Rod weight vs line weight in grains....also which model TFO

pjstevkopjstevko Posts: 513 Officer
here's my situation.....about 6 months ago a friend gave me a old old reddington 8/9 wt combo so I could try my hand at saltwater fly fishing but it needed new line. After talking to a fly guide friend of mine he suggested Rio Redfish wf8f line because it had a short heavy head which would load the rod fast without a lot of line off the reel to make short to medium length casts off my kayak.

I've already upgraded the reel to a Sage 2280 and put the Rio line on it and now I'm wanting to upgrade the rod but can't figure which TFO rod weight or model to get. Normally I would match the rod weight to the line weight but after investigating the line weight in grains I think I need to jump up to a 9 weight rod.

Here's the number break down:

Standard 8wt line 210 grains acceptable range 202-218
Standard 9wt line 240 grains acceptable range 230-250

Rio Redfish wf8f 290 grains!

Will a 9wt rod cast my line better than an 8wt????

The rods I'm looking at buying for that reel and line are TFO BVK or TiCrX

Which of those two rods would be best for my reel and line set-up?

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions

PJ

Replies

• catch itcatch it Posts: 136 Officer
    That line has most of the belly and weight VERY far forward. The "standards" you see in grains are for the first 30' of line. If the RIO line has a very short front taper, it would be expected to have a higher weight in the first 30'. All that aside... pick a rod first (by using it)....then find a line that you like. Start with the weight the rod is marketed for (notice "marketed" NOT designed)...go up one...go down one...see what you like. A good fly shop should be able to get you squared away without wasting a dime on something that doesn't work for you.
  • FreeFlyFreeFreeFlyFree Posts: 121 Officer
    7wt TiCr X is going to throw that line nicely, and if you want to get distance with a soft presentation try a bonefish line also 8wt. if you do that, your fast action TiCr X will be medium action...which I like personally...this TFO model is an utility rod...it can put the heat to the fish and throw the line out there, but you have to handle it like a man, no ultra light Alien technology going on here, these are rods that you never worry about breaking them.
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    wrote: »
    here's my situation.....about 6 months ago a friend gave me a old old reddington 8/9 wt combo so I could try my hand at saltwater fly fishing but it needed new line. After talking to a fly guide friend of mine he suggested Rio Redfish wf8f line because it had a short heavy head which would load the rod fast without a lot of line off the reel to make short to medium length casts off my kayak.

I've already upgraded the reel to a Sage 2280 and put the Rio line on it and now I'm wanting to upgrade the rod but can't figure which TFO rod weight or model to get. Normally I would match the rod weight to the line weight but after investigating the line weight in grains I think I need to jump up to a 9 weight rod.

Here's the number break down:

Standard 8wt line 210 grains acceptable range 202-218
    Standard 9wt line 240 grains acceptable range 230-250

Rio Redfish wf8f 290 grains!

Will a 9wt rod cast my line better than an 8wt????

The rods I'm looking at buying for that reel and line are TFO BVK or TiCrX

Which of those two rods would be best for my reel and line set-up?

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions

PJ

Everybody has a different casting stroke, what works for me, perhaps won't work for you, If your a new caster you won't know good from bad anyway.

Different fly lines can make a big difference in each rod, do you want distance, short fast casts or all around ?

It's hard to buy a bad fly rod nowadays, most are outstanding, however some break a lot easier and have a lot better components then others and therefore cost a lot less. Made overseas will cost a lot less then made in the USA for obvious reasons.

The best way I know of to pick the right line and rod combo is to cast the two together, that is again if you think you know what your looking for, and what feel you want.

When I fish for Tarpon, I have a certain rod and line that works perfect for me casting long distances, When in Mexico, I can use the same rod with a lot heavier line I don't care if my outfit is way over lined cause I'm only casting 40 feet not 80, get the picture?

Also remember all 8 wt rods aren't the same, some are just wimps, some are super studs and as stiff as a pool cue, however as mentioned above different lines can bring out the best and worst in all rods.

last thing to remember is your fishing friends and people on this web site can help you get into the ball park, but it's up to you to know the feel your looking for. with the right rod and line you can go from a golf cart to a corvette. good luck

Carl Blackledge
  • pjstevkopjstevko Posts: 513 Officer
    I don't need to be able to cast any great distance maybe 30-60 ft since I'm mostly targeting snook, reds and small-medium tarpon from my kayak.

I basically need to know if a 9wt TiCrX would be an ok set-up for the species mentioned above??
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    Yes, it would UNLESS the snook are large and you need to pull them away from some BIG structure which most of the times is the case. And depends what you consider a medium size tarpon is. I would say anything under 60ish or so you should be OK. That said, I think the TiCRX would be plenty stout enough for what you are after.

I have a 9wt TiCRX and use it when need a larger rod. But I much prefer throwing the 8 wt BVK. There is a BIG difference between the BVK and the Ticrx. To me the BVK is a joy to throw but very often does not have the backbone to stop a decent fish.

I fish for and catch the fish you mention.
  • pjstevkopjstevko Posts: 513 Officer
    I ended up getting a TFO Mangrove in 8wt after casting a few different models..... Thanks for all the advice everyone!