Braid to Mono connection

2»

Replies

• Anonymous2Anonymous2 Posts: 1,964 Officer
    The main thing that I'm looking for is a slimmer knot as I use a long floro leader, and casting two thick knots through the guide eyes has it's down falls. After trying the red phillips, I'm moving to try some others.
  • crossbonescrossbones Posts: 127 Deckhand
    splashmob, don't know if it would be helpful but on 360 there is a guy named pametfisher who makes lighter windons specifically made for casting. very small, thin serve that supposedly goes through the guides very well when casting.

i know the delphs down in the keys are actually deep dropping with lighter gear and braided line in the 10lb class. it would obviously make a lot of sense and increase catching ability by having superior knot strength when downsizing gear.

but most of the applications i see are of guys increasing line class on undersized reels. 100% knot strength when using 100lb braid to jig for aj's with a reel that has max drag of 30lbs is probably unnecessary. of course, there is never a reason to avoid trying to get better and for those pushing the limits of gear, which steve does on a regular basis, it only makes sense to do so. i waas just curious what his applications are.
    Thanks, I will check it out!
  • TwentyFourSevenTwentyFourSeven Posts: 93 Deckhand
    This is the knot I was talking about. Its almost perfect except for the tag end that is left sticking out. I can not figure out how to get rid of it. I have used this knot before and its great but the tag end sucks for reeling back in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N0mCf0AIAA
    SANY0201-1.jpg
    This is the knot I was talking about. Its almost perfect except for the tag end that is left sticking out. I can not figure out how to get rid of it. I have used this knot before and its great but the tag end sucks for reeling back in.

So, you don't have to double your braid with this knot??
    I can deal with the return bump on the guides, just hate the bump on cast.
  • Fintastic.IncFintastic.Inc Posts: 251 Deckhand
    That "Sebile Knot" is "their" form of a hybrid FG knot. It is the pretty much the same knot just tied a bit differently and finished different also. I think they stole it and changed it a bit is all.

Splash- No, there is no double line with any of these knots, like I said before which ever knot you use to make your double (Spider hitch, Bimini, ect) is going to be your weak point. If you are going to double it up try the platted double as it is much stronger.

Mike- Those Torsa reels have an 80 lb bottom fishing cam that will increase the drag a ton. This is my situation and has been for quite some time now. Hence one of my needs for the best connection. I am also only using 65 lb on most of my jigging rods some have 50 lb. Plus I cant stop trying to learn new things, and I love to put extra pressure on bigger fish with the old thumb trick...
    www.fintasticinc.com
    Lagerhead Fishing Team
    Team Cabo Loco
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 Officer
    I love this forum! thanks for all the info. Lets have a knot tyin contest for charity at the OT BASH? Whozz in?
    When I was younger, I could remember anything...

whether it had happened or not.

Mark Twain
    Thanks Fin- I think I found my new knot, the sebile is quick and easy.
    Thats what I thought.

Mark Twain
  • crossbonescrossbones Posts: 127 Deckhand
    steve, have you tried using a hollow core braid and splicing to your leader? i know some of the tuna guys on 360 were doing some testing with jb 60 hollow and found that its breaking strength was 100+ lbs. it is also very thin and supple, rather than stiff. i think i am going to try to learn this method. i don't know how easy it would be to splice when out in the boat though.
  • DucksterDuckster Posts: 548 Officer
    This is the knot Posted many years ago by an old member.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do9N00S1Nbw

I use it for inshore and it glides through the guides.
    Duck- You are still making a double line with the mono, thus making a weak or breaking point in it.

Mike- Splicing is not something I have done much of yet although it does look like a great connection. But watch out that Jerry Brown is quite a bit more than regular braid, and your right Im not sure I want to be messing with that on the water. Shimano/Power Pro, came out with their new hollow core line and I am getting a few spools soon. Ill let ya know after I use it for a bit.
    www.fintasticinc.com
    Lagerhead Fishing Team
    Team Cabo Loco
    Wind ons are the best and easiest to re tie when offshore for big tackle if you dont want big knots banging the eyes. I keep extra wind on's on the boat. Just double the braid and put on the wind on, couldnt be easier. If the braid is breaking because of the doubled line then get the next size up braid. I use 130lb braid with a 125lb wind on, then I use 4' of 100 lb leader. When snagged on the bottom my 100 lb leader always breaks before anything else. It is very rare that we have to ever re tie anything besides the 100 lb leader when offshore. I have had the same wind on's on my rods since last year.
    SANY0201-1.jpg
    Wind ons are the best and easiest to re tie when offshore for big tackle if you dont want big knots banging the eyes. I keep extra wind on's on the boat. Just double the braid and put on the wind on, couldnt be easier. If the braid is breaking because of the doubled line then get the next size up braid. I use 130lb braid with a 125lb wind on, then I use 4' of 100 lb leader. When snagged on the bottom my 100 lb leader always breaks before anything else. It is very rare that we have to ever re tie anything besides the 100 lb leader when offshore. I have had the same wind on's on my rods since last year.
    Can ya post any link to yer ties? I would really like ta learn those ties! They sound fantastic. Too many ties wont break when caught on bottom. It happens! I hate losen half my spool. Thanks.

Mark Twain
    Lee- Wind-on leaders are great and solving the double line knot problem by up scaling your main line is a good idea. But those wind-on leaders are pretty expensive even if you make them yourself, not to mention mono lasts only so long and after a year I'm sure the spectra holding the mono together is much weaker than when new. With these knots spending 12-15 bucks for one leader is gone, and is much easier to change leader up or down depending on what you are targeting.
    www.fintasticinc.com
    Lagerhead Fishing Team
    Team Cabo Loco
    Popeye wrote: »
    Can ya post any link to yer ties? I would really like ta learn those ties! They sound fantastic. Too many ties wont break when caught on bottom. It happens! I hate losen half my spool. Thanks.

All I do is a double overhand knot in the braid. The wind ons I make my self because I like to have at least 50' of mono for some stretch. I buy the black wind on material and rigging needles from Captain Harry's out of Miami. There are plenty of videos on youtube for making wind on leaders. The key is to make your 4' leader at the end of your rig the weakest link at 100 lb. That was you never re tie anything but the 4' leader or loose weights. One wind on leader lasts me 1 year before I change it. You can buy wind on leaders at Dogfish if you dont want to spend the time to make them.
    SANY0201-1.jpg
  • jaymjaym Posts: 105 Deckhand
    For a completely smooth knot I use something called a Naples knot. Basically it works like Chinese finger trap we all had as kids. I have never had this knot fail. I can think of two break-off when using this knot and both time it happened in the braid when I palmed the spool.

Here are two links. The original one was on the Maverick forum but I cannot find it.
    http://i292.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid292.photobucket.com/albums/mm21/captandywerner/MVI_0089-2.flv
    http://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-forum/showthread.php?61390-Naples-Knot

Jay
    Jay- That "Naples knot" is just another way to tie the FG knot. Although in that vid he only finished it with one half hitch which I do not think I would do. If you tie that knot that way I would suggest making a few more half hitches then finish it with an upside down uni knot. You tube is great but just because someone made a vid does not mean they are doing it the right way.
    www.fintasticinc.com
    Lagerhead Fishing Team
    Team Cabo Loco
    Fin. I have never heard of the FG knot but I do not build wind ons. I agree I do not finish it with only a half hitch. I do a half hitch and the back wound uni. If I am home I will take a lighter and melt the tag end to kep it from fraying.
  • the great wallthe great wall Posts: 254 Officer
    The best thing about both of these knots is they give a you a super strong connection without having to tie any knot what so ever in the mono leader (making it weaker). They are a bit long (to tie and in length) but are no thicker than the braid you are using.

Its a chinese finger trap knot and gives 100 percent break strength. The FG knot is easy to tie as well. I'm so used to fishing braid and now this connection gives me my line strength back to me without having to splice my line.
  • Region RatRegion Rat Posts: 66 Greenhorn
    I have not had any problem with uni to uni. Here are some animated knots

http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html

RR
  • goddfaddagoddfadda Posts: 111 Officer
    I've been doing uni to uni and its working great. Just went out this past week caught dozens of red grouper to 15 lbs on 65 braid -> 60 lb mono leader, strung uni to uni. Never had a problem. Only tackle I had to change was a bent 5/0 hook! That proves the knot strength :)
    :Rockon
    Idlewilde wrote: »
    Red Phillips knot. Easy to tie & never fails. :thumbsup

:Rockon

There has been a lot of discussion here over the years about this type of connection.

I agree that the "Chinese Handcuff" type connection used for wind-ons is probably the smoothest and strongest connection - if you use hollow core braid.

But - for a small, super strong and fast tying connection for solid braid the Red Philips cannot be beaten...

The uni to unit creates a larger knot on the fluor/mono side of the knot than the Red Philips.

also there is only one strand of fluoro or mono under the braid's uni knot as compared with the Red Philips which has two...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAbXaGYaaIo
    Sportfishing mag did an article about braid to mono connections a while back. They had readers send their knots to them and they tested them on a machine. The FG knot took 1st, and 2nd by a wide margin. People sent in Bristol knots, Red phill knots, unis, and just about every other knot you can think of. NONE of them even came close. This thread is about the "Strongest" knot not the fastest or easiest knots.

By the way I spent last week up in Venice Louisiana and got an 88,92,104 lb Yellowfin on 50 and 65 lb braid using my new PR knot with Top water plugs. Knot never hung up and didn;t even come close to breaking it, I'm sold. FG or PR.
    www.fintasticinc.com
    Lagerhead Fishing Team
    Team Cabo Loco
  • CoolweiserCoolweiser Posts: 114 Officer
    21 turn Allbright special with 3 half hitch locks.
    Sportfishing mag did an article about braid to mono connections a while back. They had readers send their knots to them and they tested them on a machine. The FG knot took 1st, and 2nd by a wide margin. People sent in Bristol knots, Red phill knots, unis, and just about every other knot you can think of. NONE of them even came close. This thread is about the "Strongest" knot not the fastest or easiest knots.

By the way I spent last week up in Venice Louisiana and got an 88,92,104 lb Yellowfin on 50 and 65 lb braid using my new PR knot with Top water plugs. Knot never hung up and didn;t even come close to breaking it, I'm sold. FG or PR.

Fin,

I looked at the article in SFM. You are right they are basically the same knot but the method to the FG looks easier to tie, especially in the wind. I have not tried it much but planning to.

Jay
2»