Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

How does the Panhandle make a living?

I know this has been discussed in the general section of the forum; but I'm not entertained with how someone in Coral Gables makes a living. I think it would be cool to see what kind of expertise we have here in the Panhandle section.

For starters, I'm in the construction business. Specifically custom cabinets, granite, and general remodeling. Was educated and began as a public accountant. Big career change; but well worth it!

So, how do you pay the bills?
Captain. Josh Anderson

Lite the Nite Charters

Guided flounder gigging and bow fishing in Port St. Joe, Panama City, Destin and Gulf Breeze

www.litethenitecharters.com

850-396-1816

Replies

• acarbacarb Posts: 2,357 Captain
    www.acarbinc.com
    My pops started this up back in 86 and i came on board around 88-89.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 2,124 Captain
    I managed a fertilizer Mfg. plant in South Florida for about 12 years. In 1989, I moved back to Eufaula, Alabama to go into a Consultant Forestry business with my youngest brother until I retired a couple of years ago
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • rollintiderollintide Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Air Force here, worked aircraft maintenance for about 5 years and now I am working search and rescue.
  • rollintiderollintide Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    janderson wrote: »
    I know this has been discussed in the general section of the forum; but I'm not entertained with how someone in Coral Gables makes a living. I think it would be cool to see what kind of expertise we have here in the Panhandle section.

For starters, I'm in the construction business. Specifically custom cabinets, granite, and general remodeling. Was educated and began as a public accountant. Big career change; but well worth it!

We are probably going to be doing some remodeling here soon, I may have to give you a shout.
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    Construction here as well
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • jandersonjanderson Posts: 256 Officer
    Klinger wrote: »
    I managed a fertilizer Mfg. plant in South Florida for about 12 years. In 1989, I moved back to Eufaula, Alabama to go into a Consultant Forestry business with my youngest brother until I retired a couple of years ago

My younger brother is in the forestry business. Works for a company called Asset Management Partners. He was up in Eufala a few weeks ago working.
    Captain. Josh Anderson

Lite the Nite Charters

Guided flounder gigging and bow fishing in Port St. Joe, Panama City, Destin and Gulf Breeze

850-396-1816
  • NOLE66NOLE66 Posts: 1,630 Officer
    janderson wrote: »

Wife and I are teachers. My extended family is in the farming business, soybeans, peanuts and cotton.

Major employers here is the tourist industry, agriculture, forestry, and Air Force base Eglin AFB.
  • JustinJustin Posts: 47 Deckhand
    The Inshore Guiding business!! I am blessed and truly living the dream. I still love what i do and can't imagine having a normal job now.
    Capt. Justin Leake Panama City Fly & Light-Tackle Fishing
  • jandersonjanderson Posts: 256 Officer
    Justin wrote: »
    The Inshore Guiding business!! I am blessed and truly living the dream. I still love what i do and can't imagine having a normal job now.

Awesome! I follow you guys on Facebook and always love the reports.
    Captain. Josh Anderson

Lite the Nite Charters

850-396-1816
  • wmflyfisherwmflyfisher Posts: 253 Deckhand
    Florida park service here at St. Andrews state park in pcb. Worked up in Georgia before this for a few years with the dept of natural resources as an officer.
  • tan mantan man Posts: 89 Deckhand
    My wife and I have needed construction expertise in MB several times and have had to call around. Good to know we have a few around here. I'm a business analyst in Birmingham - grew up outside Albany GA. Love to spend what free time I have on the boat - avid fly fisher, though i have a lot to learn still
  • RedhunterRedhunter Posts: 435 Deckhand
    Surveyor, here by education, trade and 30 yrs of OJT.
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    Same as Redhunter since 1985. Not much education but OTJ experience.

Pic is from late September in the Chipola River swamp south of Wewa, spent 2 weeks in that mess.
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 2,124 Captain
    Swamprat wrote: »

Same as Redhunter since 1985. Not much education but OTJ experience.

Pic is from late September in the Chipola River swamp south of Wewa, spent 2 weeks in that mess.

I fish that part of the Chipola on occasion. Great scenery, good bass & jack fishing in the fall, but tough surveying conditions, especially with the high water we had this summer :willynilly
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    Klinger.....you can clearly see the high water line in trees. We got lucky as most of the job was knee deep or less. Beautiful country around there for sure. Only fishing I have done in that area is at Dead Lake and North at Scotts Ferry. Good panfishing areas.

Saw a few of these big ol swamp lobsters back in there.
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • fishstickerfishsticker Posts: 500 Deckhand
    I work at the paper mill here in Panama City. RockTenn. It sits on the bay and its torture to look at on those nice days.
    "Those that give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither."
    Benjamin Franklin
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    Forester here too. I've spent the last 17 years on the procurement side buying and selling timber.

I'd love to find a good forestry job in the area.....just sayin'
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,210 Officer
    Engineering background here. Been working in the on-site wastewater (i.e., septic systems) business for a local county in Middle TN for the past 16 years. It's a "crappy" job.......LOL!

Livin' the Dream !
  • featherfanaticfeatherfanatic Posts: 512 Officer
    I drive a train.. engineer for CSX out of Manchester GA
  • FLCoyoteFLCoyote Posts: 271 Deckhand
    Procurement Consultant/Veteran Counselor, 41 years Government Logistics/Contracting Officer/Grants Officer
  • fishonfishon Posts: 984 Officer
    I started tennis at six and did college on scholarship, then played pro around the world, been at the same country club for 22years as the Tennis Director in my home town. One lucky dog!
    Tennis has been very very good to me.
    Triton 1870 Bay Sport, 115 merc. 4/stroke,
    Fish Shallow saltwater, lakes central Fl. And Lake Oconee Ga.
    Live in Lakeland