Trident 13 vs. 15 Angler Kayak

I'm interested in buying either a Ocean Trident angler 13 or 15 kayak. I'm 6'4" and 200lbs. I will be using the kayak for saltwater offshore and nearshore fishing. For those of you with the experience and own either of the kayaks, what model would fit me best? I'm unable to test the two different yaks so your input will be appreciated.

Replies

• PickledvolvoPickledvolvo Posts: 189 Officer
    I have not been in the 15ft, but I learned offshore paddling in the 13. It was great in the chop and swells. I did not care much for the seat or the overall fit and finish, ie quality. My current offshore standard kayak is a Manta Ray 14.5 from Native Watercraft. Much better seat, for me, and higher quality-lifetime warranty.The Tarpon from Wilderness Systems is a stout choice as well. However, I prefer the extra rock of the MR for offshore use.
    "I throw empty beer cans at the TV when I'm watching the news.
    I hate republicans, I hate democrats, I hate liberals too!"
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    I've owned the ocean trident ultra 4.7(15 ft) and the 4.3 (13 ft) I strictly fish offshore, I really prefer the 13. Less weight and handles great.
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    Although I'm 100% Mirage Drive Hobie, and would have a hard time going back to a pure paddle kayak....

I have owned several Ocean Kayak's and was very happy with the quality & handling of the boats.
    In the size your considering, I have owned the Prowler 13 (2), Trident 13 & Ultra 4.7. I have also spent some time on the original Prowler 15 & Trident 15.

If I were to pick the best one of the group, it would have to be the Trident 13 due to ease of paddle, transport, stability and rigging options. I agree that all the OK seats are ebay fodder as I always upgraded to a Surf to Summit GTS Expedition seat.

All of the OK's I've owned (but one P13) had a factory installed rudder. The T13 performs great w/o one, but having one makes fishing from a kayak that much more enjoyable.

Also, the Ocean's come with a lifetime warranty.

Just to add, if you are thinking strongly about staying at 13', take a look at the Hobie Quest 13.....a great paddle kayak for inshore & offshore.

BTW- I'm 6' 220lb. :-)
  • flbowman1flbowman1 Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I noticed that the seat width and leg length is the same for the Trident 13 and 15. So I would give the edge to the Trident 13 because it would be less weight and less kayak to tow.
  • PickledvolvoPickledvolvo Posts: 189 Officer
    Lt.FireDog wrote: »
    Although I'm 100% Mirage Drive Hobie, and would have a hard time going back to a pure paddle kayak....

I do find myself using the Revo 13 more and more. Hobie makes such a great product!
    "I throw empty beer cans at the TV when I'm watching the news.
    I hate republicans, I hate democrats, I hate liberals too!"