Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Water Levels in the North IRL & ML

Fellow Forum Fisherman -

I'm still pretty green when it comes to inshore fishing in this area, started about a year ago and was hooked when I fished the ML the first time and got a slam that day. One day I hope to be like DuckmanJr and have slams numbering in the 50s, but I have much, much to learn. I fish as much as I can and treat each day on the water as a class taught by mother nature as I pursue some of her greatest wonders and treasures. With all that said as a kind of introduction (as I never really introduced myself on this thing) I have a question maybe some of you can help me with. The water levels in the ML and North IRL, my primary home waters - what makes them rise and fall? I mean there's not much tidal action as there aren't any inlets close by, and I know rain/freshwater runoff has a hand in it, but what outside that? I mean there are places I've fished before, take Dummitt Cove for instance, where one weekend I can get in there no issues then only a week or two later am scraping the bottom of my little Hewes everywhere I go even when push poling.

Thanks.

Replies

• SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    wind plays a big role..there are more factors at play but the wind is a big influence on water levels.. think of the lagoons as a big ol salty pond.. it really doesnt do much until the wind starts pushing it... in the wintertime, the north wind and lack of rainfall drive the levels down and also allow for the water to clean up nicely.. i went to playalinda today and stopped off at eddy creek.. it looks like the water is already going down a bit and it looked cleaner than it did last time i was out there..
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    and treat each day on the water as a class taught by mother nature as I pursue some of her greatest wonders and treasures.

Miss America couldnt've said it any better herself. :puke
    Welcome to the forum.

CB answered your question.
  • Gooner PyleGooner Pyle Posts: 188 Officer
    Thanks for the wisdom. It's been added to the tackle box.