't get wet in a waterproof bag I get from BPS in the camping section. They are very cheap for what they are and protect my phone, keys, wallet from the worse case scenerio. Larger sizes exist for maps, GPS, etc.. Flipping my yak or being pelted in a sudden rain in my canoe or shore walk aren't quite as hazardous.

My flies depending on day and time on the water are in their own waterproof box or clipped on a fly holder from fishpond that I velcro to either bag (the fishpond comes that way). Happy Medium.

IMHO Leaving stuff in a truck in Miami is a recipe to have it dry in some one else's truck before too long. I would rather secure it with me and take my chances on the water. :)
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Senior Member Posts: 1,357 Officer

Stupid reply.
  • FS JeffFS Jeff Editor Treasure Coast, FLPosts: 376 Moderator
    I really like the magnetic-opening chest packs, versus anything with zippers. The William Joseph Current pack is one I've used for a while, but there are others like it.

http://www.cabelas.com/mens-fishing-vests-chest-fanny-packs-william-joseph-current-magnetic-chest-pack-4.shtml

Keeps your stuff high and dry enough for most saltwater wading. Much better than the old vests or most waist packs that I've tried.

Also: Shirt pockets are great.
    Jeff Weakley
  • flycast03flycast03 Junior Member Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    You guys are so right. I should pack wisely and leave the valuables in the truck. I have this habit of wading too deep and getting washed out. Thanks for the common sense answers. This would be a duh moment for me.:) One of these days, I'll have a skiff and won't have to worry about that anymore. Thanks guys
  • Kevin KellyKevin Kelly Member Baton Rouge, LAPosts: 84 Greenhorn
    Sagebrush makes a great waterproof pack. I have no experience with the LL Bean pack, so i can't comment on it specifically, other than to say it looks like a re-make of a pack Simms used to make. I have the Simms Dry Creek pack, and it's mostly waterproof, but if i'm carrying anything in it that i really must keep dry, i put it in a ziploc bag inside the pack. I guess no matter how "waterproof" a pack is said to be, i'm not going to trust it for something valuable.
  • tarpon9wttarpon9wt Senior Member Broward, FLPosts: 110 Deckhand
    If i'm surf fishing from the beach I'll often use a waist pack, not waterproof since I seldom go in past my ankles. Wading I use a chest pack and my car keys with beeper and cell phone always go into a ziploc bag in case i should slip. My camera is an Olympus waterproof so I don't have to worry about it.