Old Lures, Question

My grandfather just gave me his lifetime collection of lures. Needless to say, I was absolutely speechless. I wouldn't want to part with them, but I am wondering what they're actual value is to have them insured if necessary. To be clear, I'm not interested in selling them.

There's probably about 100 lures in a massive tackle box, most of them are "Cotton Cordell" / hellbender lures, but there's some older wooden (I think they might be Heddon lures) in there and some unique spider lures that the propeller moves their legs (neat!).

Does anyone know of a 'lure expert / collector' in the Big Bend, Lake City, or Gainesville areas that could accurately value these?

img0511n.th.jpg
img0512d.th.jpg
img0513ol.th.jpg
img0514xx.th.jpg
img0515sm.th.jpg
img0517e.th.jpg
img0518yu.th.jpg
img0519ao.th.jpg
sigsmallx.jpg
Q: How much fishing equipment can a man have before his wife throws him out?
A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!

Replies

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,051 AG
    Looking on eBay might give you an idea too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    I'll give a hundred for them.......kidding of course.
    Those lures look pristine I'd have to agree with flash about ebay being a resource to find value of them but you will have trouble finding ones in that fine condition there. I'd buddy up with a collector and get thier input (and watch'em drool).
    I could never be a collector 'cause i'd have to try to catch a trout on each one!
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • tekmunkitekmunki Posts: 668 Officer
    I looked on ebay, the few that I found ranged from $11-$45, one of the Heddons was $129 as a starting bid. I'm a little lost because many of them are completely unmarked and would need a professional to determine the make, if it's even possible. Most of lures are Hellbenders, the prices are from a tackle store and are marked as $1.75 ea. at the time of purchase.

From my research, the majority of them are from the 70's... which coincides with the $1.15 in change I found in the bottom of the tackle box (dated 1965-1970. :) It was neat opening a time capsule like this, it was like some day in 1970 he just decided to stop fishing and put it in an attic. Apart from asking for advice, I really wanted to share this find with you all.

Thanks for the input. :) I'll keep researching. This will be really cool to pass down to my son, or even grandson, in many, many, years.
    sigsmallx.jpg
    Q: How much fishing equipment can a man have before his wife throws him out?
    A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,647 Captain
    tekmunki wrote: »
    This will be really cool to pass down to my son, or even grandson, in many, many, years.

There is your answer as to their worth.

They will only appreciate being in that good of condition. The old wooden lures are worth a bunch but the lures from the 70's will take awhile before they are priceless. Obviously they have more value than they did new but keep them in the same shape, with all the boxes you have, and they will become very valuable.

Thanks for sharing.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    I use to have a tackle box full of those lures, used them on Kentucky Lake bass fishin. Some of those might be worth a little extra money, worth looking into :Rockon
  • gatorsaintgatorsaint Posts: 173 Deckhand
    Gary Simpson at Gary's Tackle Box in Gainesville might be able to help you. I'm pretty sure he collects vintage tackle/lures.
    Here's a link to his website.
    http://garystacklebox.com/
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    gatorsaint wrote: »
    Gary Simpson at Gary's Tackle Box in Gainesville might be able to help you. I'm pretty sure he collects vintage tackle/lures.
    Here's a link to his website.
    http://garystacklebox.com/

X2 on this, Gary is your man to ask. Great collection and thank you for showing them. You should set up a display in your "Man Room" at your house but like was said above save all the boxes and keep everything in the original package. By the way, I'll up TM's bid and offer $110.00....
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • TumbleweedTomTumbleweedTom Posts: 1,987 Officer
    What a special gift! And.., to say that your grandfather is a neat freak is an understatement I believe. Don't know about you, but my tackle box sure doesn't look that organized.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy." Tom Waits.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,432 Officer
    Your grandfather must have been a good bass fisherman. Lots of winner baits in good colors.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,298 Captain
    These sites may help:

http://oldheddonfishinglures.com/

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/fishing/lures

http://vintagefishinglures.net/

Most of the really valuable vintage lures were made in the early 1900's or at least before WWW II.

As others have suggested, it would be best to hang onto that box and pass it to your kids.
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,451 Officer
    Very nice. That is a great collection of lures. :thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,503 Moderator
    Very nice. That is a great collection of lures. :thumbsup

x2.. I see a couple of 5M18 mirror lures in a frog finish. Never seen that color on one.
    "You'll get your weather"