Cold Fronts and the cruise ship

Replies

• 2amigo2amigo Posts: 4,283 Captain
    Just because a boat is "made" for a certain sea doesn't mean it's not going to rock and roll like hell during rough weather, esp. beam to
  • BiminiwallBiminiwall Posts: 79 Deckhand
    This boat was made as a transportation boat to ferry cars to islands in a 2 foot chop. It was NOT built to handle 20 foot rollers and 6 foot seas at 4 seconds during the Gulf Stream winter months.

This is just another failed logistics attempt from a company who's never even set foot in the Bahamas before all of this. The cancellation of the cruise just proves what others here were saying.
  • SapingasKangasSapingasKangas Posts: 279 Officer
    Sap, Registered Professional Engineer since 1982 here. Former assistant director of Engineering for Port Everglades Authority, Marine structures experience since Graduate School in OCEAN ENGINEERING, have designed marine and waterfront structure and built them since 1986.

I have a tiny bit of knowledge to go with the Santeria.......:wink

Such a modest man, no mention of your Doctorate in Handwringing and Ill-Wishing....
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    any of us that have been to Bimini on 'rough days' have seen freighters making white water on their bow it is a good thing they don't pound any ships or people no matter who owns them. Have they been working on the airport or planing any more shuttle / ferry landings? I have not been to Bimini in a while .. the ads on the radio are good for the boat though. do they have any other gambling that we don't have here?

the Cat that runs to the Bahamas is pretty fast also I don't see them being able to push that one in the straights of Florida either..
  • Such a modest man, no mention of your Doctorate in Handwringing and Ill-Wishing....

At least I don't hide behind a sapingass to hide my identity.......
    At least I don't hide behind a sapingass to hide my identity.......

And your surname is really @.38 Special.....boy you are special. Is that listed in the phone book alphabetically or numerically ?
  • And your surname is really @.38 Special.....boy you are special. Is that listed in the phone book alphabetically or numerically ?

Boat name there ding ****! Ask at any dock in Bimini and they will know who you are referring to .......Michael, Patrick, JR, Robby........

(note to self, don't argue with 12 year olds...)
    Boat name there ding ****! Ask at any dock in Bimini and they will know who you are referring to .......Michael, Patrick, JR, Robby........

(note to self, don't argue with 12 year olds...)

Boat name there SAPINGO.....Lucy,Ricky,Ethel,Fred.
    (note to me, argue with 12 year olds)
  • Al BundyAl Bundy Posts: 239 Deckhand
    So the company that promises tourists year round providing untold riches for all of Bimini cancels after the first cold front comes through?
  • CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,774 Captain
    Again... The big boat wont even feel our chop. Wall, you continually come up with caca poo poo that aint right about it. No I don't like this project but the boat is pretty well state of the art. I'm big on boat designs from dinghy to aircraft carriers and have a "thing" for ships of all kinds. Why they cancelled most likely has zero to do with crossing conditions. More likely it would be the problems we have brought forward on this board. A bad sea and no way they can possibly transfer to those tenders they have right now. That is going to be a huge thorn in their scupper moving forward and as noted, I think they have underestimated the power of the sea and what stresses it will put on that pier... Tons and tons of water slamming it every few seconds for long term and I don't care if they build it from the best materials out there I can't see it standing up to it for long...
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 824 Officer
    has anyone gave thought that the man has to waste a few million or more in order not to pay many millions in taxes..........it's done every day..
    There is that too.... Common practice... Called loss leader...
  • Blue ZoneBlue Zone Posts: 414 Officer
    has anyone gave thought that the man has to waste a few million or more in order not to pay many millions in taxes..........it's done every day..

Good point, except for the fact that there are no income taxes in the Bahamas.
    just remember 1/2 the fun is getting there.. :) .. and 'not' being crushed by a tender taking you to shore.. 2 planes, 3 flights a day, one in Lauderdale and 1 in Miami and let the travel people deal with outside airlines would make winter and spring time work. is anyone working on the airport? sewer stuff?
    Blue Zone wrote: »
    Good point, except for the fact that there are no income taxes in the Bahamas.

I am sure the Genting Group is quite educated with tax laws worldwide...
  • Blue ZoneBlue Zone Posts: 414 Officer
    I am sure the Genting Group is quite educated with tax laws worldwide...

So why would you bring it up at all? There is no possible tax dodge here, it's just plain stupidity at play. I don't really get the point of your previous post.

From every aspect, from the start to the point to where it is now this whole project has been plagued with ineptitude which defies comprehension.
  • pescador67pescador67 Posts: 66 Deckhand
    Compleat wrote: »
    There is that too.... Common practice... Called loss leader...

You might want to look up the term "loss leader."

I cannot fathom what they are up to. It is inconceivable to me that this place becomes successful.
    truth of the matter is 'time' and 'mother nature' are the silent partners against anything Genting , Cappo, distant homeowners or any local person has to deal with. you can see this year alone what this years storms in Asia did in damage to even inshore cities like Hong Kong.. I am sure Genting knows of this far more than most. anyone in Bimini deals with this fact of weather. even on a good day the salt and heat takes a toll on paint,, etc.. When living along the coast in Florida to living on a waterway as we do we all know hurricanes take out so much property just like the rod and gun club that was on north Bimini across from the sand bar on the hill. hurricane sandy was far off to the east and tore up our beaches the Bimini beaches took a huge loss of sand also.. no matter which side your on now it is going down and it will be interesting to see how long or how it goes. if you do like Bimini though there are some great deals on the trip I hope they keep a good lower price fare and shipping discount for the locals.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,130 AG
    My wife's Miami office is on the 28th floor that looks right down on Govt Cut and she's seen the red ship many times. When I told her about their 9am daily departure, she laughed! When I asked why, she said that it departs at different times every day that she's seen it! :willynilly
    Gary M wrote: »
    My wife's Miami office is on the 28th floor that looks right down on Govt Cut and she's seen the red ship many times. When I told her about their 9am daily departure, she laughed! When I asked why, she said that it departs at different times every day that she's seen it! :willynilly

I hear they are closing MIA due to a few arrival and departure delays. There is always Greyhound I guess.
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 4,283 Captain
    I hear they are closing MIA due to a few arrival and departure delays. There is always Greyhound I guess.

Little bit of a difference between thousands of planes weekly with a few delays than ONE ship that can't be timely once during the week
    Blue Zone wrote: »
    So why would you bring it up at all? There is no possible tax dodge here, it's just plain stupidity at play. I don't really get the point of your previous post.

From every aspect, from the start to the point to where it is now this whole project has been plagued with ineptitude which defies comprehension.

it is a perfectly legal movement of funds.... you keep making investments (good or bad) to lower the amount you pay taxes on........what better place to make a bad investment than the Bahamas...

unfortunately , I myself,have never needed to use this "tax dodge''
    Pescador... This could well be a loss leader... I used the ploy with some of the lines of lures I used to sell. Sold em at a loss to get them in the door and hooked on my product. Slowly I used the bait and switch to swing them to more profitable product. It was a slow process not an overnight thing... They could be baiting and building a loyal clientele at a loss to work into various upgrades. In the mean time they could take a tax advantage where they do pay taxes(?)(Not necessarily the Bahamas which is only a service point). I don't have that info so I can't say for sure..
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,130 AG
    I still want to know where they will get enough conch, lobster, grouper and yellowtail to feed 1,000+ people a day when this thing really hits its stride? Every day....... day after day...... every day. :huh
    Gary M wrote: »
    I still want to know where they will get enough conch, lobster, grouper and yellowtail to feed 1,000+ people a day when this thing really hits its stride? Every day....... day after day...... every day. :huh

http://sysco.com/campaign/flseafood/south-florida-sysco-products.html?cc_k=food%20wholesalers&cc_c=South+Florida+-+General+-+Search&cc_a=24422586394&cc_p=c&gclid=CMyGie-tuLoCFStp7AodgXYAaQ
  • pescador67pescador67 Posts: 66 Deckhand
    Pescador... This could well be a loss leader... I used the ploy with some of the lines of lures I used to sell. Sold em at a loss to get them in the door and hooked on my product. Slowly I used the bait and switch to swing them to more profitable product. It was a slow process not an overnight thing... They could be baiting and building a loyal clientele at a loss to work into various upgrades. In the mean time they could take a tax advantage where they do pay taxes(?)(Not necessarily the Bahamas which is only a service point). I don't have that info so I can't say for sure..

Glad you looked it up.
    Didn't have to look up diddly... I was doing it before it was popular in mid to late 90's... In fact it out right ticked my competition off to sell at a loss and gain their customers... :)
    Didn't have to look up diddly... I was doing it before it was popular in mid to late 90's... In fact it out right ticked my competition off to sell at a loss and gain their customers... :)
  • Heck I'm losing money on the unit, but I'll make it up in volume!!!:rotflmao