mildew in center console

gsweavergsweaver Posts: 856 Officer
how do you guys clean inside the center console... mine has mildew
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2012 DUSKY 227XF SUZUKI 175

Replies

• Bird SeakingBird Seaking Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    gsweaver wrote: »
    how do you guys clean inside the center console... mine has mildew

Keep a cup of bleach in there when parked. As the bleach evaporates it will kill and remove any mold/mildew.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,395 Officer
    The fumes from the bleach will also eat your wiring and electronics. Don't do dat!!!!
  • tailchaser16tailchaser16 Posts: 655 Officer
    Mildew bathroom spray cleaner from supermarket, spray on, hose off. Leave console hatch open to air out after every trip.
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,390 Officer
    fish_stix wrote: »
    The fumes from the bleach will also eat your wiring and electronics. Don't do dat!!!!

Exactly!!@# Bleach has chlorine and chlorine is an oxidizer. Oxidizers will make rusting parts rust more. If metal is not rusting, it will start. It will cause oxidization on all metal and wiring. It will cause pitting on aluminum. Don't get me wrong, bleach is a good cleaner is some situations, but you got to be careful, rinse very well and ventilate the area.
  • dwyermwdwyermw Posts: 341 Deckhand
    buy no Scrub Soft Scrub, spray inside, hose off. You can get it at Walmart.
    2009 Skeeter ZX2250 current
    2007 Sea Hunt 220 Triton (sold)
    Skeeter ZX24V, 300 HP Yamaha (sold)
    1890 SE Action Craft, 175 HP Evinrude Ficht (sold)
    Hewes Tailfisher (sold)
    Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5
  • SwizzleSwizzle Posts: 534 Officer
    Just spray some uncut bleach (not on wires or electronics) in there and as aforementioned, it should keep the mildew away. You can repeat every few weeks. Just hit the corners in there and you should be fine.
  • kanakakanaka Posts: 343 Deckhand
    I ignore it. If a prospective buyer asks why its spotted black in there, I'll tell them it's spackle paint.
    It's unfinished glass in mine (mat).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • esteroestero Posts: 2,041 Captain
    If your boat is in the garage just use a small fan to blow air in that area.

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

• FWCSnookFWCSnook Posts: 886 Officer
    Clean it up with bleach, rinse well, then you can use damprid (pellets that absorb mousture) in the console. Or just leave the access open to ventilation.
  • doolittle3701doolittle3701 Posts: 162 Deckhand
    I was hoping that someone would bring this subject up because I wanted to ask a question. Why don't boat builders include some ventilation in center consoles. For example, there are some small round plastic ventilators(about 2 inch diameter) that are used to ventilate soffit boards in houses. Why not include a couple of those at the top(in the sides) of a center console? With the door in the console open, air should move upward in the console and out the top. A small fan could be used for a limited time to help circulate the air. This might be very useful if the console contained a couple of trolling motor batteries that are being charged by an on-board charger.
  • loose_cannonloose_cannon Posts: 592 Officer
    I was hoping that someone would bring this subject up because I wanted to ask a question. Why don't boat builders include some ventilation in center consoles. For example, there are some small round plastic ventilators(about 2 inch diameter) that are used to ventilate soffit boards in houses. Why not include a couple of those at the top(in the sides) of a center console? With the door in the console open, air should move upward in the console and out the top. A small fan could be used for a limited time to help circulate the air. This might be very useful if the console contained a couple of trolling motor batteries that are being charged by an on-board charger.

Boats are usually covered with a semi-permeable protective cover. Moisture condenses on the inside of the cover. The high humidity environment beneath the protective cover allows mildew to proliferate. A fan would only circulate the humid air. The cure is drier air.
    You would be better off with a 60 watt light bulb inside your console and plugged into your house.
    Member #813
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 882 Officer
    I run a dehumidifier where I keep my boats and open the hatches when not in use.
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,390 Officer

I added vents in the console to my old boat. I was mostly concerned about fumes from the batteries when charging. Never had a mildew problem, probably because of the vents. My new boat came with vents. I guess the manufacturer realized the benefit of ventilating the console.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,670 Captain
    I added vents as soon as took delivery of my boat from the dealer. If you decide to add vents.... place one vent higher than the other one and on opposite sides of the console. Hot air rises, so you will replace more air with the vents in this configuration.
    Giimoozaabi