Completely lost

JoelSJoelS Posts: 6 Greenhorn
I am from Michigan, and that is where I fish. I have never dropped a line in salt water.

My nephew is a Pleasure boat captain (cat sailboat) in the Caribbean. He invited me to sail with him but I one upped him and asked him to join me on a fishing charter in his home waters as my guest. I feel the family takes advantage of him and their visits mean more work for him. I thought I would change that.

My problem is I have no clue what I need. Here is what I have. I hope I didn't screw it up already. As my favorite nephew (translation, only nephew) I decided to make up for 30+ years of very little gift giving and bought him a reel. It is a Daiwa Saltist Big Game LG30T 2-spd.

I am used to Baitcasters, but the itty bittie reels I use are dwarfed by this behemoth. I have no clue what to spool this thing with!

I also want to pair it with a rod. No idea what to do here either.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I watch WFN but have always skipped the saltwater shows. I am regretting that right now.
A government big enough to give you everything you need, is strong enough to take away everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Replies

• TobiwanTobiwan Posts: 118 Officer
    I would think if you charter a boat they would provide the gear. Maybe I'm lost though lol
  • heavychevy15heavychevy15 Posts: 838 Officer
    Tobiwan wrote: »
    I would think if you charter a boat they would provide the gear. Maybe I'm lost though lol

X2 ... The norm is gear is provided however being that you're doing it in the caribbean (I think you said) maybe its different.
  • JoelSJoelS Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    The gear is for my nephew. I've been on charters before and know they will provide gear. This is for him to use after I leave.

The Catamaran he skippers is owned by a Norwegian who has several boats. It is a sailboat and not designed for fishing, but you can fish off it. I suppose jigging will be what the gear will mostly be used for. Here is the cat he skippers.
    A government big enough to give you everything you need, is strong enough to take away everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,676 Moderator
    Boy that is cool cat nice work if you can get it.
    larrywitt
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    Sail boats are great for trolling.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • DRIFTER_016DRIFTER_016 Posts: 144 Officer
    Not a well seasoned saltwater guy like most on this board but I can give you a recommendation.
    I would have the reel loaded up with some 30# braid and pair it up with a matching Saltist STE66HF 6'6" heavy boat rod.
    He will be able to use it for trolling, jigging and bottom fishing although it is primarily designed as a trolling rod but is short enough to do the other duties as well.
    My fathers friend is a sailor and has done lots of trolling off his sailboat with some great results.
    So while your nephew is sailing between slots he can troll and he can jug or bottom fish when anchored.
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    the 30 pound braid on the reel is a great idea. My buddy doesn't like to lose fish so he fishes with 80 pound braid. I don't know if that size line would be appropriate for your reel.
    According to the specs it should hold 1036 yards of 80 spectra.

Originally I was going with 800 yards of 65 braid topped with 200 yards of 30 mono.

Thomas Jefferson
    That seems like an incredible amount of line to me.

Thomas Jefferson
  • BryanCBryanC Posts: 625 Officer
    That is a lot of line. That reel is pretty big/heavy for jigging, but would probably work well for trolling behind the sailboat. If he wants to fish 30, I would just load it up with 600+ yards of 30 lb mono. If you use braid backing, you can bump up to 40 or 50. E.G. 65 braid with 40 mono, or 80 braid with 50 mono on top. Pretty nice of you to buy that for your nephew. :hail
    JoelS wrote: »
    That seems like an incredible amount of line to me.

I agree. Lots of line!
  • DRIFTER_016DRIFTER_016 Posts: 144 Officer
    That does seem to be a ton of line.
    I couldn't find the specs on your reel so I used the STTLD30-2SPD and it should be able to handle about 500 yds or so of braid.
    Could probably go to 40# on that reel and be fine. ;)
    For your reel the suggestion of 65# braid with a top shot of 40# mono sounds like a good idea.

Thomas Jefferson
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    I would use mono, but that's just me. Some people would say braid dosen't belong offshore in most cases. Then again, some people don't say that.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • TobiwanTobiwan Posts: 118 Officer
    I would just pack it with 30lb mono. A little but of stretch for trolling is a good thing. It's also easier to deal with than braid.
    What strength top shot would I use over 100 # braid. Oh, here are specs on the reel.
    Gear Ratio - 4.1/1.7
    Ball Bearing - 7+1
    Weight - 1090g
    Max Drag - 14kg
    Line Capacity - 30lb/570m/640y

Thomas Jefferson
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,920 Admiral
    Tobiwan wrote: »
    I would just pack it with 30lb mono. A little but of stretch for trolling is a good thing. It's also easier to deal with than braid.

This, and you might want to go a little heavier on the line, sailboats can't easily follow fish or back down, hell just getting them to stop takes quite a while so there might be times you need to crank the drag down and horse the fish in.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Sail boats are great for trolling.

So are threads like these. Stop picking the low-hanging fruit, will ya?
    BryanC wrote: »
    That is a lot of line. That reel is pretty big/heavy for jigging, but would probably work well for trolling behind the sailboat. If he wants to fish 30, I would just load it up with 600+ yards of 30 lb mono. If you use braid backing, you can bump up to 40 or 50. E.G. 65 braid with 40 mono, or 80 braid with 50 mono on top. Pretty nice of you to buy that for your nephew. :hail

This. Very nice gestures on your part. Got me all misty-eyed. (Not really. But a great line from; "Scent of a Woman." I use it where I can.)

It is a trolling reel. Kinda big for Jigging. I would go with 400 yds of 40# BBG or Moi Moi, and 50 lb braid backing. That should give you 600-700 yds and plenty of muscle.

As far as rods go, any light boat rod in the 50# range should work fine. If Daiwa makes a companion rod with those specs, go for it.

That is one beautiful boat, BTW.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
    tankard wrote: »
    This, and you might want to go a little heavier on the line, sailboats can't easily follow fish or back down, hell just getting them to stop takes quite a while so there might be times you need to crank the drag down and horse the fish in.

:Agree
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    So are threads like these. Stop picking the low-hanging fruit, will ya?

This. Very nice gestures on your part. Got me all misty-eyed. (Not really. But a great line from; "Scent of a Woman." I use it where I can.)

It is a trolling reel. Kinda big for Jigging. I would go with 400 yds of 40# BBG or Moi Moi, and 50 lb braid backing. That should give you 600-700 yds and plenty of muscle.

As far as rods go, any light boat rod in the 50# range should work fine. If Daiwa makes a companion rod with those specs, go for it.

That is one beautiful boat, BTW.

This, x2

The entire post was verbatim what I had been thinking while reading through the posts.

GREAT UNCLE!!!!
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback