Looking for critics

Icatcher22Icatcher22 Posts: 320 Deckhand
Recently had surgery on arm and decided I would have time to tie my own flies for the next month instead of buying so why not. Looking for advice on how to better these patterns...just started tying so feel free to critique.

image_zpsac9da896.jpg[/URL

image_zps7a238e27.jpg

image_zpsf7932263.jpg

image_zps925e67d8.jpg

image_zps8b6b1c3d.jpg

image_zpse9e96fe3.jpg

image_zpsa52d777d.jpg

Replies

• saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,579 Captain
    Very nice. I'm a seaducer fan myself and those look great. If you find your baitfish imitations don't swim right it's most likely due to being too full with material. Try using a little less material with the synthetic baitfish. Other than that, tied nice, trimmed nice.
    Be sure to post the fish you catch once the bones heal.
  • Icatcher22Icatcher22 Posts: 320 Deckhand
    I have tied a few EP's on a buddys vice before and had that problem. Will give it a shot w/ less material thanks. It always seem like you have the right amount of EP fibers and by the time your done the fly is way to thick.
  • catch itcatch it Posts: 136 Officer
    For the EP baitfish...I would center your eyes on hook shank.
  • redheadredhead Posts: 120 Officer
    EP flies are tricky. When you think you have the right amount of fiber in your hand remove half of it. It takes so little fiber to tie that it seems wrong. Here's a real easy way to tie the EP fly that uses only 4 pieces of material. http://youtu.be/DhlCWV8tTNM
    Since your in st pete if you wanted face to face advice go talk to Enver at Tampa Bay on the Fly. He'll sit down at the vice with you. I believe they have a tying group there Tuesday evenings as well.
  • BonesmugglerBonesmuggler Posts: 133 Officer
    If you were a hotdog would you eat yourself? I sure would I'd ask for seconds. Flies look delicious!!! I'd eat em if I were a feesh
  • Capt PatCapt Pat Posts: 37 Deckhand
    The toads look good, I prefer a shorter tail on mine. I usually tie a few up to see how they work/cast/swim in order to determine the amount of material to use and go from there.
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    Icatcher22 wrote: »
    Recently had surgery on arm and decided I would have time to tie my own flies for the next month instead of buying so why not. Looking for advice on how to better these patterns...just started tying so feel free to critique.

image_zpsac9da896.jpg[/URL

image_zps7a238e27.jpg

image_zpsf7932263.jpg

image_zps925e67d8.jpg

image_zps8b6b1c3d.jpg

image_zpse9e96fe3.jpg

image_zpsa52d777d.jpg

Sir,

Why not buy a factory fly of each of the intended flies you want to tie, then keep tying the same fly till it looks like the factory original? Just a thought.

Carl Blckledge