Skip to main content
Home Boating

Restore or Ignore?

fishinfruitionfishinfruition Posts: 312 Deckhand
Hello all,
It has been some time sense I have made a significant post of any kind (busy keeping up with my 4 and 6 year old), but I think you will find this to be a most interesting post.

My history with this boat has span over 10 or 11 year with the previous owner a friend and fishin buddy who was the second owner to the craft. He picked the boat up in a divorce sale from a female (he claimed). I was intrigued by the design and specs of the boat from the minute I walk up on the boat as it sat "ON THE WATER NOT IN THE WATER". Even My then "97" Punta Gorda built SilveRKinG Signature with 100hp Suzuki V4 2 stroke did not have the stance and on the water posture like this boat. I was shocked that this boat had more square footage, higher gunnels, Larger bait wells, 1/3 less hp with same speed and half the draft of my then $32,000+- new but 3 year old trick out boat and yes I know they are two different animals for the same use. No doubt I was in love and told my fishin buddy "Never sell this boat"!!!! and if you do "Call me first"!!!!!. Well the wife and I made two kids and me and fishin buddy lost touch with one another for about 6 years talking maybe yearly at best.

Well on the phone with a mutual friend of fishin buddy (another fishin buddy) I asked how buddy #1 was. He tells me he is picking up his new 22' bay boat in a few days. :hairraiser to say the least!!!!

Now what I do and do not know about this boat and the builder. Bill Knowles is best known for his 30' express wood built sport fish boats. Based in Stuart FL he attempted to build flats boats to subsidize his larger boat building but found that was not cost effective. He did manage to build 3 boats mine and another 16 footer and a 19 footer. In my opinion this makes my boat kind of special. One of one I think?
She is in ruff shape and has been fished really hard for about the last 10 years. The boat is going to need to be gone through from one end to the other. I don’t know if I can afford that rite now or if I have the time or patients. Take a look at the photos and let me know what you think.

Any other history or knowledge about my hull would be helpful. Thanks


IMG_20471.JPG

IMG_2052.JPG

IMG_20553.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

IMG_20741.JPG

IMG_2072.JPG

IMG_2064.JPG

IMG_2078.JPG
massive wells!!!!!!
IMG_2086.JPG

IMG_2079.JPG

IMG_2066.JPG
I may only have 300 plus post but I didn’t get any of them PLAYING (In my most sarcastic voice) COUNT!!!

Replies

  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    looks like it has a ton of potential. I vote for a project. :)

    CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • Capt M BrennanCapt M Brennan Posts: 488 Deckhand
    Definitely project, might have some historical significance, maybe a grant from or donation to IGFA. Jus tinkin.
    Captain Mike Brennan
  • fishinfruitionfishinfruition Posts: 312 Deckhand
    Definitely project, might have some historical significance, maybe a grant from or donation to IGFA. Jus tinkin.

    I kinda like that but she is not that old. Built in "94"......
    I may only have 300 plus post but I didn’t get any of them PLAYING (In my most sarcastic voice) COUNT!!!
  • Capt.EdCapt.Ed Posts: 368 Deckhand
    If you like the boat, thats all that matters. If the decks and floors are all good (as thats where all the money really is).. bring that thing to me and I will make her look new again for a heck of a lot less then any other place you will find. I just really enjoy re-building old boats and making them pretty again. I can send you tons of pics of the stuff I can do and have been at it for over 30 years :-)
    If you wish to do it yourself just send me a note and I will be more than happy to give you all the info you need.
    It will be a sad day when the last little mom and pop marina is gone to developers and only the rich will be able to enjoy the waters of Florida.
  • Capt M BrennanCapt M Brennan Posts: 488 Deckhand
    Capt.Ed wrote: »
    If you like the boat, thats all that matters. If the decks and floors are all good (as thats where all the money really is).. bring that thing to me and I will make her look new again for a heck of a lot less then any other place you will find. I just really enjoy re-building old boats and making them pretty again. I can send you tons of pics of the stuff I can do and have been at it for over 30 years :-)
    If you wish to do it yourself just send me a note and I will be more than happy to give you all the info you need.

    There ya go ...
    Captain Mike Brennan
  • LargeMouthBassAnglerLargeMouthBassAngler Posts: 136 Officer
    are you crazy!! this boat is ready for a project. its a very nice boat. a new boat will cost you double to buy than to restore it. absolutely a restore project.
  • BacklashBacklash Posts: 880 Officer
    Based on it's rarity and how much you like the hull I'd consider a restore on it.
    That being said, is the restore logical?
    What is the construction method of the boat? Is it a cold molded wood boat? Is it glass?
    What is the condition of the transom, the stringers, and bulkheads? Decks and soles are relatively easy compared to the structural replacements.
    If the hull is wood, have you sounded it out? Is there any plank replacement which needs to occur?
    If it's strictly cosmetics which need to be done, it should be a easy restore.

    I hope you don't get all of your advice from one guy through private messages or email... Forums like this are great for several folks to give you their ideas or methodology and you get to pick what'll work best for you based on your skill set and circumstances. And then that same knowledge becomes beneficial to others who read your thread. I feel the exchange of topical information should be here for all members to benefit from in some manner.

    I hope you take the (not so) old gal to the beauty saloon and dress her up nice. You've already got great "before" pics...
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    Backlash wrote: »
    Based on it's rarity and how much you like the hull I'd consider a restore on it.
    That being said, is the restore logical?
    What is the construction method of the boat? Is it a cold molded wood boat? Is it glass?
    What is the condition of the transom, the stringers, and bulkheads? Decks and soles are relatively easy compared to the structural replacements.
    If the hull is wood, have you sounded it out? Is there any plank replacement which needs to occur?
    If it's strictly cosmetics which need to be done, it should be a easy restore.

    I hope you don't get all of your advice from one guy through private messages or email... Forums like this are great for several folks to give you their ideas or methodology and you get to pick what'll work best for you based on your skill set and circumstances. And then that same knowledge becomes beneficial to others who read your thread. I feel the exchange of topical information should be here for all members to benefit from in some manner.

    I hope you take the (not so) old gal to the beauty saloon and dress her up nice. You've already got great "before" pics...

    Its never logical, You just have to ask yourself are you the kind of guy who can say "I'm itching now but just wait". LOL
    One of the benefits of doing a full restore, that's rarely mentioned is that you become part of the history of the boat.
    Rare sleds like yours can become the willey's/Challengers of tomorrow.
    But as Backlash says, Inspect and know what your getting into.

    CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • fishinfruitionfishinfruition Posts: 312 Deckhand
    Fished her for a few days now and wow does it run skinny!!!! I think I am going to look into removing the hardware and letting someone else fill, sand, prime and paint her. I bought a Sheaffer 239V from Ben Sheaffer in "05". I may start with him and see what it costs.

    With that she has only one little soft spot near the bow. The floors, gunnels and transom are hard as a rock. The boat hits a fairly good chop with a solid "THUG THUG" I have been in my share of rattle traps. This boat is solid!!! Well poling it has a crazy hull slap from the spray rail. The more I think about it......remove everything, motor, steering, electrical, plumbing and tackle i.e. cleats and rails. Paint and reinstall. Anyone have experience with that? I worry things may not go back the same though, will they.
    I may only have 300 plus post but I didn’t get any of them PLAYING (In my most sarcastic voice) COUNT!!!
  • Cut runnerCut runner Posts: 948 Officer
    That's a very cool, rare boat. My father was very good friends with Mr Knowle
  • fishinfruitionfishinfruition Posts: 312 Deckhand
    Cut runner wrote: »
    That's a very cool, rare boat. My father was very good friends with Mr Knowle

    Please do tell more!!!! Don't leave me hangin........

    You say was....Your Father or Mr. Knowle is no longer with us?
    I may only have 300 plus post but I didn’t get any of them PLAYING (In my most sarcastic voice) COUNT!!!
  • Capt.EdCapt.Ed Posts: 368 Deckhand
    The project is not all that hard, I do this all the time. You can do it yourself and have more of a love for her when you are finished. I leave a peice of my sole with every boat I complete, they just seem to become a part of me as I really enjoy restoring them to new again.
    It will be a sad day when the last little mom and pop marina is gone to developers and only the rich will be able to enjoy the waters of Florida.
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,055 Officer
    I bought a Sheaffer 239V from Ben Sheaffer in "05". I may start with him and see what it costs.

    I'm sure Ben and his crew would do a great job....might increase the value too when completed! Good luck.
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 345 Deckhand
    You may want to checkout Capt Ed that responded to you on this thread. I don't know him but have heard good things about him.
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 882 Officer
    you should pass it up and I'll come and get it out of your yard :crossed
  • fishinfruitionfishinfruition Posts: 312 Deckhand
    finbully wrote: »
    you should pass it up and I'll come and get it out of your yard :crossed
    Well have been offered 9k for the boat..........:hairraiser..............:banana by a guy that has seen it in the yard.
    I may only have 300 plus post but I didn’t get any of them PLAYING (In my most sarcastic voice) COUNT!!!
  • captnick50captnick50 Posts: 121 Officer
    My old skiff looked alot like that skiff, it was listed as custom on the title i dont know if it was one of those but it looks pretty close. mine dident have a fiberglass cap though. heres some before and after pics.

    IMAG0162_zps75fc214e.jpg

    IMAG0161_zps3d96b415.jpg

    DSCN0132.jpg

    skiff4_zps739f2c2f.jpg

    DSCN0133.jpg

    DSCN0135.jpg
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    nice looking lines on both boats.. great fishing boats take less hp by far.
  • fishinfruitionfishinfruition Posts: 312 Deckhand
    I'm having to much fun fishin the boat to take it apart!!!!
    I may only have 300 plus post but I didn’t get any of them PLAYING (In my most sarcastic voice) COUNT!!!
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Digital Now Included!

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

Preview This Month's Issue

Buy Digital Single Issues

Don't miss an issue.
Buy single digital issue for your phone or tablet.

Buy Single Digital Issue on the Florida Sportsman App

Other Magazines

See All Other Magazines

Special Interest Magazines

See All Special Interest Magazines

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Florida Sportsman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement

Phone Icon

Get Digital Access.

All Florida Sportsman subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets.

To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine.

Get Digital Access

Not a Subscriber?
Subscribe Now