Suffix Braid Guy for a long time - quick feedback please on Power Pro

Long time user.... My local tackle guy only has the new Power Pro..... Should I hold off or go with the new stuff (PP)? Long time Suffix guy with ZERO complaints...

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,018 AG
    My advice: Stick with Suffx. PP has had quality control issues with the new line and doesn't cast nearly as well when new. In my experience, Tuff-line and Spiderwire are both good substitutes for Suffix but PP is not....Mike
  • twirptwirp Posts: 1,128 Officer
    Don't leave Suffix, for PP...you'll be sadly disapointed. The only thing I've found that I personally like better then Suffix, is Fins.
    Pathfinder-Logo-300x103.jpg
  • SuperFlukeSuperFluke Posts: 1,889 Captain
    I don't think they are that different...
  • YaknMikeYaknMike Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Stick with the Suffix. Some of the Spiderwires are comparable but I've seen more problems with PowerPro then the others.
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    YaknMike wrote: »
    Stick with the Suffix. Some of the Spiderwires are comparable but I've seen more problems with PowerPro then the others.
    what kind of problems.

wind knots.?
    casting distance?
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 554 Officer
    SuperFluke wrote: »
    I don't think they are that different...

They really are not. After using all different types of braid, I've come to the conclusion, people hate on power pro way too much.
  • Camera guyCamera guy Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    I inshore fish. I love suffix! Not a fan of PP. I think ifyou troll you won't have issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Ol RobOl Rob Posts: 37 Deckhand
    I only use power pro. I really like the super slick 8. The regular pp does need thirty or fourth casts to break in, but no real issues with new.
    As always YMMV. Rob
  • NSByakNSByak Posts: 424 Officer
    Love the PP slick 8

Also heard it works better with how the Shimano reels lay it down vs. Penn. Not sure if there is truth to that or not, I'm a Shimano guy
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    spiderwire stealth ... never knots..
  • YaknMikeYaknMike Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Darcy wrote: »
    what kind of problems.

wind knots.?
    casting distance?

The biggest issue i've seen is inconsistency in the line itself. I find that I break off more frequently with PP than any besides Berkley Pro Braid. That stuff is garbage.
  • edczachor36edczachor36 Posts: 219 Officer
    I really like the Power Pro Super 8. I fish inshore and back country and have found it casts and retrieves great. Maybe because I cast a lot, I don't see a "break-in". I bought a large spool of the Aqua Green for my common size and when I needed a heavier line I ordered it online because I was finding empty spots on the shelves. I have used Suffix and Fins and while I don't really have any issues with them, I'll stick with the PP Super Slick 8.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,242 Captain
    I long ago concluded that Sufix runs rings around Power Pro (but maybe PP has finally caught up --- Who knows?). All of my gear is in hard commercial service and I have no affiliation with Sufix....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    ive tried a bunch of braids.
    spider wire is okay, used that once 20#.
    Tuf line is good, used that a few times, 20# and 15#. Would use that again because its good and its cheap.
    nanofil is alright, i used 8#. acts kinda like mono. smooth. id try it again. kinda frays like fireline though.
    fireline works. used 6# and 10#. caught lots of reds on this line. its good, but i feel it frays, which has to make it weaker.
    sufix 832 in 20#. I like this line a lot, its just kinda pricey. Id like to try it in 10 and 15, maybe next time. its good stuff.
    power pro is good. kinda stiff brand new. it works well, ive used 5#, 10#, 15#, 20#, 30#, 40#. its just kinda the go to line because its everywhere.
    the new power pro super slick is my main go to now though. smoother, rounder, nicer. i havent had any problems with it. aside from the normal braid problems of abrasion and what not, but thats normal. ive used 10#, 15#, and 20#. My favorite is 15# for most uses, freshwater, and flats.

thats my basic outline of what ive used.
    as for the lines in question, sufix or super slick, its a throw up, i think both of them a great. i just dont use the 832 hardly at all, which id like to, its just on a specific set up. but i have caught nice stuff with it.

if money isnt an problem, get the 832 i think.
    or give the super slick a try, its good stuff as well.
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    Long time PP user... also have try spider/JB and suffix Performance... oh and I put the super slick PP on my
    freshwater gear and HATE IT!! (10Lb test) frays way too easy and also seems to unravel .... (and I had
    two spools from different vendors)...

Any hoo> Suffix and PP IMO aren't the same at all... granted I don't have the problems that others have with
    PP, but the suffix just seems better... (Not by much, but then again I like regular PP)...

Hand down one of the most user friendly braid IMHO was Jerry brown... but they have changed owners and
    some have said that the line isn't the same...

I hate change and super slick prove that again to me... LOL.

IMHO if you like suffix... then stick with it.. Plenty of places to still find it online> Ebay has it..
    trust me I hate the feeling of fishing with line that I don't have any faith in...Yes Yes change is good at time,
    but why have it force on you by your pro shop..... just saying
    aa13.gif "A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,486 Officer
    Thanks guys.... I stuck with Suffix.... Spooled up... 20 minutes later fished the beach for flounder... Not a single issue... Love the stuff
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,172 Admiral
    Jettypark wrote: »
    Long time PP user... also have try spider/JB and suffix Performance... oh and I put the super slick PP on my
    freshwater gear and HATE IT!! (10Lb test) frays way too easy and also seems to unravel .... (and I had
    two spools from different vendors)...

Any hoo> Suffix and PP IMO aren't the same at all... granted I don't have the problems that others have with
    PP, but the suffix just seems better... (Not by much, but then again I like regular PP)...

Hand down one of the most user friendly braid IMHO was Jerry brown... but they have changed owners and
    some have said that the line isn't the same...

This ^^^

Anyone who uses PP super slick needs their head examined. :grin

Sufix Performance!
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    id say it frays. but with 8 thinner fibers compared to 4 bigger ones, i guess it would fray more than regular stuff.

i like it though.

i dont have insurance, so i cant get my head checked.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,004 Moderator
    I fish a lot of PP and have never had a problem with it. Lots of folks have complaints, but that could simply be that PP has been in the hands of more anglers than other brands... Just a thought.

Seems to me that hating on PP is either a trend thing, or it's just a greater volume of unhappy customers due to the volume of folks that buy it.

I'd like to know exactly WHERE it is on line that folks are breaking off. Then I'd like to examine their tip top , and then take into consideration the diameter line / "lb test" being used.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    Amazon.com
    Buy what you want cheaper with no sales tax.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,004 Moderator
    and I wonder how many people who have had problems with Power Pro bought industry leading brand off of ebay and it was counterfeit from China.

or maybe they just can't tie knots.

or knots are more difficult to tie in Power Pro and that results in dissatisfaction.

all I know is that in the past 10 years I have probably $4000 and Power Pro and I don't have
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • SpecksOnDeckSpecksOnDeck Posts: 103 Deckhand
    Used Suffix before a few times and have switched away from it. I like power pro and have used it a lot and still do. I think power pro lasts a lot longer than suffix. As far as tying knots, i've had no trouble with either. I also use Fins braid and like it as well but still think the power pro is my favorite.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,172 Admiral
    I like and use most original PP lines on my larger rigs (65lb +) but the light super 8 slick sux ballyhoo!
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    Stick with what you like. Heck, some guys still like mono.:)
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • esteroestero Posts: 2,041 Captain
    What Sufix are you now using and which new Power Pro are you talking about?

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

• ryanpryanp Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    Stick with Suffix. I've used PP exclusively on all my gear and recently made the switch to wonderbraid. Too many windknot episodes with PP. If you're looking to switch, checkout ohero or wonderbraid.
  • pp is extremely good, i have both and love both but i like pp it is smaller thinner line.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,400 Admiral
    A mix of mono ,fluorocarbon and original power pro on my baitcasters (I don't care for the super slick). Invisibraid on my saltwater spinning rods that I throw artificials with (10lb and 30lb). Live bait or dead bait I prefer mono.

I have used sufix before , I thought it frayed faster than others.
  • davederbdavederb Posts: 887 Officer
    I used PP for years and kept getting wind knots constantly. Switched to SpiderWire Ultracast Invisibraid and never have issues. Use it from 10lb-20lb and love it!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12’s
  • Baja280Baja280 Posts: 440 Deckhand
    I have used power pro slick for a couple years now and never had any issues, but I was thinking of trying the new Seaguar Kanzen braid. supposedly it has and even smaller diameter and higher strength, has anyone tried it? if so what do you think
    Premium Auto Body and Collision
    Anything from Hot Rods to Bentleys
    Also work with ALL Insurance Carriers
    941-685-3540