fillet knives

drod13drod13 Posts: 259 Officer
I need a new fillet knife. The Gerber I have doesn't really hold a good edge. Looking to get some opinions on your best picks. thanks all!
2013 OK Trident 13/2015 Hobie Outback :fishing jig.gif

Replies

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Most everyone I talk to & most everything I read say it's all about knowing how to put & maintain a good edge... A decent knife in the hands of a guy who knows how to keep it sharp is probably better than the best knife in my hands after ~1/2 dozen fish :(
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • pepipepi Posts: 71 Greenhorn
  • drod13drod13 Posts: 259 Officer
    Most everyone I talk to & most everything I read say it's all about knowing how to put & maintain a good edge... A decent knife in the hands of a guy who knows how to keep it sharp is probably better than the best knife in my hands after ~1/2 dozen fish :(
    I agree about maintaining a good edge 100%. I just need to start off with a descent knife so my inexperience will not make it dull so quick....lol Thanks!
    Pepi, I'll look into the Dexter's. I had a Victorinox(I think that's what it was called) my mother borrowed it along time ago and I never got it back...lol. Thanks...
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(Posts: 666 Officer
    Do a search on this, there is already a thread out there that is about 4 pages long. I just bought two new fillet knives and a chefs choice electric sharpener....wish I just would have bought the sharper to begin with, but now I have three sharp fillet knives and one heck of a sharp bait knife!
  • FLCoyoteFLCoyote Posts: 271 Deckhand
    West Marine occassionally has a sale on a fish cleaning kit made of german steel. Its got ergonomic rubber grip knife handles and comes with a pretty good hand sharpener. The kit contains a four inch knife with a skinning hook, a six inch and eight inch fillet knifes and a 10 inch saw blade. I've been cleaning fish my entire life including in the back room of a fish house for six months and in my opinion this is the best set of cleaning equipment that I've seen. The blades are rigid and hold an edge, the handles are soft and user friendly and nothing is better for beheading or steaking a fish than the saw blade. I'm not a big fan of West or their prices, but this kit goes on sale once in a while for $59 and it comes in a folding fabric pouch with slots for the knives and velcro's shut. Only problem I've got with this kit is that its very popular with my fishing buddies and I have to keep track of it to make sure of who's using it now!
    I'm not affiliated with West Marine in any way just think this is the best fish cleaning kit I've come across. I did buy a $10 dry box to keep it in and dumped the pouch after a couple of years.

FLCoyote
  • YaksquatchYaksquatch Posts: 499 Officer
    Got to a marina in the afternoon sometime and look at what guides, deckhands, and commercial fishermen are using. Nearly ALL of them will be using Dexter knives and will have their own large sharpening stones to touch them up every few fish. Don't waste money on any fancy sharpeners, just get an old fashioned stone with a course and fine side.

Good luck!
    Alex
    Thanks all...GREAT ADVICE!
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 858 Officer
    DexterRussel. They hold a decent edge, will not rust and a reasonable price. It's all we ever used when I was in the charter business. I still have three of those knives in my kitchen today and are used on a daily basis. The big serrated, the long fillet (great for slicing London Broil very thin) and the 8" boning knife. Get the white Sani-Safe. PLUS they are made in the U.S.A!
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,665 Captain
    i keep most of my gear on the boat in a tackle center. how do you keep the knives from rusting on board? thanks

• krashkrash Posts: 660 Officer
    Dexter Russel is top of the line for every day use.

I recently purchased a couple BubbaBlades and they are great knives.. 9" tapered Flex is great for filet work, 9" Stiffe is great for steaking work. Yes I know "BubbaBlade" sounds like bs but it is a pretty good product, mine is about 1.5 years old and has no rust, but it is always rinsed well after use. The handle is well designed so as not to slip at inopportune times especially when wet with fish slime.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish