Knot: Big fluoro leader to hook?

michauxiimichauxii Posts: 54 Deckhand
Best, easy to tie and strong. Let's say 80-100# Seaguar fluorocarbon.

What's your knot?

Replies

• SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,944 Admiral
    Either a Snell or San Diego Jam knot.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,420 Moderator
    snell
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,304 Captain
    why would you knot crimp that?
  • jsrodguy1jsrodguy1 Posts: 545 Officer
    Nail knot
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,508 AG
    Snell it if you can -- it will test out to near 100%.

If not, a three and a half turn clinch knot works well for me (where my main line is a fraction of the leader -- for instance 50lb braid to 80lb fluro) and the knot has never, not even once, failed in this situation. Make sure and moisten the knot so it will draw down.
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    Whatever knot you use I would have a pair of pliers handy to grab the bitter end of the knot while you pull it tight.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • duke6543duke6543 Posts: 336 Deckhand
    Crawford knot is my favorite. Fast and simple. It is what I use when I pre-tie many hook and leaders for a four day trip. Yet to have one fail.
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Snell
  • nightflynightfly Posts: 502 Officer
    Snell it
  • michauxiimichauxii Posts: 54 Deckhand
    Gentlemen.. I can snell a hook with the best of them, so snell it is!
    Using 80# Seaguar, will 4-5 wraps be OK?
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,420 Moderator
    I'd use 5 with 80#
  • FWCSnookFWCSnook Posts: 886 Officer
    Nail knot or crimp.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,150 Admiral
    The Thumb Knot!

for the hvy stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbEnl2O9SNo
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    Rapala knot
    FSU is the best football team of all time!
  • Joupdog1Joupdog1 Posts: 1,416 Officer
    I've used a loop knot on 80 pound and never had it fail. Just make sure you pull it tight.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,150 Admiral
    Loop knot is ghoot!
  • smoothiesmoothie Posts: 117 Officer
    loop
    michauxii wrote: »
    Gentlemen.. I can snell a hook with the best of them, so snell it is!
    Using 80# Seaguar, will 4-5 wraps be OK?

I'd go 5 or 6, but that's just because I've always used 5 or 6 wraps with 80 Seaguar....>Mike
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    To those recommending other knots... when tying heavy leader to a hook, why would you ever use anything other than a Snell ??? (assuming you know how)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,732 Captain
    To those recommending other knots... when tying heavy leader to a hook, why would you ever use anything other than a Snell ??? (assuming you know how)

You wouldn't and I guess they don't. There's not a chance in hell any of those other knots test close to 100% with fluro over 80#. Now, if you're using 20# main line and less than 10#'s of drag then I guess it doesn't matter.....but that doesn't make it right.

If you don't want the rigidity of a snell, then crimp. Any other advise on this thread should be disregarded.
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,388 Captain

If you don't want the rigidity of a snell, then crimp.

:thumbsup
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 517 Officer
    uni or double uni

Time and the ability to tie it in the dark (the way I tie a snell you have to be able to see).
  • BradyJrBradyJr Posts: 44 Deckhand
    Snell or nail or crimp
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,984 Moderator
    So how do you Snell to your swivel? For breaking strength who cares if Snell gives you 99% breaking strength. The knot to swivel or line to line knot will break first anyway. If by some miracle those are 100%, then your main line, say 50 or 60 is going to break.

I Snell not for the break strength of the not, but because it keeps shaft of hook inline with stiff heavy leader. With a circle hook, this drastically helps with hookup ratio as tension is more easily applied inline with hook point and not off to the side. A loop knot to a circle hook would be the exact opposite.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • RedRichRedRich Posts: 253 Deckhand
    Spangler knot, easy to tie in heavy flouro, as strong as double San Diego.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/showthread.php/301513-New-Knot
  • Samd3100Samd3100 Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Snell knot
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,954 Captain
    LOL... to each his own... use what WORKS for YOU... and that's it.. they have made many knot wars
    and other contest..... but people often forget that others don't fish in the same area or the same gamefish..

Pick out a knot.. review it.... learn to tie it.... then tie it in the worst weather possible... and if works then that's the
    knot you need to work with... in plain English... use the KISS system and you will be fine...

imo a fast no nonsense knot that will hold and can be tie in a heartbeat> Uni knot... hell you can even snell it with a uni....
    aa13.gif "A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    Uni snell is kool.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 517 Officer
    Jettypark wrote: »
    LOL... to each his own... use what WORKS for YOU... and that's it.. they have made many knot wars
    and other contest..... but people often forget that others don't fish in the same area or the same gamefish..

Pick out a knot.. review it.... learn to tie it.... then tie it in the worst weather possible... and if works then that's the
    knot you need to work with... in plain English... use the KISS system and you will be fine...

imo a fast no nonsense knot that will hold and can be tie in a heartbeat> Uni knot... hell you can even snell it with a uni....

best advice in the thread - learn to tie a couple of knots blindfolded - when the boat is rocking side-to-side, slamming waves on the anchor, etc and you'll be good to go