Skip to main content
Home Conservation Front

FWC lionfish meeting

LinesiderLinesider MemberPosts: 84 Deckhand
I posted this on the general thread but figured it might be helpful here too. If you were thinking of attending the FWC meeting this Tues.-Thurs., forget it. I got an email today from the FWC about it and that it's open to the public, but when I went to get the free entry ticket it said none were available :(

Oh well, here is my suggestion on lionfish (to be taken with a grain of salt). Create some more no take zones so lionfish can multiply even faster.

Replies

• Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Senior Member Posts: 4,845 Captain
    Linesider wrote: »
    I posted this on the general thread but figured it might be helpful here too. If you were thinking of attending the FWC meeting this Tues.-Thurs., forget it. I got an email today from the FWC about it and that it's open to the public, but when I went to get the free entry ticket it said none were available :(

Oh well, here is my suggestion on lionfish (to be taken with a grain of salt). Create some more no take zones so lionfish can multiply even faster.

good idea on the no take zones:wink
  • esteroestero Senior Member EsteroPosts: 2,041 Captain
    I watched a lot of the meeting on TV. It seems that there are a lot of studies being done. Many studies are very good and have a positive outcome. The only thing I worry about is that you can study something over and over but never come to a solution. It seems that a reward system would help get rid of them.
    Why not offer a money reward for each fish? The cost of all the studies has to be tremendous and nothing is being done in the mean time.
    Restaurants could profit also by paying a small amount for each fish brought to them so they can serve them. They are supposed to be excellent eating.
    Something has to be done now and 2 or 3 years from now will be too late. No take zones are a joke.

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

• Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Senior Member Posts: 4,845 Captain
    When the Feds would let me dive the Biscayne Park, I and the folks with me did a little lionfish killing, maybe 3 a trip over 5 trips. Not much but every one hopefully helps.
  • esteroestero Senior Member EsteroPosts: 2,041 Captain
    $5 per 100 as mentioned at the meeting isn't much of an incentive either. What about $20 per 100? There aren't many that will turn in 100. If there are a lot that turn in a 100 all the better. What will the cost of many studies be and end up not being a worthwhile project?
    Don't forget the restaurants. Maybe a deal could be made with restaurants to purchase lionfish for a good price. They could serve them as a special when they have them.

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

• ChuggerChugger Member Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    They don't even know how many lionfish are in Florida waters, which I would think is the first place to start before doling out money to study what to do.