Looking for a big tarpon.

My last goal of the year is to catch a big tarpon.
Looking for someone who can help me achieve it and make a few $$ in the prosess.
Thanks
Nil magnum nisi bonum

Replies

• krashkrash Posts: 620 Officer
    Bouncer Smith
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • Poseidon10/31Poseidon10/31 Posts: 936 Officer
    krash wrote: »
    Bouncer Smith

lol, I think Mag is looking for a kayak guide, and I'm not sure if there's any yaks that can physically support Bouncer... He is a legend tho. If I were you, I'd net some nice big mullet and go drift them right around the mouth of the Port Everglades inlet/jetties. There is some good tarpon action around government cut, miami too. I would take advantage of the mullet run and either fish the inlet or even ICW bridges with mullet. This will be your best bet for that big **** you're looking for.

On a side note, make sure your tackle is up to the task. I have been consistently catching tarpon in 20-50 lb range on my inshore tackle with no issues. Last week I hooked a 100+ lb **** that towed me 2 miles and broke me off on a rock. Usually the smaller ones will tire in 10 min and not try to tow you, but watch out if you hook a biggin. Have an anchor or drift sock to slow you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    lol, I think Mag is looking for a kayak guide, and I'm not sure if there's any yaks that can physically support Bouncer... He is a legend tho. If I were you, I'd net some nice big mullet and go drift them right around the mouth of the Port Everglades inlet/jetties. There is some good tarpon action around government cut, miami too. I would take advantage of the mullet run and either fish the inlet or even ICW bridges with mullet. This will be your best bet for that big **** you're looking for.

On a side note, make sure your tackle is up to the task. I have been consistently catching tarpon in 20-50 lb range on my inshore tackle with no issues. Last week I hooked a 100+ lb **** that towed me 2 miles and broke me off on a rock. Usually the smaller ones will tire in 10 min and not try to tow you, but watch out if you hook a biggin. Have an anchor or drift sock to slow you.

Pretty sure the OP's post was directed at you... Hint, hint.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • krashkrash Posts: 620 Officer
    If you want to go it yourself, Bear Cut on Key Biscayne is also a good place to freeline a mullet.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • Mag1171Mag1171 Posts: 64 Deckhand
    @ pectoral pursuit, do you think so? Hahaha
    I know a good spot on the bay but don't seem to be producing right now. It takes a long time and patience to look for it yourself, for as much as I get out I rather go for the sure shot, even if it costs a little. I've been working around the port here in FLau, and I see tarpon every day but at different times depending on tide. I can go n get'em but it may take 2 trips. 1trip x 1poon = :^)
    Nil magnum nisi bonum
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    There is are precious few here that can consistently catch Tarpon. I'm beginning to think it takes a special gene.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao