Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Palm Bay Bass Pro Shop?

Does anyone know when the new BPS in Palm Bay is supposed to open?

Replies

• RudefishRudefish Posts: 148 Officer
    December 5th is the Grand opening
  • JesseJamesJesseJames Posts: 2,408 Captain
    December 4th - Night of Conservation(6p-9p)
    December 5th - Grand Opening

They're finishing the supporting structure for the exterior facade/porch above the gators and hogs and the imagery team has started the inside of the building too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
  • Paragon1Paragon1 Posts: 510 Officer
    Who cares, another Wal-mart of sporting goods stores. We already have **** sporting goods and sports authority.

I hope the Strike Zone customers stay loyal, that's an excellent establishment and it'd suck if they get put under by predatory big-business
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,928 AG
    Paragon1 wrote: »
    Who cares, another Wal-mart of sporting goods stores. We already have **** sporting goods and sports authority.

I hope the Strike Zone customers stay loyal, that's an excellent establishment and it'd suck if they get put under by predatory big-business

Not to mention the "Mom & Pop" bait and tackles...

I wonder if Bass Pro is going to have live shrimp and Pigs & Pins when those Mom & Pops close up because people thought it was a good idea to save $7 on a reel.... and of course, the answer is no...Live bait is no "cash cow"....but selling " Columbia" this and "salt life" that is where the money is....we're here to supply the Faux fisherman all they need to "look good"..... while not catching $h!+ :rotflmao
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    duckmanJR wrote: »

I wonder if Bass Pro is going to have live shrimp and Pigs & Pins when those Mom & Pops close up because people thought it was a good idea to save $7 on a reel.... and of course, the answer is no...Live bait is no "cash cow"....but selling " Columbia" this and "salt life" that is where the money is....we're here to supply the Faux fisherman all they need to "look good"..... while not catching $h!+ :rotflmao

unhooking a catfish just aint the same without columbia on your back and salt life on your car..
    Paragon1 wrote: »

Just out of curiousity, what exactly is "predatory big business" and how does Bass Pro Shops fall into that category? There are 4800 Wal-Marts nationwide, 450 Sports Authorities and 193 ****'s Sporting Goods. There are only 60 Bass Pro Shops in the US. It's a privately owned, American Company.

The Palm Bay BPS will not be selling live bait, just frozen bait. They will be selling the soft-lines merchandise (apparel, hats, watches sunglasses, gifts) just like Strike-Zone and most other regional and local outdoor retailers. If there is an "enemy" to any brick & mortar outdoor retailer it is the online "wholesale/clearinghouse" tackle dealers. Because they don't occur the same overhead that a storefront does they are able to slash prices and dodge things like sales tax and MAP.

The Palm Bay store has hired 300 East Central Florida residents. The vast majority of whom were unemployed or had retired but saw their saving/401K slaughtered. There are no minimum wage jobs at Bass Pro. Depending on position and level of experience there are some folks who are being compensated very well. There are benefits available to Full-Time(which a large part of the new staff is) as well as Part Time associates.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
    JesseJames wrote: »
    If there is an "enemy" to any brick & mortar outdoor retailer it is the online "wholesale/clearinghouse" tackle dealers. Because they don't occur the same overhead that a storefront does they are able to slash prices and dodge things like sales tax and MAP.

We agree on this point..:Agree

It is good that they are providing 300 jobs...

But...
    Bass Pro is no different than any "big box" in that they drive out small business that are on close margins..
    Bass Pro is a tourist destination like Ron Johns...with a big fish tank to look at.
    It is not about fisherman...it is about being able to take the wife and kids to *your* "Disneyworld" and they won't be whining and complaining.
    Their "house brand"...unlike Cabelas...is total junk...an easy " Tell " that someone is a newb.

As I said...and the point I was making....
    When you save a couple of dollars buying at *ANY* big box...you may someday show up to buy a couple dz shrimp to take your kid or grandkid fishing...to see a vacant storefront.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    cbmdk86 wrote: »
    unhooking a catfish just aint the same without columbia on your back and salt life on your car..

You will also need some very expensive pliers....and better throw in an overpriced and under-equiped first aid kit also...:rotflmao
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Paragon1Paragon1 Posts: 510 Officer

Haha, umm, okay I'll admit that I wear Some brand names.... Please don't shun me! I swear I only get them on sale!
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,403 Captain
    Bass Pro is going to do it's thing, and if anyone is worried about it it's ****'s & Sports Authority. I work at a tackle shop, in Melbourne, and I really don't see Bass Pro as a threat. I actually plan on sending them business when people come to the shop for items we don't provide, they're likely to do the same for us. The regional manager came into the shop the other day, he made a good first impression.
  • kantczakkantczak Posts: 163 Officer
    I can't wait for bass pro it's going to be awesome but they will not take much of my business I'm not going to drive from Merritt island to get a pack of hooks or save a buck on a lure but I will like to spend the day and try out every rod and reel I can get my hands on before spending my money
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,031 Officer
    I doubt anyone will completely abandon their local tackle shop once they get a wiff of the prices at Bass Pro. The good news is that between the new Port St. Lucy and Palm Bay stores, over 600 folks will now have a job, pay taxes, buy gas and lunch going to work and help move the economy in the right direction albeit in a small way.

I agree that once and a while a trip there exposes you to stuff you will not find in local shops. There is no benefit to buying a Stradic at Bass Pro when it's selling for list price - go to your local shop and buy it there instead and get free mono to boot! The soft baits I saw were actually more $ at BP than my local shops.
    Bass pro has a nice fish tank....but little else of interest.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • StringpluckerStringplucker Posts: 64 Greenhorn

I couldn't agree more!! This is so very true!
    Yeah, but I'm not getting Johnnie Morris to give me that big endorsement deal though...........:rotflmao
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    And I just saw a commercial with it all about Christmas at Bass Pro....
    I sure hope that the Port St lucie Bass pro has a slot car track like they had on TV...it will give me something else to do besides buy a bag of those French Burnt peanuts to eat and look at the fish tank......:wink
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Lunch Money SurfLunch Money Surf Posts: 1,033 Officer
    Wouldn't it be great if a big company like Bass Pro showed some local environmental stewardship and contributed to the lagoon clean up?
  • SHELLFISHSHELLFISH Posts: 106 Deckhand
    I would rather it was a Cabelas store!
    SHELLFISH wrote: »
    I would rather it was a Cabelas store!

If God listened to my prayers............. :wink
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Wouldn't it be great if a big company like Bass Pro showed some local environmental stewardship and contributed to the lagoon clean up?

They did. They were one of the sponsors for the Hands Across The Lagoon event that took place 2(ish) months ago. Also, 50% of the revenue generated from the Night of Conservation on December 4th will be donated to a local conservation effort.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
    JesseJames wrote: »
    They did. They were one of the sponsors for the Hands Across The Lagoon event that took place 2(ish) months ago..

Yeah, I posted pics of that here at the Wabasso causeway... a bunch of Birkenstock clad "greenies" holding hands...
    What a real boon to our lagoon :rolleyes
    Try and imagine if each one just planted one mangrove plant or some spartina grass instead of a "kumbaya" moment.

Who...and how...will they determine what local conservation effort gets funded?
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

Who...and how...will they determine what local conservation effort gets funded?

I'm not sure if they've made a finally decision yet. The final call is Johnny's and he's always very involved with the decisions. Let me see what I can find out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
  • PostalPostal Posts: 169 Officer
    That place will not get a dime from me .Local small shops only .They claim to hire the "most experienced" to serve the customers .I have met some managers and staff from both new shops and that statement is the furthest from the truth it was a joke .Its another Ron Jons tourist trap where the locals and people who are hardcore fisherman and outdoors wont go there .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] :chill
    I sure hope that the Palm bay Bass pro has a slot car track like they had on TV...it will give me something else to do besides buy a bag of those French Burnt peanuts to eat and look at the fish tank......

I found out the the PSL store isn't a "mega bass discount world shop till you drop everythings here a palooza" size store...
    and without the slot cars...I ain't goin' :rotflmao
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,767 Captain
    They have some good boat cleaning supplies too!
    tunaman wrote: »
    They have some good boat cleaning supplies too!

Would you like me to pick you up some of that stuff?...
    I'm getting the French burnt peanuts for me... :rotflmao
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • 06scoob06scoob Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    But they have an excellent hot sauce selection!! hahaha
    I sure hope that the Palm bay Bass pro has a slot car track like they had on TV...it will give me something else to do besides buy a bag of those French Burnt peanuts to eat and look at the fish tank......

I found out the the PSL store isn't a "mega bass discount world shop till you drop everythings here a palooza" size store...
    and without the slot cars...I ain't goin' :rotflmao

A lot of the new stores opening up are a new footprint for Bass Pro and are called "Outposts" instead of the traditional "Outdoor World." While a typical Outdoor World is 200,000sqft+ an average Outpost will only be 80,000-100,000sqft and are usually remodels of existing structures where Outdoor World's are new construction. The new store in PSL was supposed to be a Kohl's at one point. The Palm Bay store was a furniture place then a Chevy Dealership, then stood vacant for years.

Also, Someone above mentioned the "experience" of the staff in a Fishing Dept. As it so happens, I just staffed a Fishing Dept for Bass Pro Shops so let me share some of the challenges I faced.

Most independant/Mom & Pop's are geocentric. They usually cater to very specific clientele fishing a specific region/body of water. Look at the small shops in Titusville. How much of their business is based on Mosquito Lagoon and the NIRL? 80%? 90%? Same for the independant shops up and down the coast with maybe the exception of a few slightly larger regional shops that still tend to be either saltwater or freshwater specific. Basically, as long as the staff knows that region and that type of fishing then they can provide an "experienced" level of knowledge to the customer. My situation is a little different. I have to be able to cover Freshwater (Bass/Crappie/Catfish/Panfish), Saltwater Inshore(Flats/River/Inlet/Surf/Pier/etc) and Saltwater Offshore(trolling/bottom/otherside/deep dropping/kite/sword/Cobia/etc) and I only have one team to do this with. Despite what some people claim, I still haven't run into one expert who can speak chapter and verse on all types of Florida Fishing in great detail. Let alone an entire team to staff a dept 12hrs a day, 7days a week, 364days a year. The only thing I can do is try to hire people who are extremely knowledgeable in one or two areas and use them to cross-train each other through the different styles to the best of their ability. It takes time, and it's by no means a perfect system. I can take a Bass guy and walk him through everything he needs to know about high-speed trolling for Wahoo including rigs/gear/tactics but if he's never been able to get offshore and do it he's only going to be able to provide so much information. He can get you to the product, show you your options and share whatever info he's learned along the way but that will be the extent of what he can do. I suppose I could hire a bunch of salty charter captains with decades of fishing knowledge. The problem is their "customer service" ain't always the ebst and they don't know a lot about retail, merchandising or cash registers...

And yes, there is a good hot sauce selection...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
    Well said....and i understand completely.

But most importantly...Will Palm bay have the French burnt peanuts? :wink
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,767 Captain
    Well said....and i understand completely.

But most importantly...Will Palm bay have the French burnt peanuts? :wink

Let the peanuts go