20 VS 30 pounds

what is the most versatile line poundage, 20 or 30 pound braid. Iam fishing for big snook, small tarpon, big reds and gator trout as well as some big largemouth bass on lake O.

Replies

• YaknMikeYaknMike Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    I'm new here, but I have a lot of experience fishing with bass and plenty on Okeechobee over the last several years. For Bass fishing alone, especially on the "O" I wouldn't go less than 30. Flippin' I use 50-65lb braid. On anything i'm casting like spinnerbaits and big swim baits I use 20lb. Crankbaits I use 12. I'm relatively limited in my saltwater experience, but i've been doing more of it and been using 20lb flurocarbon leaders tied to 30lb braid on spinning reels and it's been working pretty well for me. I know fishing the flats is a whole different beast and i'm trying to turbocharge my learning curve but I'd say go with 30lb and adjust your leader size in saltwater to fit your situation.
  • DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
    that's a big range you might want to consider two different rods
    Let's go fishing!
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    that's a big range you might want to consider two different rods

Follow this if you can, or get an extra spool for your reel and put 10lb braid on one for flats fishing and 30lb on the other for everything else... I use 10lb mono for just about everything..
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,401 Admiral
    Spinning or baitcaster ? If I had to pick, it would be 20 lb braid on the spinning gear. 50 lb on the baitcaster (not because you need 50 lb for LMB ,but it doesn't dig in the spool as bad).
    Just pointing out the obvious here , you'll need a lot more line capacity for tarpon , snook and reds than LMB.
  • LargeMouthBassAnglerLargeMouthBassAngler Posts: 136 Officer
    im one of those guys that likes to use 1 combo for everything, so thats why im asking whats more versatile. im thinking 30 but i want to get input from you guys.
  • GitchaPullGitchaPull Posts: 345 Officer
    20 will be fine and you'll be much happier being able to throw lighter lures when you need to. The reel its on probably doesn't even have 20lbs of drag. I use 40lb Ohero on all my tarpon rods. Biggest fish this past season was 160.
    im one of those guys that likes to use 1 combo for everything, so thats why im asking whats more versatile. im thinking 30 but i want to get input from you guys.

I used to be just like you coming from bass fishing then trying my luck in salt lol then I hooked into a tarpon. I realized that big fish need big rods. But if you really want to just have one rod then yeah get 30. Good luck pulling big fish out of structure with the same rod you bass fish with though.
    Let's go fishing!
  • heavychevy15heavychevy15 Posts: 838 Officer
    YaknMike wrote: »
    For Bass fishing alone, especially on the "O" I wouldn't go less than 30. Flippin' I use 50-65lb braid.

Overkill? That's some heavy line...

Bass fishermen are like that.....they do a lot of things overkill (I used to be like that lol)
    Let's go fishing!
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,922 Captain
    You try getting an 8 pound bass tangled up in some lilly pads and grass when you're flipping.. you aren't going to get it out with light line. It's common to use really high strength braided lines for flipping.

Anyway, I have had small/mid size snook snap 30 pound fluoro leaders pretty easily. I also wouldn't want to bass fish with 30 pound fluoro either. I agree with really needing two different setups. Sometimes you just need some heavier gear.
  • YaknMikeYaknMike Posts: 26 Greenhorn

Absolutely. Like posted above, fishing the super thick mats, and thick reeds/cattails you need it. Imagine pulling in a big bass 7-10lbs, with 40 lbs of hydrilla and it starts to make more sense. Bass guys definitely go overkill on flippin' setups but with good reason.
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    I understand fishing heavy line in the thick stuff... but what I don't understand is that most freshwater
    guys will jump right in and say use 50lb braid... and leave it at that :huh

and trust me I get it that it word of mouth and people tend to listen to what Joe bob is using because he
    caught a 10lb LMB on 50lb braid...

But that's not the norm> LMB imo really aren't great fighters that will pull you all over the place... I know
    guys that use 4 and 6lb test for LMB and they catch some hogs.. and I realize that isn't the norm too..

and again i'm not pointing fingers... I just find it strange that most freshwater guys will tell you to go HEAVY
    on braid for LMB...

Heck I use 50lb braid for tarpons.... and that's from the inlet and beaches :grin

LargeMouthBassAngler> Seeing that you also want to use this for LMB, i'm guessing your setup isn't
    that big? IMO a 2500/3000 size reel go with 20lb braid (this way you will have more line) if you are using
    a 4000 size reel then go with the 30lb test..

Because other then the snook/tarpon nothing else should whip the 20lb test ...and that's only if the snook is
    large and next to something he can get into... because even then the 30lb test isn't going to stop him..
    same goes with a tarpon... again all this will depend on your rod/reel

But the fun is in hooking up to them and having those few minute's of excitement while line flies off your reel..
    aa13.gif "A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • ryanpryanp Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    20lb is plenty. I use 15lb on 3k series and 20lb on 4k.
  • Paragon1Paragon1 Posts: 509 Officer
    Spiderwire ultra cast 30lb is my go-to line. Caught everything from 7lb bass in my backyard to 25lb Mahi on the same setup (Stradic 5k on a terez waxwing). Oh, and some 20lb+bonito.... Make sure you remember to set your drag with those... Got spooled down to the backing but still landed it. Still fun as hell.

I want max strength and castability with suppleness and minimal diameter. Ultracast has been my overall favorite, even if
    It absorbs color. If you wanna make it sporty, just use a lighter leader.
  • temptingtranquilitytemptingtranquility Posts: 265 Deckhand
    I use 20lb on my go to spinner which I use for trout, reds, snook, small tarpon, and whatever else I can hook into in the IRL. That being said, I've also used that tackle to catch 10lb mangroves, kingfish, and bonita offshore. It's all in how you work it. If you're gonna go for tarpon or snook with that size line you better be in open water and have some decent line capacity because that is the only way you'll get them IMO.