quantum smoke inshore verses Shimano CI 4

anejo22anejo22 Posts: 1,511 Officer
Gonna get one or the other to go on a t allen i have used a ci4 and like it,havnt touched a smoke yet but have a friend that loves his.what say you?

Replies

• The DaveThe Dave Posts: 486 Deckhand
    I \have the Ci4 and like it, but am also a fan of Quantum and am interested to hear some reviews on the Smoke. I have heard some folks gripe about Shimano discontinuing parts every few years, don't know if this is an issue with Quantum.
    I'll think of something witty to put here.....
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,020 Officer
    I have a Ci4 3000 filled with 10 lb. Sufix 832 braid on a 7'2", MH, T. Allen Wave rod. It's an amazingly light and sensitive outfit but can put quite a bit of pressure on a fish when necessary. I think a Smoke would work just as well on this rod.
  • anejo22anejo22 Posts: 1,511 Officer
    Ive been stuck on shimano for about 15 years ,i dIo have a cabo 40 ive been using for reds the last two years no problems,but i love my stradics and symetrys
  • LargeMouthBassAnglerLargeMouthBassAngler Posts: 136 Officer
    cabo all the way, not even competition.
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,393 Officer
    I've heard from friends that work in tackle shops that the Smoke frequently comes back with durability issues pertaining to the reel arm/handle.
  • JSRJSR Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    I also have the 3000 Ci4 paired with a TFO 7" ML and 10# Power Pro Super Slick. Very light and very strong. 10 pounds of drag and no corrosion issues. The Smoke is nice but i have landed big Snook with the Shimano.
  • mjhproductionsmjhproductions Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    I would defiantly go with Ci4, I have had one(2500) from the moment they came out and if you pair it with a medium lite to medium rod with 10lb braid you will love it. I have not fished with the smoke but I have fished with the EXO spinning reel and I could not get use to the feel of the handle and its not a smooth as the Ci4. They have the Ci4+ now with X-ship so it has been improved when reeling under pressure. Good luck and tight lines.
    Tried to check out the smoke inshore and bass pro was out of them? They had the fresh water ones but no inshore
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,923 Captain
    go with the shimano. all around better reel. if you get the ci4+, then you have the best of the best out there right now. smoother than the ci4 because of the x ship. bit lighter, better drag clicker. great reel.
  • anejo22 wrote: »
    Ive been stuck on shimano for about 15 years ,i dIo have a cabo 40 ive been using for reds the last two years no problems,but i love my stradics and symetrys

try it a you will love it, i know people that swears by it, thats the only reel they'll ever get. the quality is off the roof, some people say they are not good until i got one, fishing is believing.
  • FLDXTFLDXT Posts: 2,490 Captain
    CI4 all the way. I always associate Quantum will Bill Dance, do I need to say more?
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    I've used a Smoke 30 (essentially the same as the inshore model) for the last year and it's held up good. I'm very hard on my reels so I'm surprised this one held up. It's been dunked about every trip when wading, dropped in the sand and banged around when running the boat in nasty stuff. I keep it well maintained after wading trips and not a thing inside, bearings included show any corrosion. It's just as smooth as it was on day 1 which is also a surprise, most of my reels start getting sloppy after a year of abuse. Quantum's drags are phenomenal, I would wager better than Shimano's sub Stella drag. I have zero complaints about it.

I've never used a CI4 but I plan on getting a CI4+ in December to replace this Smoke. It's .4 oz lighter than the Exo and picks up an extra 3" of line over the Exo (size 30's). That's the only reason, and I want to try Shimano since everyone insists they are the best, we shall see...
  • MH79MH79 Posts: 496 Deckhand
    I've never used a Quantum smoke, but I handled a floor model at ****'s and didn't care for the handle. I went with a 3000 ci4. It's incredibly light and casts light jigheads great with 10lb braid. Can't say anything bad about it.
  • ThatJiggerGuyThatJiggerGuy Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    If u cant tell yet go with the new CI4+, i have a CI4 3k outfittted just like everyone on here and its the best/lightest/most dependeble reel behind my van staal.
    I used a smoke inshore 4000 this weekend and today caught 5 or so bass on it with a star seagis,its a tight feeling reel ,real smooth fairly light and the braid comes off nice,i will however be getting the ci4+ 4000 because its like warm butter,ive got nothing bad to say about the inshore smoke,i hope to get a shot at a big jack or snook on it those 3 to 4 lb bass were no match
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    Just a follow up on the CI4+ vs Smoke...

The CI4+ feels and handles fish considerably smoother than the Smoke I have. It's a bit smaller reel in the same 3000 class as well.

I took it apart and with the exception of the drag system (**** is Shimano thinking, more later) the CI4+ so far is a superior product. I could almost argue that the Smoke's aluminum frame is better, but it is heavier. I haven't noticed the frame on the CI4+ flexing though so no complaints there.

The drag on the other hand is felt washers which is unacceptable to me. I ordered some carbontex washers to replace the felt with, so with that $8 upgrade the drag is now on par with Quantum's.
    CI4 all day! Awesome reel! The new CI4 has x-ship too I believe. I personally don't like the handle on the smoke either. Check out the Saros FA too... I think it's a **** good reel in it's own right.
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    Smoke! :thumbsup
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,391 Admiral
    Some people have good luck with quantum , I am not one of them.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,378 Moderator
    Daiwa Ballistic 3000. 8.6 oz, 35" per crank and holds 240 yds of 8#, To get this line capacity out of the Shimano, you need to go to the 4000, which weighs 9 oz and you gain only 2" per crank. If you drop down to the 3000 Shimano, you get the same inches per crank and save 1.6 oz (7 oz), but only get 170 yds of 8#
  • twirptwirp Posts: 1,128 Officer
    If you need more than 170 yds. on a 3000, you were'nt going to turn that fish anyhow, and your rod probably wasn't going to either. Considering the average cast is within 30 yds. or so....Just my opinion though. No offense meant at all, Jack.

As for the felt washer system on the Shimano's drag, I have caught thousands upon thousands of big shouldered (mostly slot, some over) redfish and have yet to replace the drag system on one of them. Kind of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing if you ask me. Besides that, not like water gets in there to muck it all up anyhow. With that being said, I'm having Rick clean and service my reels and I requested he upgrade the drag to Carbontex, just because after 8-10 years of fishing and living on the boat, it's probably time for my reels to get something new.
    Pathfinder-Logo-300x103.jpg
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,848 Captain
    Anyone use the Penn conflit 4000??
    Im considering one of them, or another battle or stradic
    sk018 wrote: »
    Anyone use the Penn conflit 4000??
    Im considering one of them, or another battle or stradic

I don't think the conflict has been released yet until next year...I could be wrong. If they've fixed the line lay and paint issue as they claim they have, could be a good reel.
    I held a conflict at the fs convention pretty neat looking reel ,smooth
    we got some conflicts in stock.
    IMO they arent that good.
    unless the fixed the line lay, id rather get a battle. save a little money, and they are only slightly heavier than the conflict.
    cutting all them holes in the reel cant be a good thing imo. same with the quantums. cant be good in salt water.

but hey, its something new with new features. i just think penn wasted their time with this.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,391 Admiral
    supposedly the conflict has improved line lay.
    johnD wrote: »
    supposedly the conflict has improved line lay.

was thinking it might. the line roller sits higher on the rotor than the battle, makes it more of a reach to grab the line, i dont like that.
    but i figured that might be an "improvement"

the 4000 only weighs .2 oz less than the battle. youd think with all them holes in everything it would be MUCH lighter, but its not.
    i guess if the line lay is better, it would be better than a battle in 4000 size up.
  • ultraplayer26ultraplayer26 Posts: 814 Officer
    I have the smoke and I've been beating it to hell since I got it.Still running.The milled holes are actually a great idea when it comes to cleaning all the salt residue has where to escape compared to your traditional spools.Like always the drag is amazing just like any other Quantum.And the handle seems weird looking but it actually feels a bit better on the wrists.The ci4+ is also great, but they both are around the same price range.And to buy a ci4+ that looks almost exactly to the old ci4 I rather go with something newer.
  • WonderWonder Posts: 75 Deckhand
    I would defiantly go with Ci4, I have had one(2500) from the moment they came out and if you pair it with a medium lite to medium rod with 10lb braid you will love it. I have not fished with the smoke but I have fished with the EXO spinning reel and I could not get use to the feel of the handle and its not a smooth as the Ci4. They have the Ci4+ now with X-ship so it has been improved when reeling under pressure. Good luck and tight lines.

Shimano all the way ! i have my ci4 2500 paired with a Star seagis 7ft. med 8-17lbs full cork grip lite as a feather and pulls big snook. Perfect for artis.
  • perlman1234perlman1234 Posts: 1,449 Officer
    johnD wrote: »
    Some people have good luck with quantum , I am not one of them.

This! Capeangler and I could argue this all day! Shimano is just a better product... period.