Where to fish near OBB?

thechad101thechad101 Posts: 23 Greenhorn
Hi guys, new to the S.FLA area and heading to West End in early November. Staying at OBB and was wondering where the best areas/depths are to trolling for HOO and YFT?

Also, any snapper areas would be very much greatly ppreciated. Not looking for any magic numbers just a general area/depth.

Thanks,
CD

Replies

• FWCSnookFWCSnook Posts: 886 Officer
    For YFT, you're going to be pretty much out of luck in November. Long gone. Wahoo, however, will (should), be prevalent. I typically put my lines in just north of West End, and just troll north until I find them. Sometimes they are close, ther times you'll go all the way to Memory before a bite. There have been studs caught right out front of BMC, as well, so you don't always have to go 20-30 miles. Just zig-zag the edge until the reels start to sing.
    As far as snappers go, are you looking for shallow or deep? For yellowtails, anywhere north of memory is a sure bet. Just hang the hook or drift if the wind is light and chum. They will come up to the boat. I have done better on muttons in shallower, around deeper seagrass areas. Conch is a great bait for muttons.
    For deep dropping, note any bottom structure you see while wahoo trolling between 500 and 1000 ft. Ledges, rockpiles, and outcroppings should show up, and all are worth expolring. It's always exciting because you never know what you will bring up. There is a nice spot out front of BMC that has produced well for me in the past. Just off the piers of Freeport is a good place as well.
    Be sure to have fun!
  • Blue ZoneBlue Zone Posts: 414 Officer
    thechad101 wrote: »
    Hi guys, new to the S.FLA area and heading to West End in early November. Staying at OBB and was wondering where the best areas/depths are to trolling for HOO and YFT?

Also, any snapper areas would be very much greatly ppreciated. Not looking for any magic numbers just a general area/depth.

Thanks,
    CD

YTF are indeed scarce, but not impossible. BFT hold year-round just harder to find, but keep an eye out for them. You didn't mention mahi. I've caught a nice mahi and a nice 'hoo within 30 minutes and 500 yards of each other off Petersons Cay; not sure what the mahi was doing in that close. All three in the same day should go on your to-might-do list.

If things are slow off WE and you have the fuel, try 'hoo trolling East. If it's still slow, head South to the canyons.

In any event, have a great time.
  • oldtimeroldtimer Posts: 508 Officer
    For deep dropping, note any bottom structure you see while wahoo trolling between 500 and 1000 ft. Ledges, rockpiles, and outcroppings should show up, and all are worth expolring. It's always exciting because you never know what you will bring up. There is a nice spot out front of BMC that has produced well for me in the past.
    Be sure to have fun![/QUOTE]

Second the out front of Blue Marlin Cove for a starter spot ( 600 + feet ) Close to OBB and a chance to get a few without going too far.

Good luck
  • Capt KurtCapt Kurt Posts: 355 Deckhand
    FWCSnook wrote: »
    For YFT, you're going to be pretty much out of luck in November. Long gone. Wahoo, however, will (should), be prevalent. I typically put my lines in just north of West End, and just troll north until I find them. Sometimes they are close, ther times you'll go all the way to Memory before a bite. There have been studs caught right out front of BMC, as well, so you don't always have to go 20-30 miles. Just zig-zag the edge until the reels start to sing.
    As far as snappers go, are you looking for shallow or deep? For yellowtails, anywhere north of memory is a sure bet. Just hang the hook or drift if the wind is light and chum. They will come up to the boat. I have done better on muttons in shallower, around deeper seagrass areas. Conch is a great bait for muttons.
    For deep dropping, note any bottom structure you see while wahoo trolling between 500 and 1000 ft. Ledges, rockpiles, and outcroppings should show up, and all are worth expolring. It's always exciting because you never know what you will bring up. There is a nice spot out front of BMC that has produced well for me in the past. Just off the piers of Freeport is a good place as well.
    Be sure to have fun!

agree with FWCSnook, but dd from 400 - 1200..
    visit Pure Pilates in Fort Lauderdale - http://www.pure-pilates.net
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 821 Officer
    go off the pines...